Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park drag racing track to be built next to the zoo!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Chlidonias, 29 May 2012.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

just unbelievable!
    Race strip a real drag for zoo | adelaidenow

2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Sounds a bit like the 'Turn Werribee into a fun park' from several years ago. Really I wonder at some decision makers.

3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Morris park speedway is only a few kilometres from western plains zoo with fairly regular races. they have fireworks most nights also. how far would this be from the main collection?

4. Chlidonias

Bridge revs up for drag strip | adelaidenow
    on Google maps, that is about one or two kilometres from the zoo's southeast boundary

5. Chlidonias

Brakes applied to drag strip near zoo - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

6. Chlidonias

New bid to win drag strip approval near zoo - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

This area is already operating as a motor sport precinct, with a world-class Moto X (motor cross) track and next door, Sprint Kart track, then next to that, a model aircraft club with a 150m paved runway where they fly jet powered model planes.

Assuming the noise can be effectively kept under control, I think the further development of this area could potentially be a great benefit to Monarto Zoo.

Anyone driving to any of these facilities from Adelaide - including the proposed drag strip - will travel right past the entrance to Monarto Zoo. Given the growing international reputation of these facilities, which host some pretty big events - the visibility of the zoo should be enhanced by the increased traffic to the area.

Given the location - the prevailing winds are almost always from the south and occasionally from the north - thus most of the track noise will not be driven towards the zoo, which is west / north-west of the motor sports precinct. It is extremely rare that you would see an easterly wind (blowing west), towards the zoo.

I know this, because my parents place is just down the road (Murray Bridge end of Maurice Rd where the proposed drag strip will be built), and I lived in Murray Bridge for 8 years.

I hope a mutually acceptable arrangement can be found to allow the drag strip to go ahead without affecting the zoo animals - I do think that further development and subsequent promotion of this area will only help the zoo.

8. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

I am inclined to agree with you Sim. If animals in city zoos can adapt to noises like trams, fireworks, ferrys, trains and traffic, I cant really see why they wouldnt cope with the noise from the Motor X.
    Those most annoyed would probably be visitors and staff working within earshot of the noise.