Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo Dublin Zoo news thread

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by kiang, 12 Apr 2015.

1. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There was a male and a female in the grass paddock on the right and in the sand paddock there was a male, 2 females and 2 cubs.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Irish Mirror(I think it is) Newspaper carries an article saying Dublin are already 'urgently' looking for a replacement for Harry. Particularly because they have several young ones including the two ex Stuttgart babies, personality will be important, they'll need another more placid, gentle male(like Harry) who won't be rough with them- but while still commanding the group's overall respect.

No idea which male they will choose- it will be decided between the zoo and EEP no doubt but I hope they consider my namesake Pertinax currently at Paignton Zoo- he would in my opinion fit the bill very well.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2016
  3. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Orangutan Forest at Dublin Zoo is now officially OPEN!

The new orang utan exhibit is open, a home they now share with siamang and it looks pretty impressive.

Attached Files:

6. kiang

7. squirrelmonkey

squirrelmonkey Well-Known Member

Judging by the video, I preferred the way their original island was without the two fake trees. IMO I am a bit disappointed but will judge it properly when i see it myself hopefully in the upcoming weeks after my a levels.

8. Pertinax

Fake trees never overly attractive but I think in this case the design means they can winch food up inside them to encourage the Orangs to really climb up the full height and actually use them. In which case I think appearance is secondary.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'm having problems with youtube so can't tell if it's on the site of their old enclosure or if there's a new house. The old house was awful. From the photos, it looks more interesting than the grassy slope with trees joined by a rope.

10. koda

koda New Member

Each tree has climbing possibilities. There are ten trees in total in the outside area and two more indoors. Three trees have the feeding systems. The trees are very close copies of kapok (Ceiba Pentandra), banyon and strangler fig (Ficus sp)
    The videos don't really show the details in the trees to be honest and the drone footage, whilst quite nice, shows a view which won't be seen from the public viewing areas.

11. Pertinax

Good to see them properly climbing, including the adult male Sibu. With more practise and usage of the new climbing opportunities, they should get fitter and faster, and become less 'ground-based' hopefully- particularly if they continue being provided with food at height which gives them the incentive to climb.

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. squirrelmonkey

squirrelmonkey Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed from the youtube videos is that the fake trees are not linked. It is great how real they look and the feeding opportunities, but I would have liked them to be linked by ropes at least.

14. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just thought of something; with all of his offspring sired at Chester Zoo now dead from herpes viruses, is anyone at Dublin worried about the three calfs in Dublin contracting EEHV from Upali?

Last edited: 6 Jul 2016
  15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They are probably keeping a very close eye on them for the slightest change, and keeping their fingers crossed that they don't get EEHV

16. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

Does the Orangs aerial walkway cross over the human footpath, if so, other than the height, what is stopping the Orangs from dropping down onto the footpath?

17. kiang

Gorilla born, sex unknown as yet.

https://www.facebook.com/DublinZoo/...98555278135/10155030268373136/?type=3&theater

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Pertinax

This creates a complicated situation, as it will compromise the addition of any new male to replace Harry and take over group leadership- its not safe to add one now really until the baby is about four years old. The downside of course being the group has to stay without a male a long time, which some of them may also find equally stressful. No easy solution.

20. dunstbunny

dunstbunny Well-Known Member

Can't they just continue integrating Vana and Tebogo, and when it's time Tebogo can assume the role of a Silverback?
    Like with Kito growing into the responsabilities?