Join our zoo community

Do zoos keep info on orangutan death?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dawnforsythe, 9 Apr 2011.

1. dawnforsythe

dawnforsythe Well-Known Member

Did zoos keep information on the cause of death of orangutans who died in the 1960s? I'm particularly interested in Sadie, who was purchased by Detroit Zoo in 1955, and who died in 1966. I have the stud book info, but I'm trying to find out more and the Detroit Zoo won't respond to my requests for information. Is that normal?

If you are interested, I've blogged about Sadie in my post about the pain of children and orangutans.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd think its a matter of individual zoos and how good their post mortem records were/are and whether they still have them going back that far.

If a Zoo doesn't respond its either because they don't want to give out the information, or more likely perhaps with the dates you are asking about, because they can't answer your question or don't have the relevant records.

3. dawnforsythe

When the zoo doesn't respond to tell you that they don't have the info, the reasonable assumption is that they don't want to tell the public what happened. That's too bad, because it just reinforces suspicions.

I really think that zoos with a strong science or conservation commitment would benefit by being more transparent. Or am I being naive and it is truly all about marketing?

4. dawnforsythe

An official with the Detroit Zoo called me today, and explained that they don't have any records beyond what is in the stud book, nor do they have anyone who can recall anything, regarding Sadie & Jiggs.

I'm sorry I couldn't learn more, but I am happy to see that the zoo employee took the time and effort to respond to my inquiry.