Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo Dublin Zoo Elephants

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Bongo, 14 Jun 2007.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Will there be a third female breeder at Dublin before long or is it within EEP policy to stick with 2 breeding females and a visiting bull for breeding.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2008
  2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

That's great news
    When Hussein comes, will the breeding be in contact with the herd, or in pair with either Yasmin or Bernhardine for safety of the calves or some other reason? oh and any plans for Hussein replacement?

3. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member

Hussein as one of the best breeding bulls in Europe would be a good choice!:) And there are two more of his descendants in the pipeline: Yashoda will calve ~ next month, Thura ~ spring next year. He is a handsome and calm bull and he becomes accepted by all his ladies. You´ll find some of my pictures of him in the gallery!;)

4. dragon(ele)nerd

wow, thanks sitara didn't know about Thura, as like many other descriptions of him, he seems a calm bull now contary to when he was a young bull which was the reason why he got the name "Hussein"

5. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member

May i correct you? His name “Hussein” has nothing to do with his personality and character. He was always a calm one. It was the reason, why the zoo-director and his famous elephant-keeper Karl Kock selected him as young bull. Kock was travelling in India and found him looking for an elephant bull near Mysore/Karnataka, tied to a tree with two other elephants near a road while their mahouts were resting. At this moment one of the large busses passed quickly with very much noise nearby with only ~1 meter distance. And Hussein? He did not bat an eyelid. The experienced keeper decided immediately in favour of him. You´ll find this story in the book of this keeper “Elephants – my life”, unfortunately written only in German.

6. dragon(ele)nerd

Your right this source is much more reliable, than the previous article written on him on elefanten.fan.de, people in germany do seem to be very knowledgeable about elephants,

7. Elly

Elly Well-Known Member

I don't think that the EEP has strict policies on this, it al depends on the situation. In this case I don't expect a third unrelated breeder to be added at the group as they will have a third breeder anyway in a couple of years (Anak) and this really is a family group, not onrelated young females being put togethern - why mess with stable family relations?

8. Upali

Upali Well-Known Member

Is there any news on when about Hussein will go to Dublin yet? The herd has been there for a few years now, around the time interval they mentioned...

9. dragon(ele)nerd

On another thread it was mentioned that Hussein will remain in Hamburg, and the stud book keeper is trying to find a suitable bull.

10. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don`t think Dublin is ready for a bull yet, construction work for the bull barn hasn`t started.

11. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any news if Dublin has started building a bull barn?

12. dirty harry

dirty harry Active Member

bull barn

Hopefully work will start at the end of the busy season,so good news!

13. dragon(ele)nerd

awesome, I can't wait to see a bull in dublin.

14. Andy DC

Andy DC Active Member

15. Andy DC

Andy DC Active Member

I visited the Zoo today and work has begun on the Bull House. According to the notice it began on 1 November 2011 and should be completed in 20 weeks. It said it was a one storey bull elephant house. It is situated right next to the reptile house, blocking the exit, so the front door is for both in and out.