Join our zoo community

Paradise Wildlife Park Does anyone remember this as Broxbourne Zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 20 Oct 2014.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A bit of nostalgia really !! I remember in the late 1970's early 1980's going to PWP when it was Broxbourne Zoo all before the Sampson family. i remember the cages were pretty awful but they had quite a collection of animals.
    I can remember they had
    Chimpanzee (one escaped in the 1980's)
    Bactrian Camel
    African Lion (bobby from the post office commercials)
    Tigers
    Hamadrayas Baboon
    Patas Monkey
    Diana Monkey
    Pig Tailed Macaque (male called Jimmy)
    Moor Macaque (called Dracula)
    Zebra
    Wolves
    I'm sure there were a lot more but any information photos what happened to these animals would be great - many thanks

2. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

sorry to drag up an old thread but over the years I have found a few bits and pieces on the old Broxbourne zoo and then last week stumbled upon this gem.... a councillor telling the tale of a child having her fingers bitten off at the zoo by a chimp.

'It was in June 1977 that a 5-year-old girl, Fiona, the daughter of my constituents, Mr. and Mrs. Napthine, had two fingers of her left hand severed by a chimpanzee when she was trying to feed it crisps. Hon. Members may wonder what on earth is happening in a zoo when a 5-year-old girl can be in a position to attempt to feed crisps to a chimpanzee. Apparently the attention of her parents had been distracted, and she was able to climb over a very small brick wall and put her hand into the cage, or allow the chimpanzee's hand to be put through the cage. As a result, a dreadful accident occurred.'

3. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I certainly remember the chimp cage as it was so wouldn't be surprised I also remember in the early 80's they escaped and one had to be shot .
    Did they not have Bobby the lion of the post office ads

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Never been there but found a little notice in the book "Wildlife in Britain " a guide to natural habitats, safari parks and zoos, published by the automobile association.
    The following species are mentioned :
    Lions *
    Leopards *
    Tigers
    Pumas
    Himalayan bears
    European bison
    Red deer
    Sika
    Chinese water deer
    Chimpanzees
    Sacred baboons
    Olive baboons
    Pig-tailed macaques *
    Porcupines
    Coypus
    Raccoons
    Coatis
    Kinkajous
    Badgars
    Dingos
    Collaredpeccaries
    Penguins
    Flamingos
    Vultures
    Eagles
    Tawny owls *
    Ducks Geese
    Desmoiselle cranes
    Sarus cranes
    Emus * ( 2 chicks hatched 1974 )
    Pets corner with rabbits, Guinea pigs, African pygmy goats, Llamas, St. Kilda sheep, Soay sheep and Jacob's sheep.
    * = bred at the collection

5. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

They certainly did have bobby the lion and from what I am told he was in a circular enclosure with a shipping/lorry container as an indoors!
    If you look at the currently raccoon and coati enclosures, believe it or not they used to house lions! With two small concrete dens at the back.