Join our zoo community

Down in Dorset

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Martin B, 12 Jun 2009.

1. Martin B

Martin B Well-Known Member

Hi I am visiting Dorset next week, and we are calling in at Bristol Zoo on the way down and Monkey World whilst we are down there.

Which other zoos are around Dorset which are worth a look?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

2. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Depending on your route Cotswold Wildlife Park might be en route home?

3. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Marwell Wildlife and the New Forest Otter, Owl and Wildlife Park are in Hampshire but not very far from Dorset; about half an hour for Marwell and twenty minutes for the Otter & Owl Park. Bournemouth Oceanarium and Weymouth Sea Life Park are Dorset's aquariums, and worth a visit in my opinion.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cricket St Thomas is not in Dorset, but very close, just over the border in Somerset, on the A30 between Chard and Crewkerne. It is a traditional wildlife park and has possibly the most picturesque setting of any in the UK. See their website for Animal Species kept (nothing too exciting) Worth a couple of hours' visiting time.

5. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

I would suggest Exmoor Zoo for an afternoon.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Exmoor is miles away from Dorset- at least an hour's drive, probably a lot more depending on whereabouts you are.:)

To get from Dorset to the New forest Owl centre in 'twenty' minutes' you'd need to be driving at 100mph. From Monkey World to the New Forest Owl Centre is about 3/4 of an hour + more in traffic- Marwell at least another half an hour further on from there.

7. NMM

NMM Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good point, Dorset is quite a big county. It all depends on where the OP is staying and how far they are prepared to travel.

Cricket St Thomas, Longleat, New Forest Owl Centre and Marwell are within reasonable reach of parts of Dorset but none are within easy reach of the whole county.

Or for something a bit different there is a bison farm at West Knoyle in Wiltshire that is quite close to the Dorset border. Again it depends on whereabouts the OP is staying.

8. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Not technically a zoo, but the Donkey Sanctuary in Sidmouth (just over the border in Devon) was a lovely place (if you like donkeys anyway!) :)

Zoo wise, Dorset itself is a bit lacking, with Monkey World being the county's only "zoo". However, as everyone's already pointed out, there are lots of places just over the borders :D

9. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

Haha. Oops. Sorry. I read Dorset as Devon. I'll read more carefully in future.

10. Martin B

Martin B Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your help. Had a very zoo filled weekend, visiting Bristol, Monkey World and Cricket St.Thomas in the end, and I had a fantastic time. I have loads of pictures and will try to upload them in the next few days. Again, thanks for your help it is appreciated! :)