Join our zoo community

Do You Know Your Own Zoo? (game)

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by Moebelle, 1 Nov 2012.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is a new game that I am starting that consists of one sentence riddles, facts, or other clues of a certain zoo that you must guess. There must only be one sentence for each turn. Basically it's like the Guess the Species game, if you win, you can go.

I'll start easy...
    1. Since the year of '11, Harry has yet to be a vision

2. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Los Angeles Zoo (Harry the Sumatran Rhino hasn't been put on display.)

3. Moebelle

And that is correct.

4. BeardsleyZooFan

Okay here's one:
    Aung Bo: The First With Tusks

5. Moebelle

Chester Zoo

6. BeardsleyZooFan

Okay, I guess you can go... again.:D

7. Moebelle

Toughy...
    St. Spanish of Primates, Birds, and Herps

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Los Angeles Zoo has a Sumatran Rhinoceros!!:eek: I know they planned on one and worked with Cincinnati but I didn't know they got one of their own. Does the Bronx Zoo plan on getting another Sumatran Rhinoceros for breeding purposes this time? Wait, where'd the Sum. Rhino. come from? Cincinnati?:confused: My brain is rattling right now.

9. BeardsleyZooFan

Harry was born at Cincinnati. Bronx does not plan on getting a new Sumatran Rhino as there are only 3 in the US right now and they're all related.

10. Moebelle

Yes LA has had Harapan for about a year now and has yet to be put on display. For the Bronx, maybe a 1% chance if somehow the Indonesian government sends some of them over then there's a possibility. The other possibility is that Cincinnati successfully uses AI on Suci, and gives birth, and lastly, if a female comes to LA. Apparently, according to the link below, Cincinnati has received sperm from a male from Borneo so that they can use it to inseminate Suci (after I was told this was false when I was at the zoo and that inbreeding Ipuh and her daughter had to be done).
    Sumatran Rhino - The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
    Here's a link on Cincinnati's website that tells their brilliant history with this species, and information on each Sumatran rhino the zoo has been involved with.
    [From the link]

Emi (the hero): Emi, the Sumatran rhino that made history by producing three calves at the Cincinnati Zoo from 2001 – 2008 passed away in her sleep on September 5, 2009. No animal at the Zoo was more beloved than this amazing rhino who contributed more to saving her species than any other Sumatran rhino in the world. Because Emi was so docile and amiable, CREW scientists were able to study her in depth and unravel the mysteries of Sumatran rhino reproduction which led to our successful breeding program….the only one in the world until 2012 when Emi’s first calf sired a baby in Sumatra. Although Emi left us too early, her legacy lives on in her three beautiful healthy calves and her new “grandson”. Emi’s first born, Andalas, was returned to Sumatra to serve as the catalyst for a breeding program in the species’ native land. Her only daughter, Suci, remains at the Cincinnati Zoo and her youngest son, Harapan, is growing up in California at the Los Angeles Zoo. Her grandson, Andatu, is the first Sumatran rhino born in captivity on the island of Sumatra. Those of us who had the privilege to work with Emi will never forget her playful personality, her spirit when facing her mate, Ipuh, or the care she demonstrated when raising her calves. Emi may have left us too early, but the memories she created will last a lifetime and will provide endless inspiration to those of us striving to save the Sumatran rhino.

Ipuh (the ol' timer): Ipuh, Emi’s mate and father of her three calves, has been at the Cincinnati Zoo since 1991. He was one of the original 40 Sumatran rhinos captured to establish the captive breeding program and is the oldest Sumatran rhino in captivity. The Cincinnati Zoo veterinarians and keepers have learned a lot about rhino husbandry from Ipuh, including basic dietary needs that are unique to this rhino species. The first Sumatran rhino semen ever collected and cryopreserved were from Ipuh. CREW’s CryoBioBank contains straws of his semen that have been frozen for over 10 years. When you visit the zoo, you may see Ipuh in his specially designed yard under the shade structure that helps to protect his eyes from dangerous sunlight. On a hot, humid day, he just might be hanging out in his mud wallow enjoying life.

Andalas (the new legacy): In 2007, the Cincinnati Zoo’s first-born Sumatran rhino calf, Andalas, was relocated to the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary (SRS) on the island of Sumatra. Weighing in at 770 kg (~1700 lbs), Andalas is the largest rhino at the reserve and is bigger than his father, Ipuh (here in Cincinnati). Andalas has maintained his childhood love of people and the attention they give him. He is the most well behaved rhino in the reserve for blood collection, foot exams, ultrasound exams and many other hands-on procedures that help the staff maintain his excellent health. Andalas has never been sick or seriously injured and he has adapted to the new forest environment, the change in diet and exposure to many new insects that he hadn’t encountered in the US, without a hitch.

Suci (the main focus for Cincy): Emi and Ipuh, the parents of Andalas, successfully bred a second time in April 2003 at the Cincinnati Zoo. Suci was born in 2004 validating the science that led to the birth of her brother, Andalas, the first Sumatran rhino calf born in captivity in 112 years. Like her brother, Suci was the subject of a behavior study which was published in a peer reviewed journal. The behavior study involved countless hours of observation by trained, dedicated volunteers who logged specific behaviors at specific time intervals. Subsequently, Suci was the focus of a 6 year study to determine when a female Sumatran rhino reaches sexual maturation. This study involved regular ultrasound exams of the ovaries and the analysis of a normal animal by-product (i.e. Suci’s fecal matter) over a number of years. Specific hormones were extracted from the fecal samples and measured over the years to determine when Suci became sexually mature. The results are being summarized for another scientific paper. CREW scientists are continuing to work with Suci to help save her species from extinction. Like her mother, Emi, Suci is currently undergoing regular ultrasound examinations. At appropriate intervals, Suci is being artificially inseminated by CREW scientists using frozen sperm. We are all hoping that Suci will continue to follow in her mother’s footsteps and that she too will become a mother soon.

Harapan (the lasting hope): Harapan was born in 2007 to parents Emi and Ipuh, who are the only captive rhino pair to have three offspring. Harapan is quickly growing up in California at the Los Angeles Zoo. Plans for Harapan are still being discussed by conservationists. Stay tuned to find out where his future lies. Will he return to his native land like his older brother, Andalas? Will the Indonesian or Malaysian governments allow one of their female Sumatran rhinos to come to the United States to mate with Harapan? With so few Sumatran rhinos in the world, each member of the captive population must play a critical role in the race to bring this magnificent species back from the brink of extinction.

Andatu (faith for Sumatra): In June 2012 the International Rhino Foundation(IRF) and the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden announced the birth of a male Sumatran rhino calf in Sumatra. This is the first birth of a Sumatran rhino in an Indonesian facility and the first birth in an Asian facility in 124 years.
    The calf’s mother is Ratu, a 12-year-old Sumatran rhino living at the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary in Indonesia’s Way Kambas National Park. His father is Andalas, born at the Cincinnati Zoo in 2001 and the first Sumatran Rhino calf born in captivity in 112 years.

11. ThylacineAlive

I think a female from Southeast Asia should be sent to breed with Harapan since the U.S. has been doing the best in Sumatran Rhino breeding and since all current Sumatran Rhinos in the U.S. are related. Where's the semen they plan on giving Suci coming from. I hope it's not coming from Borneo because the Sumatran Rhinos in captivity in the U.S. and Indonesia are of the Western Sumatran Rhino subspecies (D. s. sumatrensis) and the rhinos from Borneo are a different subspecies- the Borneo Rhinoceros (D. s. harrissoni) and are currently undergoing their own breeding program in their native country (there currently are three in captivity and only two in a breeding program with onyl around 40 in the wild)
    Borneo Rhino Alliance ? BORA is an NGO which is dedicated to uniting partners in a concerted campaign to save Borneo's Sumatran Rhino from extinction.

12. Moebelle

Anyways is anybody going to guess?

13. Moebelle

I take a try at it. My guess that it is St. Louis because "Saint-St., Spanish for the Spanish buildings, and the building hold the type of species just named".

14. Moebelle

You got it, your turn.

15. Moebelle

Ha can't believe I got it.

-A long time ago, they called me the Randolph Park Zoo

16. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

Reid Park?

17. ThylacineAlive

That'd be my guess.

18. Moebelle

And that guess is right!

19. ThylacineAlive

Yeah but filipinos got it first so he can go.

20. ThylacineAlive

Since no ones gone yet I'll go. It might be a little easy.

Hint:
    Incas, the last bird of his species in captivity, died here in the very same enclosure that another bird went Extinct in nearly four years earlier.