Join our zoo community

Dreamworld Dreamworld Tiger Bites Handler

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Peter Dickinson, 22 May 2011.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Despite the fact a quick internet search suggests the keeper was in free contact with the orca, my question was "should all shows cease because the potential for death exists?" Particularly in light of your statement "Captive killer whales are well known for being problematic in captivity".

:p

Hix

2. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

As someone who works with aquatics, my understanding of the terminology used is that free contact for aquatics involves swimming with them. Blanche was in semi-protected contact - still land-based. Yes, there is a difference.

You can have cetacean shows with semi or protected contact. You don't have to do roman rides or synchronised swimming with them.

Last edited: 30 May 2011
  3. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Has anyone done the serval encounter at Werribee Zoo yet? A little bit on the pricey side ($70), but it looks great!

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

There are plenty of photos of her swimming and riding the whales. Maybe not Tilikum, but the fact she wasn't in the water with him at the time does not invalidate my original question.

:p

Hix

5. Gajah69

Gajah69 Well-Known Member

I concur with Steve R.I am going to throw some 'oil on the fire'.I reckon there are 'those who can and those who can't'.The handler that was bitten 'can ' but obviously injured as a result of working with his tigers.If we are all to be levelled at mediocrity then skills developed in the past will be lost.All zoo's/attractions rely on being or having unique exhibits to attract the visiting public so where do we get off telling stakeholders whether they should be FC or PC.This is peoples' livelihoods and they have trained developing necessary skills to manage the aforementioned species in captivity.I see the visiting public enjoy the observed interaction or personal just as visitors have since the first zoo's opened in Europe.Man has an affinity with the natural world and in the 'west' we know best and we will define it for the rest of the world to follow,I hope we don't and for those who disagree,disagree,you will not convince me otherwise.