Join our zoo community

Dolphins coming to Arizona

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 28 Jul 2016.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This project is curious. I'm sure that they have done market research, but based on the Sea World orca fiasco and the continuing contraction of dolphins from zoos and aquariums it seems like dolphin exhibits are declining in popularity, not expanding.

Also, where are they getting their dolphins from? One of the Minnesota Zoo's reasons for closing down their dolphin program was lack of available dolphins to sustain a proper social pod. If an AZA institution cannot get ahold of dolphins then how does a private facility like this get them?

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@DavidBrown: the website says they're captive born, so I'd assume from SeaWorld, which seems to own the most captive bottlenose dolphins. Permit processes would make it hard to get them from outside the US.

4. Arizona Docent

The bottom of their website says the company is based in Mexico. So maybe the dolphins are imported from there?

5. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dolphinaris is one of the successfull swim with the dolphins group that operates in Mexico with 7 venues. These are very commercial places and the quality of the "exhibits" is very low. Dolphins do breed very well in capitivity in Mexico, which is part of their native range. Xcaret park alone has over 60 dolphins, most born there. If Dolphinaris where to import dolphins from Mexico to the U.S. they would need a special permit get by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Could they do it when US zoos have failed to get polar bears from Canada because of the Marine Mammal Protection Act ? Time will tell.
    In the mean time those of you can read spanish can find this information interesting
    http://www.unioncancun.mx/articulo/...-roo-el-estado-con-mas-delfines-en-cautiverio

6. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Besides Minnesota and Oklahoma City what zoos have had dolphins in the past but phased them out?

7. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Minnesota said that was a reason, but they only were looking at the consortium at the time. I think they could have partnered with SeaWorld or another US aquarium if they really wanted to keep the dolphin exhibit open.
    Aside from Semo's incredible longevity there, they had a bad run in the late 90s until they closed the exhibit.
    I for one hope that exhibits like Brookfield and Indy stay open. Brookfield needs an updated exhibit, but I still believe there is value in exhibiting cetaceans where people can not see them naturally, such as the middle of the country.

8. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a quote about dolphin exhibit closures in the story that Giant Panda posted. Where were there "temporary summer shows" and "roadside facilities" for dolphins?! Those concepts seem rather incongruous. Are there carnivals that cart dolphins around from fair to fair?

11. Arizona Docent

I had no idea (until now) the general manager of Dolphinarius is Dr Grey Stafford, formerly of nearby Wildlife World Zoo. Though he was not the owner of Wildlife World he was the public face and did frequent appearances on morning news shows.