Join our zoo community

DomeMania - My Dream Zoo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Coch007, 23 Oct 2015.

1. Coch007

Coch007 New Member

Hello Everyone!

I am so happy to have a forum of people to share this with! My dream zoo, I wont lie...It's huge!! I plan to open up a zoo that will revolutionize the way people view zoos and will take a new step for sastainability in our unpredictable climates. A little but of background about me is that I am a Canadian student, currently in a Veterinary Technician program. Of course I love animals, but I also love my community and all it has to offer...except the cold.

My Master plan:
    A self-sustaining, eco-energy (solar, geothermal, biogas) Bio-dome.

The dome will cover 2km squared (almost 500acres)
    With climate areas that are similar to those of the animals natural habitat.
    Areas will include:

Africa (of course)
    Asia
    Americas
    The Arctics
    Under the Sea

Markets Circle (Where coresponding cutural vendors will offer you food, drinks, and anything else your heart may desire!)

Central park (in the middle where the weather is 20 degrees celcius and sunny year round! O, and open for people to walk there pets for a reduced fee because they wont enter the entire park) - eventually I would like to turn the solar roof on this section into a retractable one so I can let the sunshine in on naturally beautiful days. :)

The facilities will include an onsite conservation lab
    Camp group
    Tree fort hotel
    and Amusement park

I assume this whole venture will cost me around about $300millionUS (start up).
    Most of the annual income will come from grants, fundraising events, and of course our amazing investors.

I would love to hear feedback on what you all think, Would you come visit? What do you think of the name DomeMania? And concerns? Suggestions? I'd love to hear it all!

2. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

I like the enthusiasm. $300m US for what you're describing seems off. Sporting arenas that are a blip of the size you mention cost over $1billion with or without a retractable roof. There's more to it than the dome from land purchase, design, permits and so on. I would focus on something smaller or mess up some commas with zeros.

3. Coch007

Coch007 New Member

My numbers are very optimistic I will admit, I am still waiting on some information that will change things around I'm sure.
    Im still working on research but most places keep their business plans and prospects behind tightly closed doors. If anyone knows of good sources for this I would love to see them!

The Montreal Biodome, however, received almost $200million in grants a few years back. The Federal and Provincial governments both have their own incentives for turning businesses green from helping with cost to working on more economical payment plans.
    I am also involved with a company that is willing to guarantee the solar energy initiative will pay for its self after one year of instalment.

If there is any feed back anyone can provide on pros and cons or market projections in Canadian zoos I would love to hear what you have to say and see your resources!!

My goal is to breath a new air of life into Canadian Zoos by raising care standards, including new developing technologies, educating the public, and the preserving wild habitat.

4. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

It's certainly ambitious! But I quite like ambitious fantasy zoos. After all, nothing would be improved if no one ever tried to do something new. It kind of makes me think of Moody Gardens, where the aquarium and rainforest exhibits are inside of pyramids.

You mention an amusement park, so if you really are serious about doing this someday, it might be wise to treat it as a business venture rather than (just) a nonprofit. (assuming you were planning it to be nonprofit in the first place)

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member

Would this be in Canada?