Join our zoo community

Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo Dubai Aquarium

Discussion in 'United Arab Emirates' started by zooman, 28 Aug 2008.

1. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have heard very relaible information that Dubai is now about to start constrution of the worlds biggest aquarium. Contracts have been awarded.

It will apparentley dwarf all previous aquariums!!

Would imagine it will be huge!

Does anyone have more information?

Now finally a reason to go to Dubai!

2. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You're a little late to the party! The aquarium at Dubai Mall was originally due to open late last year, but the opening date has been pushed back twice, firstly to 28 Aug (TODAY!) and now 30 Oct. The aquarium will be contained within one of the world's largest shopping malls with 1200 shops. Who needs 1200 shops?

The claims over the size of the aquarium have been scaled down slightly. Latest press blurb now says it will have one of the largest tanks in the world, measuring 51m x 20m x 11m, with the largest viewing window, at 32.8m wide and 8.3m high. By my calculations that would make it a 11,220,000 litre tank, and that is indeed bloody huge. But in terms of species, the aquarium is not that large - only 85 are planned. 30 sand tiger sharks were recently delivered.

You can find out most of this stuff from internet searches.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Opening of Dubai mall threatened as sharks in display aquarium turn on each other with 40 killed so far | Mail Online

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Simple solution-Get rid of the sand tiger sharks.
    Dubai solution-Keep adding more sharks because they'll never run out of money.

5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Just in case you hadn't heard: the opening date has been pushed back yet again (to Tuesday 4th November) and Guinness World Records have confirmed that Dubai now have the world's largest acrylic viewing window.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If these introductions in the shark tank are anything to go by we must have serious reservations towards aquarium management. I would like to know whose behind the multi-million dollars and responsible for aquarium management. Are their senior, curatorial and keeper staff from within the aquarium trade or have no prior qualified selections been followed?

On a separate note: shame that this large aquarium can go ahead where the zoo management and curatorial staff of cramped Dubai Zoo have been struggling for years at their old site and delivered first class animal husbandry and management, whereas they have seen promise upon promise evaporate that the new and 200+ ha zoo would be built (originally it was due to open in Mushrif Park in 2006). It has yet to become reality.

The Dubai Zoo episode is all the more peculiar as both Dubai and Abu Dhabi have a good track record where wild animal management is concerned. These days the UAE has an inspection service and minimum vet standards for both zoos and private wild animal collections.

That things are seriously moving is exemplified by the efforts in Abu Dhabi to upgrade and modernise the Al Ain Zoo into a world class conservation breeding and education facility. Plans are already in the works to hand the city of Abu Dhabi itself a zoological and botanical garden too, thus immersing Emiratis in their rich natural and cultural heritage.

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

9. Chlidonias

the giant aquarium at the Atlantis hotel which housed the whale shark isn't the same giant aquarium as the one at the Dubai mall (it took a bit of back-and-forth on internet sites to work that out though - there appear to be several aquariums in Dubai!)

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for clearing that up chlidonias, i knew there were 2 mega-aquarium in Dubai, but didn't look hard enough, rush to post and all that ;)

11. trixie

trixie Well-Known Member

I visited the Aquarium last month.i was very impressed.

12. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hopefully that was the journalists error, and not the green-winged party celebrating the release... The journalistic errors that are being made are just depressing.

13. Chlidonias

14. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I just happened upon this thread and your link to this article again: when I visited in December of last year, the silvertip sharks which arrived in summer 2010 (and featured on National Geographic's 'Animal Mega Moves') were actually being kept in quarantine tanks to protect them from the sandtigers. I was told that this arrangement will likely continue for some time - at least until the silvertips are big enough.

15. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Monster Queensland crocodile, Jock the croc, bound for Dubai shopping mall zoo

Monster Queensland crocodile, Jock the croc, bound for Dubai shopping mall zoo - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jungle Man likes this.