Join our zoo community

Zoo Dortmund Dortmund zoo news

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 16 Dec 2009.

1. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Recently, the first fennec fox (Vulpes zerda) arrived for the new exhibit built in the back of the giraffe house. It is a female and came from Bioparco Roma/Italy. A male should follow eventually. She is behind the scenes for quarantine at the moment, however it is unclear when the giraffe house will be open for the public again either way.
    Source: Facebook

2. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Two days ago, another capybara was born (seriously, I can't keep track how many were born in the past years :D)

Moreover, some animal houses are open again: The farm, otter house, giraffe house, tamandua house and the rhino house are open again. Technically this means the fennec can be seen when she moves into her exhibit.
    Sources: Both facebook

When I visited last month however, several birds were off-show due to bird flu, no info if that has changed.

3. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can anyone tell me where the two species of palm civet are kept? My plan is to visit the zoo next week.

It seems opossums are no longer kept (according to ZTL), although the Amazonas-haus is still closed anyway due to covid restrictions.

4. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

The Himalayan palm civets are in their new enclosure in the back of the park, shortly before the place where the seals used to be.
    Here: Zooplan - Zoobesuch - Zoo Dortmund - Freizeit, Kultur, Tourismus - Stadtportal dortmund.de you can find a map of the zoo. It's close to where the badger is on the map.

The Philippine Palm civets are in the old orang-utan enclosure, basically the enclosure drawn in directly north of the porcupine on the map.
    However, you probably need a bit of luck to see them (goes for both).

It's definitely not the best time to visit Dortmund at the moment, with all the ongoing construction and fenced-off areas, but I nonethelss hope you have a great day!
    Another tip, if it's possible for you you can book a ticket online (not required), which lets you bypass the line at the entrance, since it can get quite crowded there.

Haliaeetus, Kifaru Bwana, AWP and 2 others like this.
  5. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@JoJo22 Thank you for the information!

Well, I first intended to go to Münster or Köln, but I want to wait for the new South America building is open in Münster and Köln turned out to be a bit too far for a one-day trip. I know about the construction works, but that isn't really a bother to me.

JoJo22 likes this.
  6. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Understandable. I don't know how far the building is in Münster, so I'm not sure it will actually open soon, but they say this autumn...
    I was actually bothered by all the non-seeable animals and closures on my last visits, even so much that I didn't buy a new season ticket... but maybe that's partly because many of my favorite species were affected. :rolleyes: At least you can visit some of the houses again now.

7. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

On the 9th of March 2 Asian small-clawed otters (Aonyx cinerea) were born.

Source:
    Instagram of Dortmund Zoo (19/03/2022) Login • Instagram

JoJo22 and Haliaeetus like this.
  8. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Today, a new species went on-show: four juvenile Kleinmann's tortoises (Testudo kleinmanni), for which there is an EEP, came from Zoo Heidelberg where they hatched last year. They now live in the rhino house.

9. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Some news.
    - The female fennec fox is now on show in the new enclosure in the back of the giraffe house
    - The keepers are currently hand-raising a king vulture (Sarcoramphus papa) hatched in February. Since the parents have a history of destroying their eggs, they decided to take it and put in an incubator. The young is doing good so far and being fed with a puppet.

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On April 3 a Red-legged seriema has hatched at Dortmund.

Kifaru Bwana, JurassicMax and JoJo22 like this.
  11. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Between March 26th and April 6th, five Humboldt penguins have hatched.

JurassicMax and Haliaeetus like this.
  12. JurassicMax

The sex of the king vulture has been determined, it's a male and he was given the name Viktor.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (25/04/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccx_u3AK7bC/

JoJo22 likes this.
  13. JurassicMax

JoJo22 and Haliaeetus like this.
  14. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

About two nights ago, a southern pudu (Pudu pudu) was born.

JurassicMax, Antoine and Haliaeetus like this.
  15. JurassicMax

Recently 5 Common Barn Owls (Tyto alba) hatched. They, like all other barn owls that have been born at the zoo, will eventually be released into the wild.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (04/05/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CdJFHNBKvnU/

Haliaeetus likes this.
  16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the night to May 4 a Guyanan kinkajou was born :).

AWP, JurassicMax, JoJo22 and 3 others like this.
  17. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Recently, a new female Eurasian Badger (Meles meles) arrived from Wildpark Schwarze Berge. This means the zoo now has a pair again, after the old female died last year.

JurassicMax likes this.
  18. JurassicMax

Sadly 27-year old female Giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla) Sandra was euthanised, she suffered from age-related illnesses. Sandra was the oldest giant anteater in the world, she would have celebrated her 28th birthday next week.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (03/06/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CeVU7m3qoMS/

19. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Sad news, though she was really old. I think I still saw her about a month ago. She was very friendly, since if I remember correctly she was raised by zookeepers.

20. JurassicMax

More sad news, the oldest rhino in Europa and the fifth oldest in the world, the 53-year old female Southern white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum simum) Natalahas passed away.

Source;
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (09/06/2022) Login • Instagram