Join our zoo community

Doctor Who Discussion

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zambar, 7 Feb 2010.

1. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Well, in anticipation for Season 31 (OK, Series 5 to keep it simple) starring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan as the Eleventh Doctor and Amy Pond, I shall open this thread for Who fans across the board, from those who've just been enjoying the show when it returned to those who know their Mandrel from their Bandril. To begin with, I shall just go through some of my 'Whovian stats':

First Introduced to Who: The exhibition at Longleat in 2002 and seeing The Ark in Space a couple of years later, but officially 'turned' when it came back in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston.
    Top 3 Doctors: David Tennant, Tom Baker & Jon Pertwee
    Top 3 Companions: Martha Jones, Sarah Jane Smith, Ace
    Top 3 Monsters: Zygons, Sontarans, Silurians/Sea Devils
    Top 3 Stories: Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Blink, Genesis of the Daleks (though I've still got many more to watch!)

2. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

First introduced to Who: I watched an episode with my dad when I was younger. There were Daleks and lots of people with shiny hair. Then there was the Dr Who Exhibition at Longleat.

I must admit, I haven't seen any other episodes of Old Who, and I know I really should but I just can't get into it. So I'll give my top one instead from New Who.

Top Doctor: The Tenth. Who else?
    Top Companion: Donna Noble, for sure.
    Top Monster: I loved the Weeping Angels, and am so glad they're gonna make a return in the new series.
    Top Story: Midnight or Blink. Can't decide.

3. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

And to make it more confusing, they may be calling season 5/31 season 1!

Like Huxleypig, I can't get into the old series so my experience is only really since the 2005 revival, however...

Top doc: David Tennant, although Christopher Eccleston was great in "Dalek".
    Top Companion: Donna, but shut up about being the best temp in chiswick already!
    Top monster: Definitely the gas mask zombies, still the only DW villain to truly scare me, although the weeping angels were clever and I thought millenium fx did a great job on the empress of the racnoss and high priestess of the sybilline.
    Top Story: My favourite is the Girl in the Fireplace, but everything written by steven moffat and paul cornell is great.

4. HuxleyPig

Paul Cornell only wrote Fathers Day, though, didn't he? I too like a lot of Steven Moffat's work, but on other forums, Russell T Davies has had a lot of criticism, which isn't really fair cause I think he writes the best stories.

5. redpanda

Paul Cornell also wrote the brilliant human nature/family of blood two-parter. And I agree with most of the criticism towards Russell T Davies, he is a good writer of drama but his science-fiction is, shall we say, not so good. As such, the only story he has wrote which I consider to be even close to "the best" was midnight, which was principally a drama whilst his most recent script, the end of time, was not the fitting send-off tennant deserved.

6. HuxleyPig

Hmmm, fair enough. I thought it was an exceptional episode, but there we go, lol.

Human Nature and The Family Of Blood were both good, but they're not favourites of mine. But Russell T Davies did write and tidy up a good chunk of it, if you read his book.

7. redpanda

Out of interest, why?

In my opinion, they're better than good although perhaps not in the category of "best". Then again, perhaps they would have been if davies' had not been involved ;)

8. Zambar

I think RTD just relies too much on convenient plot devices, and is often anti-climatic, which is a problem when he tries to 'epic' up each finale. Take 'The End of Time', the Time Lords return, but they go back a minute later because the Master just breaks a few things! But he does characters well, and he has written some good stuff.

9. HuxleyPig

I thought The End Of Time was fantastic because it had that sense of danger as well as being fun. I've always felt RTD can inject the right amount of fun into the drama to make sure it's not a sob fest.

I doubt it. The Daleks In Manhattan and Evolution Of The Daleks two parter were the episodes where RTD did not tweak the script where he would have normally done. He was sick at the time, and he barely got to go through it before it had to be filmed, and that shows on screen. I think you underestimate his work a bit.

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

First Introduced to Who: The Planet of Spiders, original transmission in Australia (around 1975)
    Top 3 Doctors: Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee, David Tennant
    Top 3 Companions: Leela, Sarah Jane Smith, Jo Grant/Rose Tyler
    Top 3 Monsters: Daleks, Sontarans, Cybermen
    Top 3 Stories: Genesis of the Daleks, The Time Warrier, The Talons of Weng Chiang

:p

Hix

11. Zambar

@ HuxleyPig: Oh, and don't get me wrong, I did love the End of Time, the characters (esp. Wilf), the missile battle and the ending were brilliant. Especially emotional not just because of the departure of 'my' Doctor, but because Tennant's Doctor had been there throughout my early teen life, it was an end of an era for me too.

@ Hix: Good choices, Jo's another fave of mine! :D

This was the general community's top ten Who stories in the last DWM survey, 'The Mighty 200':

10. Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
    9. The Robots of Death
    8. City of Death
    7. Pyramids of Mars
    6. Human Nature/The Family of Blood
    5. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
    4. The Talons of Weng Chiang
    3. Genesis of the Daleks
    2. Blink
    1. The Caves of Androzani

12. Hix

The Caves of Androzani was #1? There's something wrong there! It was a good story, but nothing particularly special about it.

13. Zambar

It was no.1 on the previous poll too. I've only watched ep.1 on YouTube, but will have to watch the rest of the story before I can judge it.

14. Aglemar

Aglemar Active Member

I seem to be the only one here who liked the 9th doctor more then the 10th

15. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

chis was soo much better, im with u all da way!:D

16. HuxleyPig

Nahh, although Chris was my first Doctor, I will always consider David as my Doctor. He was awesome, and although Chris was good, David beats him in every aspect. For me, at least.

17. Aglemar

Aglemar Active Member

Considering there have been 10 Doctors then what makes a doctor the most doctorish does indeed tend to be a bit up to personal preference.

I really just enjoyed the style of the 9th doctor more, I loved how he sometimes would just flat out say "Yes" or "No" to a question and then go on as if that answers everything.

18. Zambar

I do wish Chris stayed on for longer, at least three series' which is usually the default. Having re-watched some of his episodes recentley, and comparing the response/build-up of Chris' departure to David's, you do wonder whether 9 would've recieved a more honourable had he been around for longer. :(

But then he was very paranoid of the typecasting, there was even a bar in his hometown where he ordered a cocktail named after him to be changed from 'the Doctor's Orders'.

19. Hix

From what I remember, I didn't like him much because he didn't fit the stereotype of the Doctor - i.e. a bit scatty (in the head) and a dress-sense that was slightly off (or flamboyant). Eccleston wore a black leather jacket, looked 'cool' (I can't think of another way to describe him) and could easily blend in with everyone, and looked at everything like he'd never seen anything before.

Of course, I wasn't thrilled with RTD's changes to Who-lore either (all the Time Lords are dead, Daleks can now fly, and some of the silliness like the Slitheen's farting etc.)

:p

Hix

20. Zambar

For a start, Daleks first flew on-screen in 1985's Revelation of the Daleks and continued to do so in 1988's Remembrance of the Daleks, and daleks were seen in places they could only have got to by flying in many earlier stories. Basically, they could always fly. :p

And who's to say the universe doesn't follow Star-Trek serious logic all the time, even early Who stories proved that, making it a fine-line between serious sci-fi films and the Hitchhiker's Guide. Farting is a natural process anyway. ;)