Join our zoo community

Do you think the days of circuses having elephants are numbered?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by elefante, 30 Jul 2016.

1. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Since it's the time of year that fairs are going on across the country (at least in the USA) it got me thinking of how circuses are sometimes a part of fairs. Ringling Brothers no longer has elephants and it seems like they aren't too common in other circuses. Do any of you think elephants will soon be gone from circuses? The other question, is what will happen to the elephants if they are no longer performing? Would they go to zoos, sanctuaries, or stay in private hands for some reason?

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It might be several years before the last ones go out, but yeah, it'll probably end at some point in the near future. As for where the elephants go, I'd wager a combination of what you listed.

3. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The amount of elephant and another animals used in circuses is quickly decreasing. Soon, as I can't wait, they will be just finished under a snap of a finger!

4. elefante

What do you think the reasoning would be for people having them in private hands?

5. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

I hope not, it would be a shame to lose an incredible performance art form to the demands of the AR fringe.

6. elefante

Are there many circuses with elephants in Ireland?

7. lowland anoa

Not really, and it's the same here in the UK!

8. overread

overread Well-Known Member

I think the UK passed a recent law that has made circus performance animals (beyond horses) even harder to keep - least ways a friend I know who's into circus performing mentioned such a law in the last year or two).

Thing is circuses in general in the UK are almost dead; the old travelling circus is certainly not doing well; heck even over ten years ago I recall my family went to a local travelling circus and we were the only people to attend! There's a very few big ones (often in static locations) that are surviving but the circus world has changed, though its still going.

Performing animals are also very out of fashion, barring horses, and circuses also have a rather poor legacy of bad treatment which has marred their history and given a lot of fuel to the fire to stopping them having performance animals. Interestingly in the USA it seems zoos have picked up a little of that performance side with the animals; though its not as strong in the UK (health and safety + insurance + attitudes in zoos I think prevents us getting "tiger"shows and similar that the USA has in some places).

My view is half and half; I see no harm in any animal performing where such a performance is not harmful and could even be a form of general enrichment. If dogs and horses can have fun performing and doing tricks there's no reason other species cannot do likewise. However its got to be done on the animals terms and their care has to be paramount. And of course the old days of a waggon on wheels with a cage atop being the animals only home are not conductive to good treatment; though these days with the ease of long distance travel and with many circuses being more static or limited in target areas it would be more possible to have larger and more suitable enclosures.

9. lowland anoa

I agree, there are even less travelling circuses than there were ten years ago now!