Join our zoo community

Douc langur in SE Asian zoos

Discussion in 'Asia - General' started by Kifaru Bwana, 16 Aug 2007.

Tags:
  1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dusit Zoo, Bangkok, Thailand held 16 (7.9) red shanked doucs Pygathrix nemaeus individuals in December 2005. Their latest offspring was a male born on 21/11/2005. The group originates from a pair brought in in 1995. Apparently, Pata Zoo, Thailand also maintains and breeds the species.

Other zoos in the region to keep them are Vientiane Zoo, Laos and the Cuc Phuong Primate Rescue Park.

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Great animals, I saw a pair at Howetts in 1987, stunning markings.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw a similar number of Douc Langurs at the Dusit Zoo, but that was in 1990/1.
    Does that mean all the Langurs I saw had died by 1995, when a new pair were brought in?

4. Kifaru Bwana

I don't know what the status of the doucs was in 1990/1991. However, all reports point to reproduction starting in earnest in 1995. I will have to write to them on the matter.

5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While ur at it, try and find out where San Diego Zoo got their 20-odd new animals from. All i can think off is the EPBC...

6. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

whilst the red-shhaned is a somewhat more attractive animal than the gery-shanked douc, you guys should see the super-rare and virtually unheard of black-shanked douc-langurs. blue faces!!!

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Pat is there any idea on the numbers for the Black-shanked douc's?

8. patrick

EPRC has one (thats where i saw it) and its accidental hybridised offspring (with a grey shanked). as far as i know thats it..

9. sebbe67

sebbe67 Well-Known Member

I believe the only group of pure Black-shanked douc langur is kept in Xiangjiang Safari Park, Guangzhou, south-east China.

10. patrick

ohhhh id'e like to see pictures of that. whilst there seems to be argument over the validity of the grey-shanked as its own species (it certainly looks radically different to the red-shanked when you see compare them in the flesh), the black-shanked doucs are without doubt their own species.

very beautiful, and very unusual looking.

11. patrick

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Nice pictures Pat, the blue faces are unreal

13. sebbe67

sebbe67 Well-Known Member

14. patrick

ooooooh....... nice ones!

15. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

wow.

i *heart* snub-nosed monkeys...

16. patrick

agreed. its hard to find good pics of this family. these are great.

17. ericnielsenpdx

ericnielsenpdx Well-Known Member

Does San Diego really have all those Doucs?

Hi

Can anyone actually confirm that those Douc langurs are in fact AT the San Diego Zoo? When I was in Philadelphia in November I met with one of their Curators and he said that their Doucs were on loan from San Diego and that San Diego was going to be asking for them back, with the intent of sending them, I think to Singapore for breeding/health. He knew nothing of the large number shown on ISIS,and was very skeptical of the accuracy of ISIS in that regard. I wouldn't put anything past San Diego, and I hope it's true, but I've know ISIS to be wrong as well- I remember a brown hyena it showed in Winnipeg that had died several years earlier.

Eric

18. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It has been said quite a few times on this forum that San Diego currently holds 0.2 (elderly females) behind the scenes and they have mother and son on loan to Philadelphia Zoo. ISIS is wrong.

It was also mentioned that these animals would be sent to another institution that holds these animals but which one wasn't mentioned. I hoped for Cologne a little, but Singapore allready made 1000% more sense and i guess that's confirmed now...

19. ericnielsenpdx

ericnielsenpdx Well-Known Member

Sorry Jwer - I am new to this site, so I hadn't seen those postings you are referring to. Thanks for the welcome. What makes you say it's "confirmed now " that the existing animals in the US are going to Singapore? It was heresay from Philadelphia Zoo, has someone actually heard from San Diego that this is fact?

20. Kifaru Bwana

ericnielsenpdx,

Whether you are new or not is a little irrelevant. I am sure we all appreciate that the more forum readers, posters from different parts of the globe and perspectives the better the forum becomes. So, welcome again ... and we are only human after all (so, it is okay to make a miss ... :)).

Regarding the douc langur transfer ex the US, I also would appreciate if jwer could elaborate more on this confirmed transfer to Singapore. :confused:

I sincerely hope that if Singapore will become the recipient of the doucs from the US, that it will engage itself towards setting up a regional breeding programme for douc langurs with Dusit Zoo, the EPRC and other collections in IndoChina that maintain the species. The Koelner Zoo could serve as an outpost of this programme and already supports an in situ release project in Vietnam and has the contacts with EPRC to do more (as do Leipzig and Muenster Zoos).