Join our zoo community

discussion on anything else

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by jay, 30 Dec 2006.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Because I'm sick of the arguements going on I've been trying to think of another thread, unfortunately haven't succeeded. I was thinking - which is your favourite zoo - but then perhaps that would lead to more arguements. On the other hand at least it would simply be a persons opinion and not those who know more trying to correct those who don't.

Anyway if you have any ideas throw them in.
    Ta
    Jay

2. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Good thoughts Jay! ;)

I've seen most of the major zoos in the region over the past few years, and I think I'd have to say that Werribee is among my favourites. They have a nice range of species, obviously plenty of land around, and nice, tranquil areas that never seem to be crowded with people (I always think that the thing that spoils zoos most is the visitors!)

The savannah exhibit has some great visits - very much like parts of Africa, and the ability for visitors to get so close to such impressive mega fauna is a big plus. Their newer exhibits (those designed by Portico) are really impressive, and are done on a relatively small budget, compared to the money that is spent in other zoos.

I also like the way they continue to work with the local schools and communities to encourage cleaning up of the Werribee River, revegetation work, and other conservation-based initiatives, even though their budget is relatively modest compared to their big sister in the city.

It gets a big thumbs up from me!

3. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

can i have 3 favourites?

perth, edinburgh and london zoo would be my top 3...not because of the great exhibits they have etc, but for their field conservaion work and dedication to the environment.
    exhibit-wise i like taronga, melbourne and barcelona.

4. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I think I would have to say that Melbourne is my favourite, biased a bit from happy childhood memories, the modern exhibits are great and I love the elepgants/orang combo. Their free flight aviary is great too. It's easy to walk around (unlike Taronga) easy to get to for a visitor and even on busy days it doesn't feel crowded as much as Taronga. Taronga and Melbpourne are the two zoos I have visited the most. Others like Adelaide and Mogo I have only visited once and so cannot really make a judgement on them.

5. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i've never been to any zoos other than taronga, melbourne and werribee (i've never been able to convince anyone to ever join me on a trip to dubbo!).

i think werribee is slowly turning into an amazing open range zoo. i agree that portico do a great job of melbourne and werribee's exhibits. and i just love the main savannah floodplain - they really scored a great patch of land there. the idea of a drive through tour on specialty safari buses has always been a strongpoint of the zoo too. its getting even better now they slowly attempting at "africanising" these areas. a few palms here and there would make a big difference. and it does have all the star african animals. it just needs more to do and see - the masterplan is addressing this however..

taronga has an amazing location, simply gorgous. but as wonderful as it is it is equally a hiderance in some respects. i am eternally jealous of the fantastic gardens that zoo has. i reckon it'll remain the most famous zoo in australia.

but obviously i just love melbourne zoo.....

6. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Taronga my number one

I have been lucky to visit a few zoos in the USA that are regarded as some of the best zoos in the world, but i still believe that on a nice spring day, there is no better place than Taronga.

7. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Good zoos that I have visited

San Diego Zoo
    Houston Zoo
    Singapore Zoo
    Malaka Zoo ( or however it is spelt )
    Melbourne Zoo
    Perth Zoo
    Taronga Park
    Auckland Zoo

Overrated / poor zoos I have been to include

National Zoo ( Wahington DC ) mediocre
    San Francisco Zoo poor
    Seoul National Zoo poor
    The list used to include Wellington Zoo , but there has been serious efforts made to upgrade the quality over the last decade or so .

8. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

san Francisco

I visited San Francisco a few years ago. While it wasn't great, i don't know if i would call it poor. like all zoo's it had areas that need work but it had some exhibits that i thought were ok.

9. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

San Francisco Zoo

I visited San Francisco Zoo about 18 years ago . Where most decent zoos at that time were moving away from the bars/cages/pits , San Fran Zoo had barely started .
    I will assume that Boof has visited it more recently than I have , so I am pleased that they have finally woken up .
    But it is not surprising that it is not a "fantastic" zoo .

10. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i've read a fair amount of newspaper articles that imply the san fran zoo still cops a degree of citicism for its exhibits..

melbourne still has a couple of really crap exhibits - the baboons, seals, bears and rigo's lousy ape grotto..

11. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

well the baboons are moving within 6 months i belive, seals when does tht start construction?