Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo Dublin Zoo news thread

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by kiang, 12 Apr 2015.

1. LiSom

LiSom Well-Known Member

Do you have some photos? :)

2. Babyrousa

Babyrousa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the gallery, I've just uploaded a photo of the calf, taken by my dad. There was a barrier to prevent visitors from getting too close to the window, so I stood behind my dad to block off the reflection. I did take some photos from my phone, but they're not that great, but at least dad took better photos ;).

3. Babyrousa

Elephantelephant likes this.
  4. Babyrousa

From the zoo's Facebook page:

"Following the announcement from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar this morning regarding COVID-19, we have taken the decision to close from 6pm on 12th of March until Monday 30th March 2020.

To ensure continuity of care for the animals, a contingency staffing plan is underway and will be implemented throughout this temporary closure.

Thank you, Dublin Zoo."

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  5. masonstar

masonstar Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any Infos about the Hybrid Giraffes would be great....
    Think they have 2 males and one female......one died 2016 .....Names and Infos are welcome

Any Infos about the Rothschild
    Date of the male Robin?
    Tefari the new male - there from?
    Is the female Cocio form Aalbourg still there?

would be great it anybody know the infos

6. Babyrousa

Antoine likes this.
  7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Shirokuma and Babyrousa like this.
  8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both Amur Tiger cubs (Born 2018) have now moved to Zoo La Barben in France. A male Sealion (born 2019) also went to Amiens

Kifaru Bwana, Jungle Man and Antoine like this.
  9. Babyrousa

Antoine, Jungle Man and Fallax like this.
  10. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dublin zoo has still not officially announced the Okapi birth but are running a naming competition on Facebook. The baby is now 10 months old and female. The Director retired a few weeks ago but no mention of his successor yet. The zoo continues its popularity and is booked out for months to come at much reduced capacity. The set out route is very limited and all houses and sheltered areas are closed off.
    Has anyone heard any news on the new director as I find it impossible to get any information.
    I heard a recent radio interview by Leo and he said that he faced very hostile antizoo press and media attention when he first arrived and it took hard work and time to turn this around to it's current position as the darling of the media.
    I well remember the anti zoo brigade were in full flow and Dublin zoo was threatened with closure. The Irish government then gave 20 million and granted extra land to the zoo. Leo then set out to build an image and concentrated on reducing animal numbers and building new modern enclosures for a smaller number of species. The TV programme was a real game changer and the pr department was ramped up to the stage that this year the head pr girl won best marketer in Ireland award.
    It will be interesting to see if the next director will stay with the Leo method or break rank and add new species. A small aviary with budgies and four finch species would double the bird collection.
    Despite my lack of interest in the current collection, I firmly believe Leo did an amazing job and never wavered in his objective to rebuild an aging zoo and give it respectability.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

My first visit was in 2012 so I don't know what the zoo was like before that, but he obviously recognised what it takes to bring in the crowds. The enclosures on the 'new' side of the zoo are impressive, particularly the gorilla one. And I really like the ingenious way they extended the old orangutan exhibit, and clearly so do the orangs. As a primate/mammal fan, I always enjoy my visits, but some more birds would be good too.

dublinlion likes this.
  12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hope he broadens the non mammalian collection.

Kifaru Bwana and dublinlion like this.
  14. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In an other thread it was mentioned that old male white rhino "Sam" isn't alive anymore. When did he pass away?

And, has the baby rhino been named yet?

15. dublinlion

A new series of the Zoo aired last Sunday and I have to say the format and content is somewhat jaded at this stage. I will continue to watch it just in case they sneak in a new living animal or new director news. There were three storylines, Elephants, Gorillas and a Snow leopard veterinary procedure. The Snowleopard sequence played like a soap opera as a suspected cancer was found to be an abscess, as a dozen young women stood around and the good news was relayed to an embarrassed looking zookeeper.
    Of interest was the news that two young bull Elephants are being prepared for shipping to Sydney Zoo and also the Matriarch Bernadine rejected her female calf and it had to be bottle fed. Also the male Gorilla had to be separated from the baby as he was not behaving well. On my last visit months ago the two nursing females were separate from the rest of the group.

16. Babyrousa

Although the okapi's birth has not officially been announced, the zoo have announced on their Facebook page today that 'Dalia' is the winning name in the naming competition.

"The name Dalia is of African origin, meaning gentle or tender and is rumoured to be one of the luckiest names for a girl."

17. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Are series 7,8,9 and 10 Of The Zoo going to be released as a DVD boxset soon? I own all of The Zoo series that have been released so far.

Also as Kafi,Vana and their babies, have been segregated from the rest of the Gorilla family,will they be moved to another European animal collection? I say this as the longer they are out of the family for the higher the chance of being ousted.

If the Gorillas do have to move could they be rehoused to Bristol Zoo or London Zoo? I say this as there are currently no sexuality mature male Gorillas residing at London Zoo. As for Bristol Zoo I recommend this place as Jock the dominant Silverback happily accepts new females. Bristol is also already home to female Gorillas who we roughly the same age as Kafi and Vana. As well as this Bristol also has a few young Gorillas who Kafi and Vana's daughters could befriend.

18. dublinlion

Hi hedgehog, some of the current zoo series filming and stories are up to two years old.
    Last weeks episode mentioned that Bangui was temporarily separated from the group. That event happened around summer 2019. I visited In dec. 2019 and I saw the two females and babies closed off inside. This weeks episode indicated that Bangui was being gradually mixed back with the family. This all happened last year and as far as I know the family are all happy at present.
    Kafu's female baby is 18 months and Vanu's Male baby is one year next week.
    The newer series boxsets should be on sale at xmas.
    Hope this helps.

19. masonstar

masonstar Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any idea - where the resident male giraffe Tafari comes from???

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are you unaware male Gorillas will kill infants that are not their own?- introducing females with infants to a strange male would simply be a death sentence for them.