Join our zoo community

Do You Travel?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by zooboy28, 22 Oct 2014.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

In our increasingly globalised world, international travel is now the easiest, safest and cheapest it has ever been. In New Zealand, a huge proportion of young adults go overseas after finishing high school or university, typically to backpack around Europe, America or South-east Asia. This is similarly done in Australia, but seems to be much less prevalent in the Northern Hemisphere.

ZooChatters especially often wish to visit far-flung places, and see their wildlife or zoos. Reading about other member's travels is pretty popular on ZooChat, as evidenced by the widely read travelogues of SnowLeopard, Chlidonias, Hix, etc. And there are many ZooChatters who do go on these trips, even if it is just a "local" visit, e.g. Germany from the UK, or the Caribbean from the US.

I am therefore repeatedly surprised, disappointed and even shocked by some ZooChatters comments that they "wouldn't travel", even from European members, who can travel so easily to "local" countries! In many cases members are too young to independently travel, and that's fine, but surely they would have a desire to? And equally, there are people who cannot due to age or ill-health, which is fully understandable. But why would otherwise able people say they have no desire to see the world, and all the wildlife and zoos it has to offer?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Europe is the ideal place to live for travelers. The extensive train system makes it easy to visit all the neighboring countries. I wish I could figure out a way to live there and spend my weekends visiting various nations.

Air travel is not very fun these days, partly due to the increased restrictions since the Twin Towers attack in 2001. But it is also largely due to the lessening of service brought on by the demand for cheap tickets. So those of us (myself included) who search for the cheapest fares have in one sense ruined air travel for ourselves. Of course if fares were still high as they were before deregulation here in the US, then people like me would not be able to fly anyway.

Another obstacle is language. I speak Spanish so I have had an easy time on my two visits to southern Spain, but for those who do not then solo travel in Spain (or throughout Latin America) would clearly be difficult. Same goes for any country where your native language is not their native language.

Also depends on what there is to see in your own country. The United States is huge and I could easily spend a lifetime visiting various states and still not see it all. With all our country has to offer, some Americans feel there is no need to go overseas.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2014
  3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've spent a grand total of six days of my almost 28 years outside Australia. But I'm working on it. Will double my total of overseas countries in February, and have a rather significant itinerary in the works for 2016-17.

4. zooboy28

These are all good points AD, although I rather suspect that people who don't leave America probably don't travel widely through the country either? And while air travel and languages may cause some issues, neither are insurmountable barriers. I don't speak anything but English, and didn't have any real problems exploring Europe, although my experience would likely have been enhanced by knowing what the locals were saying! :D

5. zooboy28

Well 6/10,000 ain't bad... :D

Obviously you do have some desire to travel, where did you visit on your six days?

6. CGSwans

I went to Bali. Managed to go six days without encountering a drunk Australian, which I think might be a record.

7. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I have been to 28 countries on 5 continents so far and I am only 14 years old.
    Whilst I am fairly sure that I am an exception I am surprised that people don't even want to travel.
    :)

8. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Impressive, I wouldn't have guessed your age.

I travel a fair amount (Zurich yesterday, Vienna today and Bratislava and Antwerp before the end of the week.)
    I think a lot of the interest in travelling grows when you find how easy it is/can be. So I'm not too surprised if younger users aren't very interested yet, and it depends on a lot of other things too, including finances, personality and personal requirements.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm really surprised at LaughingDove's age! I thought you were a fully-fledged adult. Well done on being so mature!

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

*chokes on the understatement*

;)

Travel is one of my absolute favourite things. My list of places to go is ever-expanding - as well as my list of places to go back to!

11. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I enjoy travelling although I do not like flying. I think it must be caused by spending too many hours in airports. If possible I prefer travelling by train or coach. Language is something you will always manage with some creativity. Australia and New Zealand are high on the wishlist but budget has prevented me of going there till now. I have some travels planned till the end of the year although zoos and wildlife will only be a side issue in them.

12. CGSwans

Australian dollar should be about as low as it's going to get sometime next year (hence why I'm glad that I've converted my savings into a mix of USD, GBP and Euros!), but we will always be an expensive country to visit.

One thing I'd recommend any Zoochatter planning to visit Australia do is buy a Zoos Victoria membership in advance, so you can get your card sent in time. I think it's the cheapest of the big four zoos' membership, and covers entry to Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary, Werribee Open Range Zoo, Taronga Zoo, Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Adelaide Zoo, Monarto Zoo and Perth Zoo. Even if you only get to the three main ones - Taronga, Melbourne and Adelaide - you'll make your money back.

13. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

I have probably visited about 20 countries give or take, but since becoming a carer, we haven't done any overseas travel. We went from vacations every quarter, to my wife not being on a plane in three years.

Having said that, we enjoyed travelling when we did it. English was lingua franca wherever we visited, and even in a train station in Budapest, there was a young boy behind me in the queue who was very eager to practice his English to ensure that I bought the right train ticket.

I couldn't be too bothered about local culture and cuisine - I have eaten Chinese food in every town/city that I have visited. My zoo travels only started in the last 5 years, and I did a lot of travelling to locations that appeared in movies. For example, do you remember 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'? Remember when they were in Venice and went into a library and appeared out of the sewers in front a church? Yeah, I've been there - I spent at least 10 minutes arguing with the guy at the gate of the church to let me in to the library and catacombs, but he was insistent that they filmed those scenes in a studio. :D

Anyway, we all travel for different, quirky reasons, but conversely, now that I am a carer, I can understand why some people are quite happy to simply stay in the comfort of their own homes. The world still turns and we can still have a fulfilling life without leaving our state.

14. dunstbunny

dunstbunny Well-Known Member

I do not travel to countries where big fat hairy spiders are customary! :))
    Otherwise I like being elswhere from time to time (not liking the travelling part per se), and preferably places where interesting zoos and libraries are.

15. toto98

toto98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Traveling would be my only passion that surpases zoos, and even when I´m traveling I tend to try and visit some of this places(Recently visited my 30th zoo which was my first in asia). Unfortunately I am still too young (16) to do many things, but I have still visited the UK, france and now India by myself. I would definately consider myself as wanderlust and my goal is to visit as many countries as I possibly can. (actual count: 14 in 4 continents).

I believe that now being in Asia I will be able to visit some neighboring countries (Nepal, Sri Lanka, etc)

16. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've always wanted to do a lot of travel, I've just never had the means. My parents made good salary but my mom has always been really bad with money, so we only traveled to see family. (my dad recently commented to me that he wanted to take us all sorts of places, but couldn't because of my mom) Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever traveled out of state for non-family reasons... (not counting our few short trips to Mexico, we were right by the border. But we never stayed for long)

That said, I've got plans to start running around on my own for a bit. Gonna start small. I'm thinking of taking a bus to Dallas to go to the zoos. I can get to Florida in just a few bus trips, so I've been considering that. I really want to go out with my roommate, we always talk about doing stuff, but then when I try to bring up serious plans she's never up for it. Maybe I can try my friend... But I really wanna go to Florida for snorkeling. Later on I want to try and get to Monterey Bay, California, mostly for the wildlife but I'm definitely gonna see the aquarium when I get there. My big trip I want to go on someday is New Zealand. I've got my heart set on an 8-day whale and dolphin watching tour. Ah, someday.

17. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I have only traveled to Quebec (somewhat out of the way parts of Quebec that most of you have probably never heard of) and various locations in Eastern Canada, also once to Florida. Mexico is on my to do list as is the Caribbean and South America (Columbia is only five hours away by plane!) and I am located centrally between NYC, Boston, and Providence, so I don't have to go too far for culture but still...

My big dream is a trip to the U.K. of all places. Then central Asia (I want to see the Aralkum, or even better:the refilled Aral Sea). I want to do an Eight Thousander mountain sometime in my life (a tall order I know), I need to get going on my mountain climbing skills. My plan is this: If I can get up Rainier I can go try Denali, if I manage well on Denali I can go to Aconcagua, and if that works out well I can see about going to the Himalayas. I have always thought that Concordia Pakistan might be a nice lark so maybe Gasherbrum II, possibly with a detour either on my way in or out to search for either Snow Leopards, Indus Dolphins, or both.

Oh, and the South Pacific. I've always wanted to see that. I could go climb Mauna Kea. I'm hoping to visit every state in the Union before I die, hopefully getting to the highest point in each one.

And Antarctica. And a bunch of other places. Someday, someday. But I need a job first to earn some money.

18. TheMightyOrca

Antarctica! That's pretty bold! I think there are cruises that go there, I bet they have some where you can get out and go around. Seeing Indus dolphins in Pakistan? I'm sooo glad to meet another fan of the species!

Money? Ha, I hear ya. Once I get a decent-paying job I'm gonna start making lots of travel plans. I picked a major in archaeology (though I might switch to primatology, there's still time) in part because I'd get to travel. My dad is really set on me getting to go to Norway someday and tried to convince me to sign up for a reality show to get there. :) Maybe I should...

19. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I was told by multiple people to do something somewhat general as an undergrad, e.g. anthropology, biology, psychology, art history, etc. in the words of one of my professors "how do you know what you want to do as an undergrad?''

My mother wants me to go to British Columbia. I would prefer Alaska.

20. TheMightyOrca

My school just offers "anthropology" as an undergrad degree. If you want to specialize in cultural, linguistic, physical, whatever, you have to go to grad school. I was going to major in biology but I had a lot of problems with some of the other classes required (chemistry, physics...) but I'm still gonna minor in it. I'm going for archaeology, but primatology is so tempting since I'd get to do stuff similar to what I would've wanted to do with a biology degree. I graduate in a semester or two, so I have a LITTLE time to decide...

I'd actually like to visit both BC and Alaska someday, though probably BC first since I'm not much for the cold.