Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens Do I visit here?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Caroline, 7 Jan 2009.

1. Caroline

Caroline New Member

Hi all on the New Zealand Forum.
    I am coming to New Zealand in a couple of weeks :):)and will be looking forward to visiting to a few zoos, I will of course be going to Auckland Zoo but am wondering if I should go to Zion Park, :confused: I have been reading all the news about the park and am not sure what to do. Can anyone give me a clue as to what to do.
    Thanks for any information.
    Caroline :)

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't think anyone can tell you what you should do. You have the information on this forum (which tends to be more informed than most I would say) and on any other sites you wish to search (both for and against the Lion Man). The decision is entirely up to you. Personally I wouldn't visit Zion, simply from a moral standpoint. But I don't hold it against others who do wish to visit.

Hope you have fun in NZ. Check out this thread if you haven't already seen it http://www.zoochat.com/17/nz-zoo-list-12405/

3. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The tv series Lion Man is being repeated on Sky 3 at the moment, which might give you an idea of the place.

4. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan Member

Hmmm... call me cynical, but I suspect the Lion Man TV Series will give you an idea of what the producers want you to see!

I agree with Chlidonias - it really is up to you whether you go and it will depend on what you want to get out of a visit. I suggest you visit their website...

Personally, I would go - but I'd be asking a lot of difficult questions (and this info all comes from their own website): Why are most of the cats hand-raised? Why is a lot of the so-called 'conservation' money being spend on maintaining genetic abnormalities? Why do they keep a solitary baboon, and has any attempt been made to integrate her with a troop elsewhere?

I too hope you enjoy your trip to NZ. I'm sure you'll enjoy Auckland Zoo!

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I've saw a couple of episodes of the series earlier this year. At the time I thought they were in South Africa and he was rescuing orphaned lions, which would explain the unimpressive exhibits. I also thought Busch was a bit of a w*nk*r. (We can't say that word on ZooChat?)

Then I read the threads on this site and learnt more about the operation.

I wouldn't go, simply because there is nothing there to attract me - I can see big cats at any zoo, and most are in much better accommodations. And $60 entrance fee?

Caveats: I do tend to be a bit more critical than the average zoo-goer. And I haven't seen the website either, although I don't think it would change my mind - it would probably reinforce my opinions.

:)

Hix

6. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan Member

$60!??!!! What do they do, give you a lion to take home?

If this really is the admission, then, no, I definitely wouldn't go!