Join our zoo community

Do rich people still have private zoos?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DavidBrown, 10 Apr 2013.

1. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I raise Bison and Whitetail Deer does that count?

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

If they are to be slaughtered, then you're a farmer. If they are for conservation or amusement, then it counts.

3. tschandler71

I was being sarcastic haha. Not like I get rich at it anyway.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is actually very close to Frankfurt. You could do it if you had a spare half a day. I don't know what specialities they have nowadays though.

5. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We arrive on Thursday morning [Frankfurt Airport at 9:15 their time all being well]. Hoping to explore the city that day and maybe do Palmengarten. Friday is devoted to Frankfurt whilst Saturday is devoted to Stuttgart. We leave Sunday evening [fly at about 9:15pm their time so have to be at airport between 6pm and 7pm]. Don't wanna go outside of Frankfurt that day though so we know we won't be far from the airport.

I think the only way it would be possible would be if we do Palmengarten on the Sunday and see if we have enough time on the Thursday after checking into the hotel.

As for specialities, my main 4 reasons for wanting to go are Brown hyena, Southern mountain reedbuck, Yellow-spotted rock hyrax and West Australian Euro [Wallaroo]. It is mainly the wallaroo I want to see as that's a bit of a last chance soloon [the other 3 are species I want to see, but are all about in Europe, I could see all 3 if I did Berlin at a later date].

I doubt we'll end up doing Opel though, I keep trying to persuade AgileGibbon and she really isn't co-operating :p

6. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

So it must be one or the other?

A breeder/farmer can't have conservation outcomes, & if he/she enjoys having the animals there should be no means of remuneration? No wonder protectionist conservation is speeding up the loss of diversity.

In just the recent past, where have the major zoos in Aust received their new blood for several species of antelope, buffalo & deer (I'm sure there are many birds & reptiles too).

The producers/breeders aren't zoo keepers, but I bet they gain a great deal of pleasure from their "stock".

The "zoo klux clan" make it harder each year for breeders or private zoos which are not in the cartel. Still they are happy to consume the stock produced in these private collections which are usually more fecund & genetically diverse than the major zoos.

Again back to my first question.

Khakibob

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

8. tschandler71

Khaki as a native Alabamian zoo klux klan made me spew beer all over my monitor.

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A private zoo of the past here in the UK was that of the singer Tom Jones manager, whose name escapes me for the moment, but which has been referred to on here. He had Tigers, Gorillas & Orangs. Amy at Monkeyworld was born there.
    Henri Quinque in France maintains a private collection including New Caledonian birds & some rare Callitrichids.
    It's NOT being a rich man that prevents me having a zoo.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gordon Mills. He got the idea from seeing the animals at his friend's house(John Aspinall;) ) When he moved to the US the Gorillas and Orangs(apart from Amy) went too and were then dispersed among several US Zoos such as San Diego.

Another would be Christopher Marler though essentially it was a major bird collection with a few mammalian exotics like Bison, Guanaco etc.

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Christopher Marler opened his collection to the public eventually, so I'm not sure if it qualifies as a private zoo.
    One or two of our members may have visited the collection of the late Dr Bourne near Heaton Park north of Manchester; I think he died about 10 years ago. I believe he kept a number of animals including lemurs and at least one hippo.

Alan

Last edited: 16 Apr 2013
  12. FBBird

Do rich people.....?

Martin Bourne had Brazilian Tapirs and a bird collection; hippo was probably a Pygmy

13. Swedish zoo man

Swedish zoo man Well-Known Member

i now that the owner of swedens skansen akvarium has a privet zoo withe ringtheld lemurs, emu, alpaksa and more

14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Christopher Marler still has a zoo,just down the road from the site of his old public one.

15. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exotic pets are pretty popular with the rich in Saudi Arabia, and that's also becoming the case for the rich in China. But I dunno if full on private zoos are common.

16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Even if none exist, a private zoo could easily be created, with all the exotic pets on the market. You would have a lot of choices.

17. FBBird

And you would still need reasonable funds, to have a presentable collection rather than be accused of animal hoarding.
    If I was a rich man, I'd have all sorts of stuff. As it is, I have some birds.

Zygodactyl, TheMightyOrca and Brum like this.
  18. theoriginalMartin

theoriginalMartin New Member

Gordon Mills had a jaguar also, and a gibbon. I saw the collection in about 1973. I think it was in Weybridge, Surrey, on the St Georges Hill estate.