Join our zoo community

Dream Gorilla Group

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by ShonenJake13, 5 Apr 2017.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member

CHALLENGE

Imagine if you will that you are a gorilla studbook keeper.

You have been tasked with creating a new group for a zoo. The enclosure can fit a grand total of 15 gorillas (that includes both adult and young animals). There are a few criteria you must/can meet:

1. A good demographic range (some elderly animals, some young animals, some mature animals etc)

2. (If you know enough about this) the group must be genetically viable

3. One of your 15 gorillas must be Amahoro from Antwerp (she will not be breeding of course)

4. At least two of your remaining animals can be wildborn (not including Amahoro)

5. Females and young still reliant on them (e.g. Mjukuu and Alika, Romina and Afia etc) can be included.

6. THEY MUST ALL BE FROM WITHIN EUROPE

Hope this seems fun to some people out there, sorry to only include Europe but it's individuals I know at least!! :)

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

I'd chose:

Silverback:

Richard (1991) from Prague Zoo

Females:

Kamba (1972) from Prague Zoo
    Kishka (1978) from Jersey Zoo
    Frala (1981) from Taronga Zoo with offspring born 2015
    Shinda (1991) from Prague Zoo with offspring born 2016
    Kijivu (1993) from Prague Zoo with offspring born 2012
    Bikira (1994) from Prague Zoo

This would give a total of 7 adults and 3 infants/juveniles.

The further 5 spaces would be allocated to allow breeding of the above females.

Note: I'm aware that the mixing of the silverback Kumbuka with the infant that is not his offspring has the potential for disasterous consequences, however this is a hypothetical thread for the purpose of fun so I ask people to overlook this upload_2017-4-6_10-45-29.png

I'm from the Australasian region (New Zealand) so my knowledge of European gorillas is mostly limited to the descendents of the Taronga Zoo troop in Australia. Frala (1981) is the mother of Shinda (1991) which is one reason I have included her. She was born at the Apenhuel Primate Park in the Netherlands.

3. ShonenJake13

Guess I'll put my own group forward:

Silverback = Kouillou from Port Lympne (wildborn, if people reckon he's too well represented will substitute with Gugas from Belfast or Niky from Cabarceno for also being wildborn)

Other members of the group =

- Amahoro from Antwerp (on contraceptive, included as it's a rule of the challenge)
    - Kathrin/Kathi and Anandi from Hannover (Kathi would serve as mother figure to inexperienced females)
    - Momo and Ayo from Duisburg (Momo is descended from wildborn parents and has only bred once, Ayo being her only offspring)
    - Shinda and Ajabu from Prague (only recently bred for the first time, related to Frala so good female, seems to be a push to breed Prague group as of late)
    - Muni from Barcelona (never bred, parents are both wildborn I believe)
    - Jade from Espace Zoologique (parents are both wildborn)
    - N'Aika and N'Irale from Burgers' (N'Aika cannot breed in current group as her dad is the silverback, so be good to bring her in to give her breeding opportunities)
    - Mayombe from Beauval (reached breeding age, again current push for Beauval females to be bred)
    - Ubongo from Loro Parque (young male in bachelor group, being picked on at the moment, could be neutered as parents are well represented in studbook, and then be brought into group like Nasibu and Loango in Rotterdam and GaiaZOO respectively)
    - D'Jomo from Vallée des Singes (same reason as Ubongo, parents well represented, so could be neutered and brought into group as castrated blackback)

This leaves my group with 5.10 gorillas including Amahoro.

4. Zoofan15

That's a big group!

Hey, just wondering, you said there was a push to breed the Prague Zoo group lately? Kamba is post reproductive so are you referring plans to breed from Kijivu and Bikira in the near future? Kijivu had offspring in 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2012 so got off to a great start but has not produced offspring for almost 5 years now.

5. ShonenJake13

There's not an official push for them to be bred, like a studbook initiative or anything. But Shinda has bred recently and her parents are F1 animals (including Frala, who was of interest to you :) ) so she'd be a good one to have.

6. Zoofan15

I read an interesting story recently about Kijivu’s youngest offspring who was born in 2012:

“A peculiar thing is that Nuru is brought up by the oldest female of the group, calm and peaceful quadragenarian Kamba, rather than by his own mother, Kijivu. Kamba lost her own baby in a complicated birth when Nuru was two months old and consequently virtually adopted Kijivu‘s son. Not only does she spend most time with him, take care of him, and carry him on her back, she has even been breastfeeding him from the beginning!”

The females at Prague Zoo seem quite comfortable with offspring sharing. When Kijivu’s first baby was born in 2004, Shinda would often hold her and Kijivu wouldn’t object. Kijuvu has also been seen holding Shinda’s new baby and her sons are both very gentle with him.

I’m wondering if the close age gap between Kijivu’s youngest two offspring led to her accepting Kamba’s almost total take over of Nuru’s rearing.

Hopefully Shinda will have more births in the future now she’s been able to carry a baby to term. She’s still young and should be able to have a few more over the next 10-15 years.

It’ll be interesting to see if/when they breed from Bikira again. I think the intention is for her to gain more experience with babies through watching the others but it sounds like Kamba could take over as a surrogate if need be.