Join our zoo community

Disney's Animal Kingdom® Park Disney's Animal Kingdom Species List 03/22

Discussion in 'United States' started by PaintedDog, 21 Mar 2022.

1. PaintedDog

PaintedDog Member

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here! I just returned from a family vacation to Walt Disney World and while I was there I decided to catalog the species that I saw in order to get a more up to date list for ZooChat. This list is as complete as I could get as I asked keepers and trail educators all kinds of questions, but at the end of the day I could be missing species, especially from their behind the scenes and ambassador collections. Anyway, that preamble out of the way, here's my species list from March 2022.

The Oasis
    The oasis is made up of about 9 different exhibits, but only eight were inhabited on my visit. This area isn't geographically centered nor is it centered around a specific biome, but it is more of just a collection of species that they decided to put into the park. Most of the pools housed fish but none were signed nor could I see more than just their silhouette so I could not identify them. Most species here are unsigned.
    • Spoonbill Exhibit- A large pool with decent land space and tons of foliage.
      • Red-breasted goose (Branta ruficollis)
      • African spoonbill (Platalea alba)
      • Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)
    • Waterfowl/Wallaby Exhibit- This exhibit is split down the middle with a netting barrier that has a hole that allows waterfowl to get through but not the wallabies.
      • Rosy-billed pochard (Netta peposaca)
      • Spotted whistling duck (Dendrocygna guttata)
      • Redhead (Aythya americana)
      • Australian wood duck (Chenonetta jubata)
      • Indian spot-billed duck (Anas poecilorhyncha)
      • Dama wallaby (Notamacropus eugenii)
    • Anteater Exhibit- A decent sized sloped exhibit with a moat out front that the animal can access. Well foliated.
      • Giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla) [Signed as Southern giant anteater]
    • Waterfowl Exhibit 2- A very large pool with land space and a waterfall. Features lots of unsigned species of waterfowl all through the exhibit. Probably my favorite exhibit in the Oasis.
      • Black-necked swan (Cygnus melancoryphus)
      • Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)
      • Red-crested pochard (Netta rufina)
      • Eurasian wigeon (Mareca penelope)
      • Ferruginous duck (Aythya nyroca) [Only female seen so possible misidentification]
      • Chiloe wigeon (Anas sibilatrix) [Not seen but was signed]
    • Iguana Exhibit- A rocky small outdoor enclosure with a small pool in the front. Animal appeared to be off exhibit but heat lamps were on throughout the morning so possibly just hiding.
      • Rhinoceros iguana (Cyclura cornuta) [Not seen]
    • Muntjac Enclosure- A very long and well-foliated exhibit. Despite passing by about six times along two different days, I only saw it one time on my way out on the last day.
      • Reeves's muntjac (Muntiacus reevesi)
    • Waterfowl Exhibit 3- This exhibit features the smallest pool of the three (four if you count spoonbills) waterfowl exhibits. Same with the muntjac, despite passing by this exhibit multiple times, I only saw animals in this exhibit one time. Could be more species rotated here.
      • Plumed whistling duck (Dendrocygna eytoni)
      • Yellow-billed duck (Anas undulata)
    • Empty Exhibit- Decently-sized pool with high rocky cliffs around it. It was empty on this trip but I have seen different waterfowl species here in the past, so possibly used?
    • Babirusa Exhibit- An exhibit a bit deeper but very similar to the anteater exhibit in structure with the sloping ground space.
      • North Sulawesi babirusa (Babyrousa celebensis)
    Discovery Island
    Serving as the hub of the park, this space houses the Tree of Life, a massive artificial baobab tree with animals carved into it. Around the tree are a bunch of smaller exhibits. Similar to the Oasis, these exhibits are not geographically or biome oriented and instead mostly focus on other species that wouldn't fit elsewhere in the park.
    • Kangaroo Exhibit- A large grassy space that takes up most of the front of the Tree of Life's garden space.
      • Red kangaroo (Macropus rufus)
      • Western grey kangaroo (Macropus fuliginosus)
      • Lappet-faced vulture (Torgos tracheliotos)
      • White stork (Ciconia ciconia)
    • Flamingo Exhibit- A decently-sized pool that sits in front of the kangaroo exhibit. You can see the roos and the vultures who nest directly behind this exhibit, but it is separated.
      • Lesser flamingo (Phoenicopterus minor)
    • Otter Grotto- The only named exhibit on the island, this is among the best otter enclosures I've personally seen. Features a great land-water ratio, is very naturalistic, and is a really solid size as well as has underwater viewing. This exhibit used to house pacu and other fish, but those have been removed and left a single fish in the exhibit.
      • Asian small-clawed otter (Aonyx cinereus)
      • Banded leporinus (Leporinus fasciatus)
    • Catfish Exhibit- A small pool and stream that stems from the otter exhibit (though separated) with a bridge that goes over it for above-water viewing.
      • Paroon shark catfish (Pangasius sanitwongsei)
    • Lemur Exhibit- A decently sized island to your right when facing the Tree of Life, this exhibit houses four elderly lemurs and (at least) two species of waterfowl that I could see. Features trees for the lemurs to climb as well as plenty of water surrounding it to keep the lemurs out and satisfy the waterfowl.
      • Ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta)
      • Collared brown lemur (Eulemur collaris)
      • Yellow-billed teal (Anas flavirostris)
    • Tortoise Exhibit- A very large, heavily foliated yard housing a single species between Discovery Island and Dinoland U.S.A. I have never even seen this exhibit before this trip despite having been to DAK many many many times. Not sure if it's new, but it does have a very clean and current sign compared to the others that have faded a bit in the Florida sun and weather.
      • Black mountain tortoise (Manouria emys phayrei)
    • Tamarin Exhibit- A tall mesh enclosure that is really foliated but also has artificial climbing structures.
      • Cotton-top tamarin (Saguinus oedipus)
      • Red-footed tortoise (Chelonoidis carbonarius)
    • Porcupine Exhibit- Exhibit used to house cape porcupine (or AC, not sure on which species) but is now empty and sign is covered. Not sure if DAK still houses the species
    • Tortoise Exhibit 2- Decently sized yard with two water features for soaking. Housed multiple tortoises.
      • Galapagos giant tortoise (Labeled as Chelonoidis nigra though not sure which species specifically)
    • Winged Encounters- Not an exhibit, but throughout the day hourly from 11:15-3:15 trainers call in a group of trained macaws to fly over the guests and perch on some "roots" of the Tree of Life. These macaws can free roam before and after according to one of the trainers I spoke to and I can confirm this as throughout the day I saw a few different macaws hanging out in trees throughout the park. The trainer said the farthest they have gone is to Hollywood Studios on Disney property and also told us that they haven't had a parrot go missing nor taken by any birds of prey or other predators and that they can return to their BTS aviary at any point.
      • Blue-and-gold macaw (Ara ararauna)
      • Blue-throated macaw (Ara glaucogularis)
      • Hyacinth macaw (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus)
      • Green-winged macaw (Ara chloropterus)
      • Scarlet macaw (Ara macao)
      • Great green macaw (Ara ambiguus) [Possibly had military macaws as well and some were miss-ID'd but not sure]
    Asia
    Asia is a section of the park themed to, well, Asia, specifically the Indian subcontinent as well as a section of the park themed to Nepal with the Expedition Everest roller coaster. In this land, there is only one area to find animals, being the Maharajah Jungle Trek which is themed to the ruins of an ancient Maharajah's menagerie and houses species from throughout Asia, though most come from the Southeastern Asia region oddly enough. Outside of the trail there are two exhibits as well, though they are technically considered a part of the trail. Asia also houses the Caravan Theater where the free-flight bird show "Feathered Friends in Flight."
    • Siamang Island- A super tall island with artificial "temple ruins" that also includes cables and ropes that allow the animals to leave the island and make their way to other towers in the water around the island for another vantage point for the animals.
      • Siamang (Symphalangus syndactylus)
    • Gibbon Island- A smaller but more spread out island with similar "temple" structures that provide the base of the exhibit.
      • Northern white-cheeked gibbon (Nomascus leucogenys)
    • Komodo Dragon- First exhibit in the trail proper. A very large rocky exhibit with tons of elevation and a climate-controlled rock for basking as well as a decently-sized pool.
      • Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis)
    • Monkey Exhibit- A decently-sized enclosure with a mesh top and two glass viewing windows at either end of the enclosure. This exhibit hosts three females though it used to also host a male.
      • Lion-tailed macaque (Macaca silenus)
    • Monitor Enclosure- A large aquarium-style enclosure with lots of dynamic perching. This exhibit sits within the viewing building for the large bat colony.
      • Black tree monitor (Varanus beccarii)
    • Bat Exhibit- A large meshed-in aviary with tons of height as well as length. Can be viewed from the outside, but the indoor viewing has no barrier so guests have no barrier between them and the bats. Used to house two species but now only houses one.
      • Malayan flying fox (Pteropus vampyrus)
    • Skink Enclosure- A second nearly identical aquarium-style enclosure that houses a different species.
      • Prehensile-tailed skink (Corucia zebrata)
    • Tiger Exhibit- Two different yards separated from each other by underground tunnels. The tunnels are currently closed as one yard houses a female and the other her cub, but I have seen the two be connected in the past when housing a breeding pair. Currently, however, they have no male. One yard is larger with a fountain and pool and can be viewed from the "ruins of a temple" while the other can be viewed from a large bridge between it and a second enclosure. There is a third viewing that has been sealed off for a long while. I believe it is to the second yard.
      • Sumatran tiger (Panthera tigris sumatrae)
    • Hoofstock Exhibit- A long overgrazed yard that extends from the first tiger yard all the way to the second one. This exhibit rotates two sets of species throughout the day so you have to keep your eyes peeled. This is probably the worst exhibit in the park in my personal opinion if only because it is overgrazed where the other exhibits are so lush with foliage. * Represents one group, ** represents the second.
      • Domestic water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)*
      • Bar-headed goose (Anser indicus)*
      • Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra)**
      • Eld's deer (Rucervus eldii)**
      • Sarus Crane (Grus antigone)** [Did not see but was told they house them still]
    • Asian Aviary- A massive free-flight aviary with an immense amount of height and space for tons of free-flying birds. I spent a long time here and didn't even see every species. I also spoke to a few educators who gave me the entire list of species in this aviary and the one in Africa, so this should be the most up-to-date complete aviary list as of posting.
      • Blue-crowned laughingthrush (Garrulax courtoisi)
      • White-rumped shama (Copsychus malabaricus) [Did not see]
      • Chestnut-backed thrush (Geokichla dohertyi) [Did not see in aviary but saw a vet examine one at Rafiki's Planet Watch]
      • White-eared sibia (Heterophasia auricularis)
      • Hooded pitta (Pitta sordida) [Did not see]
      • Tawny frogmouth (Podargus strigoides)
      • Metallic starling (Aplonis metallica)
      • Black-collared starling (Gracupica nigricollis)
      • Red-billed leiothrix (Leiothrix lutea)
      • Mindanao bleeding-heart (Gallicolumba crinigera)
      • Ring-necked dove (Streptopelia capicola)
      • Plum-headed parakeet (Psittacula cyanocephala) [Did not see]
      • Pale-headed rosella (Platycercus adscitus) [Did not see]
      • White-breasted woodswallow (Artamus leucorynchus)
      • Golden-crested myna (Ampeliceps coronatus)
      • Crested wood partridge (Rollulus rouloul)
      • Falcated teal (Mareca falcata)
      • Indian pygmy goose (Nettapus coromandelianus)
      • Masked lapwing (Vanellus miles)
      • Green junglefowl (Gallus varius) [Did not see]
      • Great argus (Argusianus argus)
      • Common emerald dove (Chalcophaps indica)
      • Nicobar pigeon (Caloenas nicobarica)
      • Pied imperial pigeon (Ducula bicolor)
      • Green imperial pigeon (Ducula aenea)
      • Victoria crowned pigeon (Goura victoria)
    • Feathered Friends in Flight- A free-flight show on a stage themed to the same crumbling Maharajah's temple as the Maharajah Jungle Trek. This show used to be more theatrical but is now a (still scripted) more standard ambassador presentation. I saw this show twice on two different days so the species list varied a little bit. I'm also confident they use other species I did not see as in past trips I've seen cockatoos, Andean condors, and other species, though I don't know if any of these species are still present.
      • Domestic chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
      • White-naped raven (Corvus albicollis)
      • Hadada ibis (Bostrychia hagedash)
      • Roseate spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)
      • Southern ground hornbill (Bucorvus leadbeateri)
      • Trumpeter hornbill (Bycanistes bucinator)
      • Pied crow (Corvus albus)
      • Great horned owl (Bubo virginianus)
      • Domestic rat (Rattus norvegicus domestica)
      • Yellow-naped amazon (Amazona auropalliata)
      • Marabou stork (Leptoptilos crumenifer)
      • West African crowned crane (Balearica pavonina)
      • Bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
      • Harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja)
      • Blue-throated macaw (Ara glaucogularis)
      • Toco toucan (Ramphastos toco)
      • Domestic pigeon (Columba livia domestica)
      • Harris's hawk (Parabuteo unicinctus)
      • Yellow-headed amazon (Amazona oratrix)
      • Eurasian eagle-owl (Bubo bubo)
    Africa- Africa is an area themed to, well, Africa. Set in the fictional town of Harambe, this land is heavily themed and is probably the most aesthetically pleasing area in the park in my personal opinion. There are two areas to see animals here; the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail and the Kilimanjaro Safaris, an attraction that has you ride through the exhibits but doesn't stop which I know irks some Zoo Chatters. For me, I've done the Wild Africa Trek before and have gotten to stop on it and it is definitely worth it if you have the extra money. We didn't do it this time, but it is operational.
    • Kilimanjaro Safaris Queue- At the entrance of the queue there is a small yard. It appeared to be currently under construction and thus had nothing in it. Normally, however, it houses West African crowned crane.
    • Little Ituri Forest- A forested area that serves as the first biome you pass through on the safari. This forested area has three species free-roaming throughout the area. There are also two separate exhibits on the side that are separated by moats.
      • Saddle-billed stork (Ephippiorhynchus senegalensis)
      • Greater kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros)
      • Bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus)
    • Okapi Exhibit- On the right-side of the Safari vehicle you pass by a large exhibit separated from the roadway by an unseen moat. This is a lush habitat that houses two species.
      • Okapi (Okapia johnstoni)
      • Yellow-backed duiker (Caphalophus silvicultor)
    • Rhino Exhibit- Two large yards to the left side of the vehicle. Both feature access to a large pool of water. The yards are separated and thus can house two individual animals.
      • Black Rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis)
    • Safi River- Two exhibits separate from each other. One on the right side of the vehicle, the other on the left side. Both are almost entirely water with a small bit of land space. The one on the left houses an island in the center which houses pelicans as well as many native black vultures. The left exhibit is much larger as it houses the entire bloat of hippos while the one on the right usually houses two males though I only saw a single one on any of my three safaris I took.
      • Common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius)
      • Pink-backed pelican (Pelecanus rufescens)
    • Crocodile Exhibit- An exhibit on the other side of the wall from the larger hippo enclosure. Like the hippo enclosures, this exhibit is mostly water with some beaches and an island in the water.
      • Nile crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus)
    • Western Savannah- A massive sprawling savannah that houses many free-range hoofstock species. This savannah is lush and grassy and features tons of space for all of the animals that share it.
      • Masai giraffe (Giraffa tippelskirchi)
      • Hartmann's mountain zebra (Equus zebra hartmannae)
      • Springbok (Antidorcas marsupialis)
      • White-bearded wildebeest (Connochaetes taurinus)
      • Ankole-Watusi cattle (Bos taurus)
      • Patterson's eland (Taurotragus oryx pattersonianus)
      • Sable antelope (Hippotragus niger) [Did not see but safari driver did say to look out for them]
    • Den Enclosure- A separate enclosure on the left side of the vehicle in the Western savannah right after coming down the hill into the savannah proper. This exhibit rotates between the two species with the painted dogs using the exhibit in the morning and daytime and the hyenas using it in the afternoon and evening
      • African painted dog (Lycaon pictus)
      • Spotted hyena (Crocouta crocuta)
    • Monkey Point- An exhibit on the left-side of the safari vehicle. This exhibit is up on a hill with rocks and trees and houses a troop of mandrills.
      • Mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx)
    • Elephant Enclosures- There are two elephant enclosures. The smaller one is across from Monkey Point and houses a single bull elephant. The second exhibit is much larger (around 10 acres!) and houses a herd of female and juvenile elephants.
      • African bush elephant (Loxodonta africana)
    • Flamingo pool- A pool with islands that form the shape of a Mickey Mouse head. Hosts a whole flock of flamingos as well as the visiting wild mallards.
      • Greater flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber)
    • Eastern Savannah- After passing by the elephants we enter the Eastern savannah. This exhibit is more forested than the Western savannah and is tighter with fewer species.
      • White rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum)
      • Bontebok (Damaliscus pygargus)
      • Common ostrich (Struthio camelus)
      • Ellipsen waterbuck (Kobus ellipsiprymnus)
    • Cheetah Exhibit- Two hilltop grassy exhibits with rocks and plenty of shade. Each exhibit houses a pair of cheetahs. They are relatively far away which gives the animals more privacy from the vehicles and guests.
      • Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)
    • Lion Kjope- A large rock structure on the left side of the vehicle. This is really impressive with height and some good space usage. The lions are usually visible as well due to rock placement.
      • Lion (Panthera leo)
    • Warden's Post- A huge pasture with a "warden's home" taking up the newest section of the safari. This exhibit was built for scimitar-horned oryx, zebras, and a few other species over the years, but now only houses goats.
      • Domestic goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
    • Colobus Enclosure- The first enclosure on the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail. This is a very tall mesh-top enclosure that is made to look like a research habitat for the species. This features lots of artificial perching, but still looks great and well-themed, plus fits the animals' needs really well.
      • Angolan colobus (Colobus angolensis)
    • Okapi Enclosure- A heavily forested exhibit with lots of trees and grass and other plants. Features a sloping design like the anteater and babirusa with a small moat separating the animals from the fence. Similar exhibit to the one on the safari.
      • Okapi (Okapia johnstoni)
      • Yellow-backed duiker (Cephalophus silvicultor) [Didn't see]
    • Discovery Building- This building had five separate tanks housing different species as well as a very large viewing of tunnels for the naked mole-rat. There were two enclosures covered with a green tarp that I couldn't see into. Unclear if there are still animals in them or not, but they were not visible. Each species was in a different enclosure
      • Naked mole-rat (Heterocephalus glaber)
      • Arabian spiny mouse (Acomys dimidiatus)
      • African pancake tortoise (Malacochersus tornieri)
      • Kenyan sand boa (Gongylophis colubrinus)
      • Ball python (Python regius)
      • Dumeril's boa (Acrantophis dumerili)
    • Aviary- Very large free-flight aviary, much like the one for Maharajah Jungle Trek. This exhibit is more foliated and less themed. It also features a large pool that takes up most of the middle of the aviary and houses multiple species of cichlid. I got a few IDs from a sign on the wall but there are other unsigned cichlid species.
      • Hamerkop (Scopus umbretta)
      • Taveta golden weaver (Ploceus castaneiceps)
      • White-headed buffalo weaver (Dinemellia dinemelli)
      • African jacana (Actophilornis africanus)
      • African pygmy goose (Nettapus auritus)
      • Marbled teal (Marmaronetta angustirostris)
      • Black crake (Zapornia flavirostra)
      • Blue-headed dove (Turtur brehmeri) [Did not see]
      • Tambourine dove (Turtur tympanistria) [Did not see]
      • Ring-necked dove (Turtur tympanistria) [Did not see]
      • Ring-necked Dove (Streptopelia capicola)
      • Snowy-headed Robin-chat (Cossypha niveicapilla) [Did not see]
      • Red-and-yellow barbet (Trachyphonus erythrocephalus) [Did not see]
      • Green woodhoopoe (Phoeniculus purpureus)
      • Amethyst starling (Cinnyricinclus leucogaster) [Did not see]
      • Purple glossy starling (Lamprotornis purpureus)
      • Southern carmine bee-eater (Merops nubicoides)
      • Olive pigeon (Columba arquatrix)
      • Bruce's green pigeon (Treron waalia)
      • Blue-bellied roller (Coracias cyanogaster)
      • Crested coua (Coua cristata) [Did not see]
      • Great Blue Turaco (Corythaeola cristata)
      • Speckled Mousebird (Colius striatus)
      • (Pyxichromis orthostoma)
      • (Labrochromis ishmaeli)
      • (Paralabidochromis plagiodiodon)
      • (Prognathochromis perrieri)
      • Unidentified bichir
    • Hippo Exhibit- Underwater viewing for a pair of hippos. These are different hippos than are on the safari. Used to house a single male that left for another zoo, not sure where these two hippos came from. Live with a huge group of unidentified cichlid species.
      • Common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibiuus)
      • Unidentified cichlids
    • Meerkat Exhibit- A huge exhibit for meerkats, full of tunnels the animals themselves get to dig and modify. This exhibit sits in front of a zebra enclosure and you can see both animals from the same vantage point.
      • Slender-tailed meerkat (Suricata suricatta)
    • Zebra Exhibit- A large grassy pasture behind the meerkats housing a family of zebras that can be seen from the same vantage point as the meerkats underneath a shade structure.
      • Grevy's zebra (Equus grevyi)
    • Gorilla Exhibit- The best exhibit in the park (besides the whole savannah) and the best gorilla enclosure I've seen in person. This houses two different exhibits full of foliage, rocks, trenches, and space where the animals can live. The gorillas can climb the trees, forage in the plants, and travel down the trench to drink from the pool that is filled by water falls. The second exhibit is similar and houses a bachelor troop. The family exhibit has a viewing window right after the meerkats but the bachelor exhibit can only be seen from a bridge and walkway overlooking it.
      • Western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla)
    Dinoland U.S.A.
    This land is mostly themed to dinosaurs and thus doesn't feature a ton of live species. However, there are two different exhibits here.
    • Crocodile Exhibit- A medium-sized exhibit housing a large pool with a small bit of land space. This exhibit has a metal fence around it making it unique amongst the exhibits in the park, but visibility is still clear.
      • American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus)
    • Stork Enclosure- A medium-sized exhibit on the opposite side from the crocodile. This exhibit features a central pool as well as tons of lush foliage and land space throughout. This exhibit houses two species though only one was seen in my trip.
      • Abdim's stork (Ciconia abdimii)
      • Asian brown tortoise (Manouria emys emys) [Did not see]
    Rafiki's Planet Watch
    A conservation building that you need to take a train to get to. The train passes behind the Kilimanjaro Safaris and lets you see some of the animal barns. I saw a white rhinoceros and her calf as well as an elephant while passing by. The Conservation Station building also houses a few research labs, a vet clinic with a viewing window, a petting zoo, an animal ambassador stage, a working medical lab, a nutrition center, and a drawing class as well as a few non-animal conservation exhibits.
    • Affection Section- A large sandy petting zoo with a handful of species as well as a few offshoot exhibits. Many of the animals have passed away over the years so the collection is thinning. I'd love to see a few more animals be added to the petting zoo in the next few years.
      • Domestic goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
      • Domestic pig (Sus scrofa domesticus)
      • Domestic sheep (Ovis aries)
      • Domestic donkey (Equus asinus) [In offshoot pen]
      • Alpaca (Vicugna pacos) [In offshoot pen]
      • Domestic cattle (Bos taurus) [In offshoot pen]
    • Balance Exhibit- Terrarium exhibit that is outdoors near the animal ambassador stage. Enclosure is labeled "balance" at the top.
      • Komodo Dragon (Varanus komodoensis)
    • Learn Exhibit- Terrarium exhibit that is outdoors near the animal ambassador stage. Enclosure is labeled "learn" at the top.
      • Gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus)
    • Boa Enclosure- A tall terrarium indoors between the nutrition center and the invertebrate exhibits. Featured lots of plants and trees.
      • Puerto Rican boa (Chilabothrus inornatus)
    • Invertebrate Enclosures- A room filled with terrariums for different invertebrates. There were a handful of exhibits right by the viewing window as well as a screen slideshow showcasing those invertebrates as well as others that were at the facility but not on exhibit. May or may not be all of those housed. Each species in its own terrarium.
      • Blue death-feigning bettle (Asbolus verrucosus)
      • Giant thorny walkingstick (Eurycantha calcarata)
      • Cameroon red (Hysterocrates gigas)
      • Emperor scorpion (Pandinus imperator)
      • Desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis)
      • Brazilian salmon pink bird-eating tarantula (Lasiodora parahybana)
      • Giant prickly stick insect (Extatosoma tiaratum)
      • Derbyana flower beetle (Dicronorhina derbyana)
      • Malaysian dead leaf mantis (Deroplatys desiccata)
      • African giant millipede (Archispirostreptus gigas) [Did not see]
      • Rusty millipede (Trigoniulus corallinus) [Did not see]
      • Brazilian cockroach (Blaberus giganteus)
      • Mexican fireleg tarantula (Brachypelma boehmei)
      • Sri Lanka mantis (Gongylus gongylodes)
      • Bumblebee millipede (Anadenobolus monilicornis) [Not on exhibit]
      • Malayan jungle nymph (Heteropteryx dilatata) [Not on exhibit]
      • Harlequin beetle (Acrocinus longimanus) [Not on exhibit]
      • Southern house spider (Kukulcania hibernalis) [Not on exhibit]
      • Mexican red-knee tarantula (Brachypelma smithi) [Not on exhibit]
      • Amazon ribbed tree spider (Iridopelma hirsutum) [Not on exhibit]
      • Sapphire pink-toe tarantula (Avicularia diversipes) [Not on exhibit]
      • Goliath walkingstick (Eurycnema goliath) [Not on exhibit]
    • Reptile Exhibits- A series of exhibits much like the invertebrates where the tanks line the viewing window with a screen displaying all species on it. Again, not sure if these are all the species housed, but they are all the species advertised.
      • Henkel’s leaf-tailed gecko (Uroplatus henkeli)
      • Desert rosy boa (Charina trivirgata)
      • Plated leaf chameleon (Brookesia stumpffi)
      • Blue-tongued skink (Tiliqua sp.) [Unsure of species]
      • Chinese crocodile lizard (Shinisaurus crocodilurus)
      • Egyptian tortoise (Testudo kleinmanni)
      • Annam leaf turtle (Mauremys annamensis)
      • African pancake tortoise (Malacochersus tornieri)
      • Central bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps) [Not on exhibit]
      • Oman spiny-tailed lizard (Uromastyx thomasi) [Not on exhibit]
    • Gecko Enclosure- A tall terrarium enclosure between reptiles and amphibians.
      • Flat-tailed gecko (Uroplatus fimbriatus)
    • Monitor Enclosure- A similar terrarium to the flat-tailed gecko exhibit directly next to it.
      • Black-tree monitor (Varanus beccarii)
    • Amphibians- Very similar to reptiles and invertebrates with individual tanks lining the windows. This exhibit had more terrariums within the room with labels, but many were identical species to those already exhibited.
      • Puerto Rican crested toad (Bufo lemur)
      • African giant bullfrog (Pyxicephalus adspersus)
      • Two-toed amphiuma (Amphiuma means)
      • Vietnamese mossy frog (Theloderma corticale)
      • Colorado River toad (Incilius alvarius)
      • Dyeing poison dart frog (Dendrobates tinctorius)
      • Blue poison dart frog (Dendrobates tinctorius azureus)
      • Golden poison frog (Phyllobates terribilis) [Not on exhibit]
      • Green-and-black poison dart frog (Dendrobates auratus)
      • Argentine horned frog (Ceratophrys ornata) [Not on exhibit]
      • Greater siren (Siren lacertina) [Not on exhibit]
    • Animal Ambassadors- There are definitely more ambassadors behind the scenes, but I caught two animal ambassador presentations next to the Affection section and based my other two species listed as species I saw on a slideshow at the vet clinic.
      • Fennec fox (Vulpes zerda)
      • North American porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum)
      • Aardvark (Orycteropus afer)
      • Long-tailed chinchilla (Chinchilla lanigera)
    So that wraps up the species list. Again, I know they have more species behind the scenes, but I think I did a pretty good job of cataloging every species on exhibit. Hope you all enjoyed!

Total Species Count
    Mammals:
    Birds: 97
    Reptiles: 26
    Amphibian: 12
    Fish: 7
    Invertebrates: 22
    Total: ~219

2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I recently visited and noticed a few discrepancies with your list and what I saw. Some of these were birds you listed that I did not see, but will attribute this to no-shows.
    I'm not sure they actually rotate. I saw sarus Crane, elds deer, and water Buffalo all on exhibit.
    Note that exact species change depending on the show. For instance, I saw a common Raven instead of a white-naped Raven and a verraux's eagle Owl instead of a great-horned Owl.

PaintedDog likes this.
  3. PaintedDog

PaintedDog Member

The aviary bird lists come directly from the sheets the educators are given to carry around to help them answer guests questions. I spoke to one educator who let me take a few pictures of the sheets for this list specifically.

I feel like I've seen them together as well, but talking to the educator stationed on the bridge between hoofstock and tiger said that the "buffalo and geese are out now, the blackbuck, cranes, and deer were out in the morning" which seemed to me like they rotate now, but it's totally possible they just weren't out at that moment.

I thought I had included that the species list for the show changes around, but I re-read and suppose it isn't entirely clear. I saw the Harris's hawk on the second show and great-horned owl on the first and harpy eagle in the first show and Eurasian eagle-owl in the second.

4. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Thanks for this list, also welcome!!!

Summer Tanager and PaintedDog like this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What a fantastic post! Welcome to zoochat :) Your list is very helpful.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the hard work compiling this list. A wonderful first post!

7. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say that for this list being your first post here on ZooChat. I am really impressed for how you were even able to simply put this entire list together as a whole. As a regular to both the park as well as the lodge. Your ability to put an entire species list for this facility has honestly impressed me a lot at best, so big congratulations to you of pulling this whole list off.

BenFoxster and Summer Tanager like this.
  8. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know if I'll be going to Disney's Animal Kingdom anytime soon, but is it possible to ride the Kilimanjaro Safaris twice? I'd love to see both African wild dogs and Spotted hyenas if I by chance am ever able to go :D

9. tiger stingray

tiger stingray Member

you can k
    You can ride it unlimited times all day. The only problem is the long line for each ride.

10. pichu

pichu Well-Known Member

ain't that the truth.

11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How long is the wait (on average)?

12. pichu

pichu Well-Known Member

it felt like forever, cause i didnt have a watch or anything but i think it was around 30-ish minutes?

BenFoxster likes this.
  13. Summer Tanager

Summer Tanager Active Member

This is a truly impressive post! Thank you for the detailed lists and all of the hours that you put into the descriptions of each exhibit - this is very helpful to potential visitors! I just came across this posting last night and I was blown away by the amount of great information. Selfishly, what I appreciate is the opportunity to see how many of the species that I saw during my last visit (July 2008) are still in the collection and still being maintained by Disney. I think that nearly every bird and mammal that I saw 14 years ago is still represented! Thank you for all of your work!!

BenFoxster and PaintedDog like this.