Join our zoo community

Do you edit your photos before uploading to ZooChat? And how?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by LaughingDove, 6 Mar 2015.

1. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

So, I had a search through the forums and couldn't seen any discussions about this and I was wondering what people do to their photos before they upload them. I realise of course that different people will do different things so I am interested in what you do.

I don't actually do very much at all with my photos. My camera takes them as jpegs so I just copy them to my computer from an SD card and basically upload just them. Of course I sort through my photos and only upload the best ones. I sometimes watermark them (I really ought to be more consistent in this respect because I sometimes add watermarks and sometimes don't) and if it is necessary then I crop them. I don't do anything else.

So what do you do to your photos?

:)

2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I use Picassa.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I do nothing, except sometimes I crop them if needed.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I take my photos in RAW, although my little IXUS compact only does jpegs, and I only use that for wide/ landscape photos.

I usually tweak exposure and crop the RAW images in Lightroom, save them as jpegs, and then compress them. They load more easily when compressed.

:p

Hix

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I always shoot RAW (called .nef files by Nikon). Then I download the images with Nikon View NX2, delete the useless ones and backup the rest to separate drive. I now use Nikon Capture NXD for raw conversion on selected images and then save them as uncompressed .tif files. Finally I use Photoshop CS5 to crop, resize and edit the images before saving them as .jpg files for the web.
    This might seem complicated, but it gives me full control of my images.

Alan

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At the very least I downsize the images quite a bit. For general views of enclosures, that is all. For animal shots I sometimes process them in Photoshop Elements, cropping at least, and sometimes using the filter effects in the Plugin software Nik Color Efex. If it is a "good" animal shot I will watermark it.

7. Oddernod

Oddernod Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I live and die by Lightroom - cropping, color, anything I can do to save my less than stellar photo-taking skills.

8. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Thank you all for replying, it is very interesting with almost opposite extremes for some.

9. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm the same, cropping when needed and nothing else.

Of course if I knew how to do something else I might do it! :D

10. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As it was just partially revealed about my editing methods on one of my recent photos, I use Google+ to edit all of my photos and not one doesn't go through that process before it is posted. First I'll add both a touch of Brightness and Saturation, then add a great amount of Detail to thicken and reveal each line, then I'll add a Center Focus to not only add a shade to the outlines but it will lighten the center, then depending on the species (tall/large animals, outdoor animals), and if I don't feel that the photo holds enough vibrance I will turn to the HDR scale. Example below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 20 Apr 2015
  11. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If shooting with a DSLR, you really have to do a little bit of post processing because it isn't done in camera to the same extent that it is in compacts and bridge cameras.

They don't make too many assumptions on your behalf, which I appreciate.

I don't do a lot. Using Photoshop Elements, I do levels first, usually bringing black and white in therefore increasing contrast and saturation a little, then I'll either crop or resize the image to 1024px x 683px if posting on here, then apply a tad of sharpening using Unsharp Mask. A few very quick steps that make a big difference to the image.