Join our zoo community

Doctor Who Discussion

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zambar, 7 Feb 2010.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

ah right. That one is from 2005. Is that the series playing in America, or did you watch it online or on a DVD or something like that?

It gets a lot better as the series (plural) progress.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I watched it on Netflicks but as far as I know of it is the one playing in America unless that series ended and a new one came out. I believe season 7 just ended in America.

~Thylo:cool:

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

That would be "Rose". From Season 1.

:p

Hix

4. ThylacineAlive

Yeah. I've also since seen The End of the World (episode 2, season 1) and The Unquite Dead (episode 3, season 1).

5. Hix

6. Chlidonias

wow, over 100 episodes!! That is brilliant.

7. Hix

Lets hope some of the 'lost' stories are there in their entirety.

Hix

8. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I finally just started watching Dr. Who a few days ago.

9. ThylacineAlive

The new one or the original? And how do you like it so far?

10. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I've watched the 1st five episodes from the reboot. It's quirky. Too early to tell my interest level.

11. ThylacineAlive

It gets better more around when David Tennant takes over, that's just my experience, though.

12. Hix

I didn't like Eccleston's Doctor. But I suppose the blame is more with Russel T Davies and the writers than the actor.

Tennant's doctor was better, IMO.

Hix

13. Chlidonias

No talk about Dr Who?!

The new series has just started in NZ (the first two episodes so far, only a week behind England) so time to open up the discussions again. I'll try not to put any spoilers in here for anyone who hasn't seen them yet.

I think I missed a bunch of episodes from the last series because of travelling, although I did get to see the last episode of the last series (where Clara steps into the whirly thing and gets dispersed across time to all the different Doctors' timelines, and there was John Hurt there as well), but I guess I missed an in-between stand-alone episode bridging that series and the new one (explaining how Clara is now back again).

After two episodes I'm not a fan of the new Doctor yet (Peter Capaldi). I like that they have an older actor again but he hasn't grown on me yet. Usually with the new actors you don't really like them straight off the bat but by the end of the first episode you're like “yep, he's a good Doctor”. This guy I think will be a good Doctor, I'm just not sold quite yet.

Anyway, starting off the new series was the feature-length episode “Deep Breath”. It was good, but sort of up and down. Trying too hard I think to “make” the new series but not really getting it right. I liked it, but it could have been much much better. And the T. rex – how big is that thing??! It was like Godzilla! I get that Dr Who is fantasy but they do try to make things believable in a Dr Who way, and making the T. rex the size of a blue whale was stretching things a tad.

I thought they made Clara a bit... I dunno, too unaccepting of the Doctor's new regeneration. Almost like they were using her as a stand-in to answer potential criticism from fans not wanting an older actor. On the plus side, she was wearing Victorian garb. She's a pretty lass but sort of ordinary when in modern clothes. In period costumes she looks amazing! In this one and in "The Snowmen" (aka the Dr Who Christmas Special 2012) where she first met Matt Smith she was in Victorian costume. I see from the trailer for the third episode she's wearing “Robin Hood era” garments and looks fantastic in that too. I think I was born in the wrong time period.

The second episode “Into the Dalek” was, I hate to say, kinda boring. The premise was good, the execution I think not done all that well. Maybe I just don't like the director, I don't know (that's Ben Wheatley, who directed both episodes). Maybe it's just because I feel like Capaldi's still in his settling-in period for the role. Sticking the “mystery woman” in both episodes seems really forced as well, like they “need” to get a guessing-game into the series.

14. ThylacineAlive

The Doctor carries Clara out of his mind at the end of the last episode of the last season, there only episodes after that are the 50th anniversary special and the special where the Doctor turns.

And yes, Clara is in more old timey clothes in the next episode.

I like Capaldi so far. I agree the first episode was a bit forced and odd and then the second wasn't as exciting as it could have been but I liked it and so far like what Capaldi is bringing to the table. I agree Clara is a bit too judgmental of the new face. That said, so is the Doctor himself really.

I quite liked the third episode though will not say anything since it hasn't aired everywhere yet.

15. cleusk

cleusk Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying Capaldi as an old, grumpy Doctor. It seems like they're moving closer to the Classic Who style.

16. ThylacineAlive

While I'm unfamiliar with the original Doctors, I am also enjoying Capaldi's style. My brother doesn't like him however.

17. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Hobby/obsession crossover alert!

It seems that the animal scenes in tonight's episode, 'In the Forest of the Night', meant 'an additional two days filming, involving the animals, which took place in Chipping Norton' (Source: BBC One - Doctor Who, Series 8, In the Forest of the Night - In the Forest of the Night: Fact File ).

Now, I wonder where that could be...(!)

(clue: Heythrop Zoo Gallery )

(the same page specifically confirms it's Heythrop, but I thought I'd stick to be being mysterious!)

18. Chlidonias

I just watched the first episode of the new season, so thought this thread could do with a kick-start. No spoilers from anyone, because obviously various people in various countries won't have seen it yet.

I liked it. I didn't really "get" Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor until somewhere near the end of the episode, and then it was suddenly like "oh yeah, now she's the Doctor". I'm not quite sure at which point she clicked into place for me, but first episodes for the new actors are always a bit "trying to find their feet in the role".

ThylacineAlive and Maguari like this.
  19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

It was very good. Jodie Whittaker was excellent. I liked all the Sheffield stuff as well, as that's all just up the road from me. Even the shot of the van just driving along was very clearly on the lower deck of the Tinsley Viaduct. Love it.

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Love Jodie Whittaker as the doctor.

I can see what you mean about it taking a while, but think its more getting used to them as the new Doctor, I think the only one I thought yes straight away was David Tennant but thats because I think Mr Tennant is an outstanding actor.

ThylacineAlive likes this.