Join our zoo community

Zoo Dortmund Dortmund zoo news

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 16 Dec 2009.

1. Saro

Saro Well-Known Member

New/renovated cat enclosures include serval, european lynx, amur cat, jaguarundi and clouded leopard. It is interesting you like Duisburgs giant otter enclosure better - thats up to personal preference of course - but Dortmund is by far better and also way bigger. Duisburg's might be nice and green in places but it is really very small, especially inside...

2. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've just returned from dortmund zoo. Overall I think it is a nice (not great) zoo. It was realy pouring down the last time i visited. What is great is the following :

New clouded leopard exhibit
    Rennovated Jagarundi exhibit
    Large lynx exhibit (maybe too large from a visitors stand point)
    Tamuda house/ Giant otters/douth american mixed exhibits

What is not so great :
    Large cat exhibits (lion/tigers). Certainly if you keep in mind the large lynx exhibit
    Gaur exhibit , why wooden beams AND fences
    Jaguar exhibit (from visitors standpoint)
    Overall the zoo isn't verry photogenic lots of fences and bars. Although it must be said that almost every animal has enough room, places to hide etc

3. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know Timour the Amur leopard's date of birth?

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Nisha

0.1 Red Panda arrived from Krefeld

6. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A male Malayan tiger arrived to accompany two females. The last female Sumatran tiger died in december. Sumatran Orang-utan "Djamuna" (born 28.05.2000 at Munich to "Bruno" and "Djudi") gave birth to her second baby, a female. Her first offspring, "Fajar", was mortally wounded by group members and died.

7. Nisha

The following updates posted onto Dortmund's Facebook this evening (translation by Google)

When the great Anteaters there young since December again to marvel at. Another juvenile is expected in the spring. The third pregnant females has Christmas Eve suffered a miscarriage, and thereby lost his twins.

• When the Jaguarundis left the Zoo soon mother and daughters, because a new imported breeding pair is already held • in Dortmund behind-the-scenes new animals arrived at the Oncillas. The loss of breeding man Lars it to complain, which surprisingly has died.

• At the Amur Leopard cat Timur has left the Zoo, because he has not tolerated with his partner. For him, so that can be grown in the new Leopard system, replacement will be coming soon.

8. BjoernN

Another male oncilla, imported from South America last year, died.

9. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps this post could be translated properly so that we can all understand what it means - I think I get most of it, but 'the breeding man Lars is to complain, which surprisingly has died' - does that mean a lar gibbon has died and he wants to compain to the zoo :p

What I got from the post:

1) An anteater has been born, one is due in the Spring and a third female had a miscarriage and lost twins.

2) A mother and daughter pair of Jaguarundi have left the collection to make room for a new breeding pair.

3) There is a new Oncilla behind the scenes.

4) A lar gibbon has died? Not sure where the complaint lies.

5) Amur leopard cat [or is that just leopard, these translators can sometimes add words to make thinks such as 'lion cat, tiger cat, leopard cat?] male has left as he attacks the female. The zoo are getting a new male?

Am I on the right lines with these?

10. BjoernN

4.) Not a lar gibbon died. The Oncilla breeding male, that died, was named "Lars".

11. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ahh ok, thanks for clearing that up - it's actually obvious now I know, but when things go through a translator and words get jumbled it can throw you off :)

12. Nisha

1.0 Giant Anteater born 17th December

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sad news from Dortmund : last weekend Rubio the worlds only known albino South American Fur Seal died.
    Rubio was born May 2012 and after 2 months lost it's mother. He was hand-raised succesfully but was found dead last weekend. In his stomage remainings of 2 European toads were found :(

14. Nisha

15. Nisha

Confirmation today that Dortmund are due to go out of Angolan Giraffes this year due to recent fatalities and the restricted gene pool in Europe.

The remaining individuals will be moved elsewhere and replaced at Dortmund by another sub-species which has yet to be decided/revealed
    Zoo Dortmund löst Giraffen-Herde auf und trauert um Löwen | WAZ.de

16. Nisha

0.1 Angolan Giraffe was shipped to Plaisance du Touch in France this week. She joins two other Angolan cows who Dortmund sent there during 2013.

17. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anybody now why Dortmund was not able to get fresh blood/new individuals from the wild or from game farms in South West Africa? (Only) because of EU import restrictions?

So sad, after the end of keeping Masai Giraffes in Europe, another subspecies will dy out in European zoos.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hate to dampen your sensibilities but the budget and economic outlook for the Ruhrgebiet and Zoo Dortmund does not allow it to indulge in very costly affairs like acquiring giraffes from the wild thru import.

The zoo has had to make do also with little support from local government and despite this has managed to create some nice new exhibits on a meagre budget.

The reality of Angolan and to a lesser extent Masai giraffe is and always has been the relative big transport issue between individual zoos exhibiting the species.

Secondly, the Zoo de Lisboa has not been very forthcoming when it comes to cooperative management of the Angolans and has consequently - and IMO quite rightly so - Zoo Dortmund has decided to discontinue keeping them and changing over to another giraffe species instead. I am still holding out for Kordofan giraffe to make the zoo that much more special ….

19. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Kifaru Bwana: Yes, the beloved money....

Anyway, I also hope that Dortmund will be more succesfull/lucky with another subspecies.

20. Nisha

White Rhino bull, Snoopy was transferred from Dortmund to Safari Stukenbrock today