Join our zoo community

Do you keep 'species seen' lists?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Fresco3, 26 Jun 2017.

1. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm curious, do you guys keep species seen lists from the animals you have seen in zoos, aquariums or in the wild?

If so, how many species do you have on your list (If it is low enough to count!) and what species are you most proud to have seen?
    How many collections does your list come from?

I only started mine recently and so it only has species from the Isle of Wight Zoo, Amazon World, Birdworld and Sealife: Brighton. I'm currently in the process of adding the Sealife and Birsworld species and I've yet to add Longleat or Chessington World of Adventures species. Soon, I'm heading back to the Isle of Wight and hope to visit the owl and monkey sanctuary there!

So far I'm at 105, but that doesn't include all of my birdworld, chessington, longleat or sea life species yet.

Xenarthra likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there are a couple of other threads about this. I'll see if I can link them later for interest's sake.

For myself, I don't keep lists of what I see in captivity except for Zoochat (as in, when I go to zoos I will often note down everything there and post it on here with a review, because most of the zoos I visit are ones that few other Zoochatters will visit).

I do keep life lists (and country lists and year lists) for wild animals though.

3. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sorry, I did hesitate to post this as I thought it might be a duplicate thread :)

I'll have to read these reviews as they sound like they could be quite interesting! I would also do a wild animal count but I fear I would fail to identify half the species I saw... I admire you for that ;)

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

5. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sort of - I keep a folder with all zoo animal species I've photographed, sorted taxonomically in subfolders. The reason I do this is partly that - to me - it seems more authentical this way (when you perpetuate a rare species on a photo, you can make sure later on that it's indeed the rare species and not just a case of mistaken identity), and partly because it's easier to compare exhibits when you have a series of e.g. lion exhibits in the same folder.

6. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

I keep a list of all the animals (excluding coral and anemonies) that I see in zoos and aquariums. Iv’e been doing it for almost a year but I added animals I’ve seen in zoos before I started my list based on memory. So far i have 776 animals from 25 zoos and aquariums including:

San Diego Zoo
    San Diego Zoo Safari Park
    Monterey Zoo
    San Francisco Zoo
    Chehaw Park
    Orange County Zoo
    Happy Hollow Park & Zoo
    Zoomars Petting Zoo
    Aquarium of The Pacific
    Monterey Bay Aquarium
    Maui Ocean Center
    Zoo Atlanta
    SEA LIFE Kansas City Aquarium
    Featherdale Sydney Wildlife Park
    Flint Riverquarium
    Georgia Aquarium
    Taronga Zoo
    Honolulu Zoo
    Minnesota Zoo
    Sealife Park Hawaii
    WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo
    Wild Animal Safari
    Disney’s Animal Kingdom
    Waikiki Aquarium
    SeaWorld Orlando

Since I’ve been to quite a bit of zoos and aquariums, Iv’e seen a lot of rare animals you don’t see a lot in zoos and aquariums.

The rarest mammal I’ve seen is the Gelada at the San Diego Zoo. These monkeys are no where near to being endangered, but only two zoos in the U.S. have them. (The other being the Bronx Zoo)

The rarest bird I’ve seen is the Guam Kingfisher also at the San Diego Zoo. These birds are extinct in the wild and not many zoos have them.

The rarest reptile I’ve seen is an albino American Alligator at the Flint RiverQuarium. It is estimated there are only 100 albino alligators in the world.

The rarest amphibian I’ve seen in the Panamanian Golden Frog at the San Diego Zoo. They’re critically endangered and even at the zoo, I only saw a single individual.

The rarest fish I’ve seen is the Whale Shark at the Georgia Aquarium. Outside of Asia, the Georgia Aquarium is the only place in the U.S to view these rare fish.

I also have a list of animals I’ve seen in the wild and it has about 250 animals on it. Nothing on it is super rare but some cool animals on that list is American Black Bear, Humpback Whale, Hawaiian Spinner Dolphin, Coyote, Bald Eagle, Sandhill Crane, Pileated Woodpecker, Green Sea Turtle, and Blackfin Barracuda.

Jungle Man likes this.
  7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

For species seen in the wild , yes, but I don't keep an actual list for ticking off those I see in captivity (though I do have a mental bucket list for these).

8. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

There’s a very nice app called iDatabase that I use to keep track of my species, I’ve only entered mammals so far as I’ve only just started but I have 491 so far:)

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only cats (species and subspecies and color morphs), which is my animal obsession.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I have combined wild and captive lifelists for the following groups:

Mammals (840 taxa as of the last complete update in Oct 2019)
    Birds (1823 taxa as of the last complete update in Oct 2019)
    Reptiles (855 taxa as of the last complete update in Oct 2019)
    Amphibians (237 taxa as of the last complete update in Oct 2019)
    Cartilaginous Fish (91 taxa as of the last complete update in Oct 2019)

11. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only mammals in captivity. Somewhere between 460 and 470 atm (species, I do keep track of subspecies but don’t count them) if I’m correct...

12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@EternalPigeon Out of curiosity, may we see you lists?

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  13. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I keep one, but it's pretty short, because I have gone to a lot of other zoos before I started keeping track.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2020
    Hipporex likes this.
  14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I keep track of vertebrates seen in the wild, but I don't keep any lists of captive animals.

15. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

What I do is I keep down the zoos, areas, and animals that didn't show up. This way I can go back home and build a list there or whenever I need it

16. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As of 02/09/2020, I have 927 captive species from 25 collections. My list lists vertebrates only, though some zoos would be far high if invertebrates. As for wild animals, I do keep track of birds on Ebird and the rest on a combined list that several ZC members and I have

17. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Mammals: 655 species, 74 of those in the wild
    Birds: 1604 species, 544 of those in the wild
    Reptiles: 582 species, 45 of those in the wild
    Amphibians; 156 species, 19 of those in the wild
    Fishes: at least 1119 species, 280 of those in the wild
    Total: at least 4116 species of vertebrates seen.

Fishes list is definitely incomplete, some of the others may be as well.
    Number of species could differ slightly when using a different taxonomy.

Hipporex likes this.
  18. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I definitely have a life list. I keep track of all animals (both wild and captive) but I've only started keeping track of non-mammals relatively recently so their numbers are far lower than what I've actually seen. I'm currently at:
    • 273 mammal species
    • 230 bird species
    • 153 reptile species
    • 35 amphibian species
    • 136 fish species
    • 83 invertebrate species
    • (a mere 68 of these are from the wild)
    • 910 animals species total.
    *I've linked it elsewhere on Zoochat but if anyone wants to see what I've seen I can link the list here too.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2020
    twilighter likes this.
  19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My lists are slightly out of date, especially as far as fishes are concerned. However:
    • 867 mammal taxa
    • 1723 bird taxa
    • 999 reptile taxa
    • 228 amphibian taxa
    • 1421 fish taxa
    • 632 invertebrate taxa
    Now the real number of species for most of these groups will be a bit lower than the given numbers, since my lifelist has separate entries for different subspecies of the same species. Additionally, I will occasionally keep track of generic animals I've seen even when I've seen a known subspecific animal simply in order to keep track of what I've seen where in case any information comes to me which could mean I've seen a pure species/subspecies mixed within all those generics. Happens more often than you'd think honestly.

As far as fish go I probably have easily another hundred species in my pile of unidentified animals...

~Thylo

amur leopard and Hipporex like this.
  20. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can only wish to someday have a life list as big as some of your guys'.