Join our zoo community

Dream african collections

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Writhedhornbill, 28 Sep 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Brought up through the congo buffalo thread and the best zoo enclosure thread, does anyone have an Idea for a zoo enclosure, with an african theme. I'm working on one, and I'll post it soon.

It will have hornbills!!!

2. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

What sort of thing are you meaning?

I was once thinking that a African Swamp exhibit'd be good; relating to the Okavango Delta or Lukanga Swamp or somewhere. You could have a mixed exhibit for Defassa Waterbuck, Lechwe, Sitatunga and large waterfowl and a separate enclosure for common hippos (with underwater viewing). It'd actually be even better if you could mix the hippos with the antelope, but I don't know how successful that'd be.

Small animals could include, Marsh Mongoose, Hyrax, Baboons, Monitor Lizards , Nile Crocodiles, Turtles and Snakes, a small waterbird aviary and an aviary for fishing owls or fish eagles. Does anywhere have anything like that?

3. Writhedhornbill

I don't know, the exhibit I'm working on is a house for lot's of african forest life, based on scripps aviary at San diego. It could be about wetlands. SHOEBILLS!!!!!!

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

would like to see an exhibit maybe called the "horn of africa", with somali wild ass, gelada baboon, beisa oryx, grevys zebra, nubian ibex, lion, black backed jackal, hyrax, ratel, vulture and aviaries for smaller birds and reptiles of the region. Highlighting the unique fauna of this area with emphasis on the highly endangered Ethiopian wolf and mountain nyala.

5. ^Chris^

lammageir and sunbird aviary would work?

Excuse spelling....

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i have done a few africa designs,

i have done 1 that is all savannah, with walk through aivaries, mixed species, rotational, massive edu centre, huge opff exhibit facilities

my hippo one had a huge exhibit that could facilitate the movemnt of stock, as well as udner water viewing of a separte hippo exhibit, like a male, or female calf scenario, with crocs opposite,. it also had a troop baboon, fish eagles, marsh mongoose, saddle bill storks, and 5 black rhino exhibit, and situtunga, lechwe and waterbuck.

at werribe open range zoo just outside melbourne, there is a new 6.5 mill hippo exhibit, that has 3 water bodies for 3 groups/individuals, and the largest exhibit with 2 females, has opening for zebra, kudu and other antelope to enter the hippo exhibit, then go down to water to drink. there is a 'stock filter', which is just poles, easy for antelopes to get through, but not a hippo. when it first opened of course tehre was electric wires there to begin witrh, maybe they ahve been removed and stock can come in now? andyone justify?

7. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

not sure about that.

absolutely great A grade exhibit though. the "poles" are just quite thin saplings...which looks lovely and naturalistic, but i wonder if withough hotwires thehippo would just push them over.

8. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Aucklands African plains

Just as soon as you get into the Zoo , if you go on the Southern path , it is an elevated walkway above a mixed giraffe/zebra/ostrich exhibit , with a stock filter next to the rhino exhibit , where the springboks can come in/out at will .
    Across from the rhinos ( which I believe is now shared with the porcupines , but they have moved there since my previous visit to the zoo ) there is a lion island which is mostly moated , but has a part where there is strong glass . The hippos , servals , elephants , and baboons are nearby , but are in seperate enclosures . All the birds are on the other side of the zoo

9. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

what arent u sure about pat?

10. Writhedhornbill

Here's mine: 'the congo experience' (such an original title!)

There are three buildings. The yellow backed duiker building, the main house, and the okapi/buffalo house. They are all joined together, but there are doors to pass through into each one. The main building is a massive walk-in aviary.

The first Building is the yellow backed duiker building. This is the inside quarters for a small group of the species. There is also a small aviary in here with congo peafowl and lady ross's turacos. The path in this building is a boardwalk, and the surrounding area is a planted area. The enclosure for the duiker, has a concrete floor, but this is quite hard to see, because of the layer of plants in front. The congo peafowl/lady ross's turaco aviary is as tall as the building. with keeper acess from the outside of the building. The layout of this building, is the duiker inside area on one side of the path and the viary on the other side.

The main area of the exhibit is a massive walk in aviary, very much like the tropical realm at Chester, because it has vivariums and other bird aviaries inside it. There are numerous pathways, that lead off to different vivariums, and views to the outside paddocks for the yellow backed duiker, ongo buffalo and debrazza's gueneon, and the okapi and red flanked duiker. The species free flying in this aviary are:

Hottentot teal
    White backed duck
    White faced whistling duck
    Hartlaub's duck
    African pygmy goose
    Comb duck
    African openbill
    Great blue turaco
    African jacana
    Hadada ibis
    Hammerkop
    white headed buffalo weaver
    superb starling
    red cheeked cordon bleu
    green wood hoopoe
    Lilac brested roller

There are some pools in the walk-in aviary for the waterfowl and the storks/hammerkops/jacanas. There is also a small building at the furthest end of the aviary, where some birds can be taken off show if they are not doing very well in the main exhibit.

The other aviaries in this exhibit are home to other exotic african birds, that could end up killing the other birds in free flight if released. The largest of these aviaries is for the black casqued hornbill. Right next to this aviary is another similar sized one for a pair of yellow casqued hornbills. The vivariums house a few species. The largest vivarium houses a group of royal antelope. They are put in a very large vivarium, about the size of the komodo exhibit at Chester. I decided to put the royal antelope in a vivarium, rather than an enclosur in the walk in, because the open bills or hammerkops, may target the young. The other vivariums are home to black and rufous elephant shrew ( a species which captive population is growing rapidly thanks to a few american zoos breeding them successfully.),Bell's hinge back tortoise, gaboon viper, west african green mamba, african bullfrog, golden mantellas and nile monitors.

The last building, has three exhibits, an inside area for okapi and red flanked duiker, an inside area for congo buffalo and debrazzoa's guenon, and an inside area for a group of red river hogs(or some other african pig. The buffalo and guenons are viewable through a very thick glass barrier. This is to keep the guenons in, otherwise, I would have jut left it as a cattle house. The okapi and duiker are kept in an area that can be split into two, one space for each okapi. The duiker also have a separate inside enclosure. The hogs arealso kept behind a glass barrier, but it does not go that high, and some visitors can look over it. The outdoor exhibits are quite large, and should be suitable for herds of each species.

No I need to draw up a diagram and put it on the gallery. Phew!

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member

It sounds a lot like something that Chester could do with the current Cattle, Giraffe, Opaki and Tropical Houses complex. It sounds fantastic. You'll have to become a zoo designer.

I was going to submit an Ethiopian themed collection in this thread but Kiang beat me to it. I haven't thought of anything else yet.

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

sorry m8, what is they say abour gr8 minds

13. Writhedhornbill

I've also done a large mixed amazon house, a philippine house and a tundra exhibit, with a large enclosure for musk deer.

14. ^Chris^

Another African exhibit I thought might work quite well would be an 'Africa Underground' exhibit focusing on subterranean Savannah species. The exhibit could include Warthog, Dwarf and Banded Mongoose, Rock Python, Tortoise, Bat-Eared Fox, Aardwolf and Aardvark. It could also include 1 big ungulate species to represent the above ground species, with some of the underground animals having access to their paddock.

15. Writhedhornbill

Warthogs and bat eared foxes are in a mixed exhibit at the San Diego WAP.

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member

i have also had a thought about the "bush at night" a large in door nocturnal exhibit, with a large central enclosure for aardwolf and aardvark in a mixed exhibit with surrounding enclosures for black footed cat, dwarf mongoose, naked mole rat, blue duiker, milky eagle owl, galagos and free flying bats.

17. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member

Have a look at the gallery I have a design for a Giraffe holding exhibit. It is part of an mixed African exhibit I am designing.