Join our zoo community

Does a "Do Not Tap On Glass" sign even work??

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by chrisbarela, 2 Jul 2012.

1. chrisbarela

chrisbarela Well-Known Member

Does a "Do not tap/bang on glass" sign even work? In other words, do polite society know not to tap on glass while the "glass bangers" of the world will do so regardless of signs?

I personally hate the clutter of stupid-behavior-signs... do they help or are they ignored by the offenders? Thoughts...

2. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have seen them work in that they remind parents that they should stop their children from banging on the glass. Not always, but it does happen.

3. TropicWorld54

TropicWorld54 Well-Known Member

I do not think that even the barriers can keep children back from the glass. At the Brookfield Zoo every time I see the dolphins there are many kids swinging and sitting on the barriers or making marks on the glass. Also at the Columbus Zoo by the grizzly bear den a kid was hitting the glass and made the bear move a little so every one by the window got very excited so he did it again and again.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

If you didn't have the signs there would be so much more tapping/banging. Especially in Reptile houses where the occupants are frequently immobile.

:p

Hix

5. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed much in the way of glass tapping at Toronto, but have noticed it at the SPCA. Very annoying to have to keep reminding people. :mad:

6. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

And another instruction that is sometimes ignored ' please do not use flash photography in this building', people still do sadly.

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's too bad that the "do not tap on glass" signs can't be rigged to give a small electric shock like a shock collar for people who ignore the sign.

KatVet likes this.
  8. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The signs do stop a proportion of people banging but there are always stupid idiots who ignore them and need David's electric shock.

9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They don't work with people who can't read or with people who can't be bothered to read :rolleyes:

Alan

10. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

What about the "no flash photography" signs in nocturnal houses? How many times have we seen flashes that accidentally went off because visitors did not understand the camera's 'auto' settings?

I quite like the electric shock idea for tapping on the glass. Maybe a recording could also automatically play saying "a**hole alert, A**HOLE ALERT!".

11. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that they are illiterate, and zoos need talking signs. It would explain the stupid action of banging on the glass. Along the lines of shocking them...how about hotwire for pedestrians as well as the animals? The animals are smart enough not to cross...;)

Bonnie-Team Tapir

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I visit other zoos, the only way the signs help is if a visitor is tapping on the glass it gives me the right (as a regular visitor like them) to point it out to them and ask them to stop. At my zoo of course I am in a docent uniform so I already have the right (but we do not have a reptile house so it is not much of an issue for us).

As for flash photography, the reason is that 90% of the public shoot in green fully auto mode (aka dummy mode) which does not allow you to turn off the flash.