Join our zoo community

Kolmården Zoo Dolphin Show

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Kwambeze, 1 Aug 2010.

1. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

Video from the dolphin show at Kolmården Wildlife Park

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I see the dolphin circus in Kolmården is still going strong. What a tragedy that an otherwise fine zoo like Kolmården hosts such ridiculous shows with no educational value what-so-ever.

3. Kwambeze

I can not agree with you. In about 10 minutes the research director Mats Amundin talks about dolphin's language, threats and the research on Kolmården. During the show, they give us facts, such as the nose is the head and how it is used and so on.

I just took the jumping parts becuse the majority of the ZooChaters don´t understand Swedish.

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

That may be but it is acompanied by flashing lights, music and the staff encourages people to clap along. That in my book is a circus and it nearly made me vommit when I visited Kolmården.

5. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

I'm on Toddy's side here. Saw it some years ago, never want to see it again. Too much clapping, lightning shows and high bass music. No, this is circus, in my opinion. Though the show's in Nürnberg and Duisburg are much much better. What do you think of these shows Toddy?

6. Kwambeze

Research have showed that the dolphins are not disturbed by music or lightning. Do you really think Kolmården would do anything that would in any way harm their animals? I see it more as enrichment for the animals to jump and play. On Kolmården the dolphins have a good time, I refer not only to research but to what I see.

In addition, the dolphins at Kolmården have learned us very much about the whales. Researches at Kolmården have found out about their advanced language, which saves the porpoises in the Baltic Sea.

I hope to see the dolphin show at Kolmarden in the future and sees no problem with it. In fact, Kolmården is one of the few dolphinariums I would prefer to see dolphins in.

7. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

@Swedish Zoo Fan: The show in Duisburg is too much like the one in Kolmården and basically a circus. The one in Nürnberg, however, is highly educational and one that I can very much recommend.

@Kwambeze: At what point have I stated that Kolmården harms their animals? I am not saying that Kolmården aren't taking care of their animals. But the circus show they put on with their dolphins degrades their dolphins to nothing more than a circus act leaving visitors with no sense of understanding of marine mammals or the natural world. Instead the presenter fills the visitors' ears with anthropomorphisizing (did I spell that correct?) crap that leaves them thinking that dolphins in the wild enjoys American country music and flashing lights.

Also, Kolmårdens latest developments (Marine World, Roller Coasters, etc.) seems to suggest that the zoo is taking less serious direction than it used to. Such a shame...

8. Kwambeze

When did you see the show? Today is the full facts, information and details. If you have not been there the last few years, you can not argue about how this year's edition is? Once again, in this video I have only taking the jumping parts.

I think it's good either way Kolmården choose. The old zoo direction or the family-friendly, Disney variant. Kolmården pay for research and conservation programs , thats the most important part 2010 (and big areas for the animal, and they have in Kolmården).

9. Kwambeze

There is also a video on a screen behind that shows wild dolphins in the beginning. Everybody can see that there is no "flashing" lights and "contry" (?) music.

Why do you don´t call the birds of pray show "CIRCUS"? Music and much people , but no lights.

10. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I last saw the show in 2006 and have just watched several videos of the show on YouTube all filmed in 2010 and judging from these the show is pretty much the same as four years ago (anthropomorphisizing crap). It has nothing to do with serious education of zoo-visitors and the beauty of the natural world.

Do you honestly think that the Disney-approach is the best way for a zoo in the 21st century? A time when "conservation and education" should be the most important words in a zoo and not "show and entertainment".

I haven't seen the birds of prey show at Kolmården and therefore I cannot comment on it. But if it is like the dolphin show with music and stuff I am glad I haven't!

And sorry, but I will have to disagree with you that "big areas" for animals is the most important part of a zoo in 2010 (although Kolmården does have some very nice open enclosures).

11. LBerggren

LBerggren Member

As for the objectives of Zoo's in 2010 they are all first and foremost businesses and they all need to at least turn over enough money to cover their costs. However, like any business profits are desirable... and increasing profits have and always will be something any business (including zoos) will strive for. The great thing about Zoos is that large proportions of their profits are spent on wildlife research and conservation. And zoos are of course, always in a perfect position of educating the general public.

However, to push for profits year after year, any business has to reinvent itself through new products, re-branded products etc. If the Kolmarden dolphin show remained the same year after year, people wouldn't necessarily stop visiting, but Kolmarden certainly wouldn't experience an increase or even steady numbers flowing through their gates. This would affect their profits.

Light, music, clapping and an overall high energy presentation inspires people and make them wanna come back for more. A recipe for success. Inspiration also creates a great foundation for learning.

As for dolphin welfare. I believe Kolmarden has an experienced (ie many older animals, all of which have been in captivity for all most if not all of their lives) group of animals and mixing the routines up for them, challenging them with complex behaviours and keeping the energy high promotes their welfare if anything.

So, if a show like this and 'Disney-style' rides can keep people coming through the gates and the dolphins are 'happy' and healthy, then how could it ever be bad? Add to that the fact there IS educational messages in the show, Kolmarden is one of the world's most successful dolphin research facility and guests can wander over to the lagoon where even more about the dolphins can be found out. I think comparing it to 'Circus' is insulting. Kolmarden know what they're doing and are in fact keeping ahead of the game, not going back in time.