Join our zoo community

Ducks galore

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by JustRhonda, 29 Jun 2012.

1. JustRhonda

JustRhonda New Member

I'm wondering if we made a mistake with the ducks we have. We have 4 males that started being very aggressive toward one another. They are approx. a year in age. So, I brought home 4 mature female ducks. There seems to be territorial thing and the groups stay on their own side of the pond. When a male does get close, he attacks a female and seems to bite her pretty hard until she gets away. Did I make a mistake thinking the males needed mates?

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Male ducks during breeding can be quite nasty creatures. I've seen wild mallards, for lack of a better term, rape other ducks.

3. JustRhonda

JustRhonda New Member

I think I'll take a sling shot out there and sit and when the male ducks show that aggressive behavior, have target practice! I had no idea this transition would be so difficult. the aggression the males were showing toward one another made me think one of them was going to get drowned - thus the females. what to do....

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Your drakes may take a while to show normal sexual behaviour after living as an all male group. However, if these are ordinary domestic ducks, you really need a much higher ratio of females, at least two ducks per drake. One option might be to re-home three drakes as an all male bachelor group, and just keep one with four wives.

5. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it is actually called something like the rape flight. Ducks really are very violent when they mate.