Join our zoo community

does anyone have experience with servals?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by thecheetah805, 18 Feb 2015.

1. thecheetah805

thecheetah805 Member

ok, so for my university assessment I have to write about moving an exotic animal from one zoo to another- legislation, health and safety (for animals and keepers) equipment needed, how the animal is going to be affected physically and psychologically and how to reduce harm e.c.t
    so, anyway ive chosen a serval to move from chester zoo to howletts(journey of about 4 hours 30 mins) and it would be really helpful if I could talk to someone who has experience moving servals, or even if someone knows of a really good website or academic paper I can read.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Servals are reportedly the easiest of the wild cat species to work with. I held a very large adult male at a private breeding center and I swear he was more tame than a lot of housecats I have seen. The Feline Conservation Federation (a US advocacy group for wild cat husbandry) recommends them for first time wild cat owners. They may be able to help you with your project and you should find contact information on their website here: Welcome to the world of feline captive husbandry and conservation

3. thecheetah805

thecheetah805 Member

ok, thank you, I have worked with servals before so I do know general stuff about them (which is why I picked them) but I will definitely check out that website

4. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

5. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

6. thecheetah805

thecheetah805 Member

thanks for that :)

7. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If you go on the WAZA website and find serval, it has a section on how it should be transported.