Join our zoo community

Drayton Manor Theme Park Drayton Manor Zoo updates

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Adrian k, 4 Jun 2016.

1. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

New thread for the collection I will be updating shortly with a full review of my visit on 31 05 2016.

First bit of news Scottish Wildcats have returned to Scotland 4 weeks ago their enclosure now holds Golden Pheasants.

2. Adrian k

Adrian k Well-Known Member

Arrived round 10.30am with Greenline Coaches on a dry and mild morning, this was my first visit in a very long time around 20 years if my memory serves me right so was looking forward to seeing what had changed around the place.

First port of call as you enter the zoo itself was the Slender Tailed Meerkat enclosure to the left of the main path it was as you would say a run of the mill enclosure smallish and compact with an indoor viewing platform and raised path which was a little narrow as there was no separate exit door you had to double back which on a crowded day could have been a problem.

Next I went to the Reptile house just on the right of the main path, it was quite a reasonable collection with two lifers for me in the shape of Giant Waxy Monkey Frog there were at least 2 I could see in the enclosure and a Soloman Island Tree Skink.

Others of note for me anyway were Savu Island Python and a pair of African Dwarf Crocodiles, most of the enclosures were of very good size and well laid out with good viewing for all species.

Now onto the New Tamarin Trail this was a little let down to start with I was hoping for at least a small section to be a walk through but to no avail as it was just an addition to the zoo with all the species in enclosures.
    Having said that I did enjoy the area it held Common Marmoset, White Lipped Tamarin, Silvery Marmoset, Bearded Tamarin, Red Handed Tamarin & Cotton Top Tamarin did get great views of a lifer for me the White Lipped Tamarin mind you it was through the window the same as the Silvery Marmosets.

All the enclosures looked to be a good size with a scattering of planting but areas for the species to get a little privacy plenty of climbing stuff from small branches to thick large stumps.

Now into the area for mammals and a few Bird species these included Barn Owl, African Spotted Eagle Owl and Golden Pheasant the latter being in the Old Scottish wildcat enclosure by the bridge.

Didn’t know what to make of the sign on the Black Leopard/Jaguar enclosure by this I mean it looked like a Jaguar so why put Leopard on the signage but on to the enclosure it looked like it had been extended a few times but I still feel it needed to be bigger but other than this the enclosure appeared to be well maintain with a good mix of planting and climbing frames.

Now onto a species I thought I would bypass having seen them before but I did take time out to look at the Northern Lynx and must admit I did really appreciate how wonderful this species can be if in an enclosure that gives them space and different types of surface with false rock, grass and climbing exhibits around it made me think what I would have missed if I had not stopped to see these wonderful cats.

Now onto the reason I visited Drayton the Fishing Cat never seen one before so didn’t know what to expect in my mind I was expecting to see a very small cat (don’t know why I thought this) but after 5 attempts to see the cat it appeared just before 14.25 only for a few minutes but it was enough to get a couple of photographs and a few great views of this species.

The enclosure was a little overgrown and the only really good views you could get is when the cats get on the false rock towards the top, but don’t let this put you off as if you are lucky you could get a glimpse through the indoor area which can be seen from a doorway in the False Rock to the far left of the enclosure.

Now walking through an area where they have a few owls (Snowy Owl, Spectacled Owl, Milky Eagle Owl & Great Grey Owl) with the Dinosaur walk through the main attraction in this area only thing to say about this is same old same old.

Now onto the paddock area which held Reindeer, Red Kangaroo, Emu, Tapir, Capybara and a very attentive Ostrich which followed me all the way round a couple of times giving me a warning with its feathers puffed out and hissing at me at this point I decided to move a little quicker to the end of the paddock area which held Chilean Flamingos.

A small Waterfowl Pool was next stop which did hold Northern Shelduck, Red Shoveler, Carolina Wood Duck, White Cheeked Pintail, White Faced Whistling Duck & Chiloe Wigeon the pool was a little small and the planting a little sparse but a gain plenty of false rock around.

Now onto the Gibbon and Lemur area with the Lars Gibbon in a large enclosure but it appeared to be in two parts plenty of climbing equipment and close up views from a friendly Gibbon onto the Ring Tailed Lemur enclosure the same of the Gibbon enclosure but slightly smaller in size.

Now onto another Lifer for me the Pig Tailed Macaque a good enclosure for a small group it was long and slightly narrow but had plenty of climbing equipment and plenty of height making for good climbing activities.

Next was the Rhesus Monkey the same as the Pig Tailed Macaque enclosure slightly wider though but just as long.

Columbian Spider Monkey enclosure next this was in my opinion was slightly to small and narrow for a species such as Spider Monkey’s it was also very densely planted compared to all the other enclosures around the collection except for the Parrot enclosures.

Onto the Sumatran tiger enclosure this looked what a large area to be honest with plenty of planting and areas for the species to be able to hide from the public this being said I know most people would prefer a more open enclosure so as to be able to see the beautiful big cats, the indoor area appeared to be quite a large size also with large viewing windows and a good set of information notices around.

Now on to the Parrot enclosures these I found to be small and over grown with some of the enclosures not giving the species within them a good chance to fly around on the other hand the Grey Parrot and the Roseate cockatoo aviaries.

With the collection looking old and a little tired in places I wonder what the future holds for the collection after speaking to a few keepers I get the feeling that after spending time on the park attractions they are now going to concentrate on bring the collection in to a more modern era as one keeper put it come back in 5 years’ time and you wouldn’t recognize the place well let’s hope so and good luck to them.

On another point if you are going to visit the collection take a packed lunch with you as the food was shall we be polite and say a little off my rating for the day would have to be 5 out of 10

Complete list of Species seen today -

African grey parrot, Asian box turtle, Barn owl, Bearded tamarin, Black Leopard, Northern lynx, Carolina wood duck, Chilean flamingo, Chiloe wigeon, Chimpanzee, Common marmoset, Cuban boa, Emu, Fishing cat, Giant waxy monkey frog, Green anaconda, Green iguana, Hermann’s tortoise, Lars gibbon, Laughing kookaburra, Mandarin duck, Monk parakeet, Northern shelduck, Ostrich, Pig tailed macaque, Red breasted goose, Red crested pochard, Red footed tortoise, Red handed tamarin, Red kangaroo, Reindeer, Red shoveler, Rhesus monkey, Ring tailed lemur, Ringed teal, Roseate cockatoo, Savu island python, Cotton top tamarin, Dumeril’s boa, East african crowned crane, Greater rhea, Green winged macaw, Jamaican boa, Japanese ratsnake, Laughing dove, Milky eagle owl, Rainbow lorikeet, Royal python, Silvery marmoset, Soloman island tree skink, Spreo starling, Spur thighed tortoise, Sudan plated lizard, Sumatran tiger, Triton cockatoo, Umbrella cockatoo, Western african dwarf crocodile, White lipped tamarin, Slender tailed Meerkat, Taiwan beauty snake, White cheeked pintail & White faced whistling duck

This list is of the species I actually saw in the collection on my visit others maybe off show.

Brum likes this.
  3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

Chimpanzee, Toto has moved to the Wales Ape and Monkey Sanctuary: Statement from WAMS Facebook - This move means Drayton Manor no longer hold Apes

Welcome to the New Kid on the Block!
    Say hello to Toto !
    This handsome lad has come to us from Drayton Manor here in the UK ! He's an old gent at 50 years old but I bet you agree he certainly doesn't look it !
    He's settled in very well and will eventually share his home in Tubman's group .
    You all know what a kind and patient chimp our Tubman is He is the perfect friend to help Toto settle in here at WAMS .
    Toto is a very confident chimp interested in all that's going on around him !
    We certainly knew when he had arrived he made a real hullabaloo from the back of the animal ambulance !
    We think Toto wanted to announce his arrival to all his new friends here at the sanctuary

5. Falconhoof

Falconhoof Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what has happened or what will happen to the old chimp enclosure?

6. Tau

Tau Member

Sulawesi Crested Macaques are advertised on banners around the enclosure.

Could be nicely done, a lot of climbing poles and vegetation added as well as adjusting the indoor housing, the costly 'shell' is already there! A very nice species to add to the collection I think

Falconhoof likes this.
  7. Leopardus

Leopardus Member

I visited Drayton Manor today, so I thought that I would post some updates from the Park. Now, I haven't visited for about 10 years, and only have slight memories from then, so if a little vague at times, apologies! I am using Adrian k's review from about a year ago at the start of this thread to work out some things which may have changed.

The Ring-Tailed Lemurs will be moving to a new enclosure just inside the entrance to the Zoo, opposite the Meerkats. No work has started on this area as yet, but there is a sign saying that they are moving there soon.

The reptile house held a very impressive collection. A large number of lifers for me, including Balkan Green Lizard, Baron's Green Racer, Giant Girdled Lizard, Gunther's Whip Snake and Mozambique Girdled Lizard. There were around 4 or 5 empty vivs with signs on saying they were under refurbishment. No Savu Island Pythons or Solomon Islands Skinks on show anymore.

The Tamarin Trail now contains Pygmy Marmosets and Golden-Headed Lion Tamarins, but there were no Common Marmosets or White-Lipped Tamarins to be seen. The Cotton-Top Tamarins had two youngsters, born in March.

The Leopard has left the collection, moving to Lincolnshire Wildlife Park at the end of April. This enclosure now holds two Red Panda, which arrived from Longleat at the start of May.

Northern Treeshrew inhabit an enclosure in the old 'farm' section of the zoo, past the flamingos.

There was a sign on the Black-Headed Spider Monkey enclosure stating that the resident male will soon be joined by two females.

The enclosure next door to the 'Treetops' offices/food preparation area is cordoned off, undergoing redevelopment. By the looks of some artist's impressions, penguins will be going here.

Celebes Crested Macaque's now occupy the old Chimpanzee enclosure. I saw what looked like 1.1.1.

There are Kirk's Dik-Dik in with the Grey Crowned Cranes opposite what is now the Celebes Crested Macaque enclosure.

The Australian bird walkthrough was closed, but unsure why.

Overall, it seems there have been lots of changes in just the last year, so hopefully things will continue!

If anyone has any questions, or would like me to post a species list from my visit, then let me know, and I shall do my best to answer from what I saw!

Brum likes this.
  8. Falconhoof

Is this a new enclosure, or the old macaque enclosures?

9. Leopardus

Leopardus Member

New enclosure, just empty land at the moment.

10. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Chris Mitchell is in charge of the animal collection, he moved to Drayton Manor fairly recently I believe, and came from Sparsholt where he worked wonders, he is a good forward-thinking zoo-man so he should bring about some interesting improvements to the collection.

11. steveuk99

steveuk99 Member

Can you still visit the zoo over winter when the rest of the theme park is closed? I can't seem to find any info about this on their website.

pipaluk likes this.
  12. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member

About the two Red Panda, which arrived from my favorite place Longleat at the start of May. I do hope they have settled in so well

13. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member

From the video it's nice to see How Tika and Pema the Red Panda twins from Longleat settling in well into their new home at Drayton Manor Theme Park and I'll miss seeing them and one day I'll go to Drayton Manor to see how they are and here's the video of them settling in

Falconhoof likes this.
  14. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member

A Brazilian Tapir has been born and named 'Obie'

15. Falconhoof

I've added some images to the gallery of signs advertising future developments at Drayton Manor. These signs were located on the site of the old macaque enclosure near the entrance to the zoo, which is being redeveloped as a lemur enclosure (as previously mentioned by Leopardus).

The future developments include a redeveloped penguin enclosure, as well as black leopards. This implies that leopards will be returning to the collection. Interestingly, there were signs erected around the old penguin enclosure (I think) advertising the Sulawesi macaques as 'coming soon' - these were in fact in the old chimp enclosure.

16. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member

Doesn't that mean the penguins will also be returning to the collection alongside the Black leopards?

17. Falconhoof

Yes, that's true. Does anyone know when the penguins left?

18. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I popped into Drayton today on my way back from Twycross and I was massively disappointed.

For £39 to go into what I would described as a poor Theme Park, it is priced a lot higher than Flamingo Land which has a far better selection of rides, and species of animals. For me Drayton is miles worse than Flamingo land.

First of all I went into the reptile house, but half of it was closed off as they are expecting baby Dwarf crocodiles imminently so their exhibit and neighbouring exhibits were closed off.

The Green Anaconda exhibit you could barely see into from the inside, but from the outside could see it was in the water.

The Tamarin section was small but was a very good range of species and I got a couple of good photos.

Around the corner was 2 Red Panda's who had arrived from Longleat and they were mainly sleeping, but I was fortunate to be around at feed time, so managed to get some good photo's.

There were two Lynx in opposite exhibits and both were sleeping on their platforms.

The Lar Gibbon's were out playing, as were the macaque's.

The Parrot section was closed off due to building work going on.

I walked up and down the tiger section several times, but failed to see either tiger and they were not in the house. The keeper said they had a back area in the inside quarters and they were probably in there, so not visible. Which was a shame.

Round where the train station is, there was Capybara, Ostrich and Rhea, I couldn't see any Tapir and there was no signposts for them on any of the paddocks, but on the Map where it showed Tapir, was Reindeer in the paddock, so I don't know if they've been replaced.

As I was leaving I saw four signposts, which showed they were due to build a new Lemur enclosure, as well as a Penguin Rock, A new Macaque's enclosure, and they were to build a massive Leopard enclosure as well. Judging from the designs I couldn't work out where each were going, but they were impressive drawings and the Penguin section would have two ponds with a bridge over (Similar design to Edinburgh), from the drawing it looked like one side was King Penguin's but that may have just been the drawing.

I must admit I was rather disappointed with the collection overall and also disappointed by the amount of areas closed off, but it's promising the amount of future developments they have planned.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

The African dwarfs known to which ssp they belong?
    (probably the regular that most other zoological collections in Europe have)

20. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

Visited Drayton Manor yesterday for the first time.

The reptile house has some great species, their newest additions being 5 blue-legged mantilla! I managed to spot one late in the day. The keeper we spoke to said they'd only had them a month and they were normally quite showy. Other amazing species were the two giant zonure, maranon poison frog (didn't see) and the vine snake.

The parrot area was also a welcome surprise, with some amazing species: grey breasted parakeet, swift parakeet, blue-throated conure, derbyan parakeet and the best of the bunch - the horned parakeet.

The rest of the zoo was very dated, but they are making progress in updating the collection. They had a number of signs for new animals, either new species or male/female to pair up for breeding, including 2 black hornbill, brown wood owl and pair of male saki monkeys.

The final news is that they had 5 baby capybaras earlier this month.

Macaw16 and Swampy like this.