Join our zoo community

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo Does anyone know a good route to go when going to Omaha Zoo?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Jena, 1 Aug 2022.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hi guys! So I am going to Omaha Zoo on a Saturday and a Sunday during first week of August. The temperature suppose to be in the high 90s. I want to see everything and try to do most as I can the only exhibit I won't go into is that insect pavilion only because I am terrified of butterflies and that building I heard has free roaming butterflies. So anyone know a good route strategy I should take for Saturday, and then Sunday? I am trying to plan my route where I'll see the most amount of animals.
    Thanks!

2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I always go in order of Lied Jungle, Desert Dome, Kingdoms of the Night, Scott Aquarium, Insects (the butterfly room is separate from the main display room), African Grasslands, Madagascar, Asian Highlands, Aviary, Sea Lions, Apes. So almost a circle going counter clockwise - I do this because I believe it's best to start with the African Grasslands at the meerkats so you'll eventually end up in a downward slope. Starting from the left/with the bongos means walking a ways without seeing much and then heading uphill. After the apes, there's an elevator to take you right back up to the Desert Dome.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Insect Pavilion does require you to go through a free-flight butterfly room - but you can speed through it in a minute and avoid the butterflies altogether, as the non-butterfly exhibits are all in the area where the butterflies are not free-flying.

4. Moebelle

I and a few other people weren't required to go through the butterfly room. If I recall correctly, we just walked out through a hallway in front of the butterfly room's entrance that leads back to the exit.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2022
    MGolka and birdsandbats like this.
  5. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

I usually go the counter clockwise route ever since African Grasslands was completed as well.

One thing I would highly encourage while visiting on a weekend is either go to the Scott Aquarium very first thing in the morning or save it until near the end of the day. That building will be by far the most crowded at most points during the day and strollers will be your worst nightmare.

Going for two days you will have no problem seeing everything the zoo has to offer. You will be able to spend plenty of time at each of the exhibits.

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  6. birdsandbats

I highly recommend visiting over the course of two days so you can spend plenty of time at every exhibit. You will probably have trouble seeing everything in just one day, even if you're there from open to close.

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It's great that @Jena is going to spend two days at the zoo and I think that @birdsandbats has a great recommendation to do exactly that. When I was last at Omaha in 2018 (the long, detailed review is on the link below) I spent an entire day, from opening time to closing time, at the zoo. Since then, there has been the addition of Asian Highlands: Phase Two and the big sea lion complex. In my opinion, Omaha has joined San Diego and Bronx as being one of the three big North American zoos that now require two days to fully enjoy a visit.

On a side note, it made me smile to see that @Moebelle and I do the zoo in the exact same order. :)

My 2018 review:

Snowleopard's 2018 Road Trip

8. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I disagree on needing two days, surprisingly. I never do Bronx in one day, and Columbus was also a two day visit for me, but I did all of Omaha with an hour or two to spare. I did the dome first, to get ahead of the crowd, since the paths are narrower in there in some spots. I did the jungle and aquarium near the end, once crowds were dying down again.

MGolka likes this.
  9. birdsandbats

That's super interesting! I'd was going to say Columbus is an easy one-day-er, but I looked and they've actually shortened their hours since I was last there, and considering they've also added an entire exhibit complex I suppose that may be true now. I still don't know how you had "hours to spare" at Omaha though. I definitely needed both days.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

I have taken a good number of family and friends to the zoo and completed everything within 5-6 hour window. Part of it is just how many times I’ve visited the zoo so less back tracking, but also we don’t linger for long periods of time at each exhibit. For example, I’m sure I’ve saved many people a lot of time looking for animals in the Desert Dome and Lied Jungle terrariums over the years by pointing out where the animals like to be rather than aimlessly looking for long periods of time.

Edit: forgot to mention that be aware Lied Jungle closes at 4, well before the zoo closes.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. TinoPup

Excessive planning, maybe? I already spend too much time preparing, and this was a trip by plane solely to go to the zoo and the safari. I took my time walking around, the only place I rushed a bit was the aquarium.

IndianRhino likes this.
  12. Moebelle

@snowleopard Great zoo minds think alike! Going in order is always the way to go.

@TinoPup I agree. When filming, I take about three to four times longer strolling through a section than I would if I were just casually observing the animals. I've been to Henry Doorly four times, and managed to cover every section at least six times with hours to spare with each visit. Columbus on the other hand, sometimes I won't even make it over to the other half of the zoo. Still there are several factors to consider, for example, I don't have children or really anyone else's needs to attend to.

TinoPup and snowleopard like this.
  13. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I disagree with that statement of not needing two days. I always needed two days for Omaha Zoo. The reason for this is because I tend to take my time at every exhibit, I also tend to look carefully for any of the free roaming birds in the desert dome and lied jungle. I also try to ride the rides there and try to catch any shows they offer. I also do animal photography so that alone takes alot of time to make sure to capture the perfect shot of the animal. And I will in fact take a photo of every single animal that I see not just the big ones. I have gone through two batteries at omaha zoo that is how much photos I have taken. (in fact my profile pic is a lion I photographed at Omaha Zoo in 2019. I am also going with my mom, my aunt and my 10 year old cousin. So I have to also accomudate that they will most likely need to go to the bathroom, have lunch and obviously go to the gift shop as well. This is my third trip to Omaha Zoo. And in both other trips I took, I had to do two days.

14. TinoPup

If this is your third visit, why are you asking us for advice? As I said above, and which I've documented extensively on this website over the years, I also take a lot of time to see everything, try to photograph every species, and look for all of the birds. I also take photos of every sign and exhibit. Again, I spent money on a plane and hotel for that weekend solely to go to the zoo. I wasn't about to rush through. Ultimately you know your timeline best, but I don't understand why you want our input, in that case.

15. TinoPup

I was at Columbus almost the entire second day, as well, as I didn't want to rush things (myself after my 9 hour drive home wished I'd rushed things a bit, though :D) I only repeated the entrance area to Africa, the manatee building, and the ambassador building. I travel alone most of the time, but my health can be a factor. It wasn't much of one for these two, since the visits were in Oct/Nov (I have issues with heat, among other things) and both zoos, Columbus especially, have lots of places to get drinks and a bite to eat.

16. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

because the last time I been there they didn't have the new sea lion exhibit and the orangutan indoor area wasn't under construction. Those two things have changed how I go to the zoo. Plus the very first time I went, they didn't have African Grasslands, that children adventure trail, asian highland, hasn't been done yet. It was like 2011-2013ish that I went the first time. Then the second time I went, I was with a little toddler, and a little girl with their mom (my cousin), and when they decided to seperate without telling me, I had a full blown meltdown because that changed the entire plan that day (I am on the autism spectrum), and on top of that, it was 2019 the last time I went. Plus last time I didn't get to do any of the shows/feedings they have throughout the zoo, and last time I didn't get to do the stingray touch tank thing which I wanted to do. So more things are now added to the list. Hence why the old route isn't gonna work for the new route.