Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo Dublin Zoo news thread

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by kiang, 12 Apr 2015.

1. ArboLowe

ArboLowe Well-Known Member

Births: Two Sulawesi macaques born in December and January bringing the total number of macaques to 27.
    Departures: Two Indian hornbills moved to Prague. Nine Rodrigues bats moved to Attica zoo. Personally feel these could of been housed in zoorassic world. Three female hunting dogs moved to port lympne. A male goeldis monkey was moved to Gothenburg, Sweden.
    Arrivals: a male bongo called nsaoh has arrived form port lympne to breed with nanyuki.
    Deaths: Sam a 42year old white rhino who arrived in Dublin zoo in 1977 has died. He fathered one offspring. Two aging wolves who arrived from longleat in 2008 passed away. The pack is currently 8 in size.

dublinlion, Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  2. Babyrousa

Babyrousa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

[QUOTE="
    Departures: Two Indian hornbills moved to Prague. Nine Rodrigues bats moved to Attica zoo. Personally feel these could of been housed in zoorassic world. Three female hunting dogs moved to port lympne. A male goeldis monkey was moved to Gothenburg, Sweden."
    [/QUOTE]

The hornbills and fruit bats were, of course, part of Zoorassic world when it was the Roberts house. But as Zoorassic world is all reptiles, it would not have made sense to include them there. I would agree though that it is a shame for the zoo to lose both species.

dublinlion and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Did they ever had any breeding success with the hornbills.

4. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Hornbills bred regularly and several were raised, as far as I remember the original female died a few years ago and am not sure if they replaced her or held one of the offspring with the male.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. ArboLowe

Great news a baby gorilla was born on April 1st to first time mum Kafi! Bangui is the father

Last edited: 8 Apr 2019
  6. Babyrousa

I just watched the first episode of the ninth series of The Zoo on record with my family. It shows Bangui's arrival and the birth of the tiger cubs. It actually showed that there were three cubs born, but unfortunately the first of the three was accidentally crushed by Tundra before the other two cubs were born :(:oops:. Anyway, I really enjoyed the episode :).

ArboLowe likes this.
  7. ArboLowe

Confirmed by the zoo as a female.

dublinlion likes this.
  8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

That is good news :)

9. ArboLowe

The latest episode showed Zinda had a case of the elephant herpes virus. The first time a case of it had been in the zoo. Thankfully she was cured. The Amur tiger cubs introduction to dad Ussuri and the confirmation of Kafi the gorillas pregnancy were also shown.

10. Babyrousa

11. Babyrousa

12. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Current director Leo Oosterweghel set to retire.

dublinlion likes this.
  13. Babyrousa

14. dublinlion

There was a half price offer last weekend and I went along to see the wolf exhibit. It is normally at least a beautiful zoo but on this occasion there were giant plastic ornaments and cables (upcoming "wild lights display") lying around all over the place and some pathways were blocked off.
    Anyway I spent about three hours walking around and was surprised to see the Orang enclosure looking vastly improved with massive vegetation growth covering the island area and somewhat obscuring and blending the horrid mock trees and ropes. The orangs and gibbons were making good use of the all the climbing opportunities. The huge Celebes macaque troop and large islands also looked amazing. As it was a wet day the Giraffe herd were inside and it is here that their great size is very obvious, but the large outdoor plains area looked very bleak with little huddles of oryx, zebras and three ostrich hugging the fence line. The gorillas were separated with kafi and baby and new mother vana inside (6 days before birth). The rest were outside chasing the mangabeys in the trees and enjoying life. Sealions, Elephants and Rhino all looking great.
    The main reason for my visit the Wolf exhibit was an anti climax, it looks okay but seems smaller and more cage like than before.
    I avoided the three museum houses and saw three of the 7/8 species of bird, ostrich, flamingo and ground hornbill.
    My thoughts on this zoo is, whats good is very good but just not enough species.

15. dublinlion

In the most recent annual review for Dublin and Fota, the main Dublin news is the confirmed pregnancy of okapi female last Nov. so all going well a baby early in new year.
    Also the long time assistant director moved elsewhere/retired? last year, and with the director due to retire soon it will be all change at the top.

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Nov 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. AthleticBinturong

Dublin needed a change to be honest.

17. Babyrousa

Great to hear that there will soon be a baby okapi in Dublin! It will be a first for Ireland!:):D

18. dublinlion

Would agree with the need for change. The current director has transformed Dublin zoo as a business and a Modern zoo and deserves and gets huge credit, but its time to stop losing species, add some diversity and freshen things up.
    Simple and inexpensive improvements might be to convert one or two of the reptile tanks into Aquariums for active Malawi cichlids or mudskippers and add a few netted Aviaries in various places around the zoo. there are lots of empty spaces.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. AthleticBinturong

Huge need for more bird species in Dublin zoo. What is there now 6/7 species? If that.

20. Babyrousa

I was at the zoo yesterday, and I actually saw the calf in the indoor viewing area with mum :D.