Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoo bird species from the past.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AdrianW1963, 5 May 2018.

1. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After looking on ZTL I was wondering if this is a full list of Birds previously at the collection but then I realised that quite a few were missing only problem is I can't remember which ones so if any of you can help with Bird species previously held within the collection I would be extremely grateful -

African olive-pigeon
    African Spotted Eagle-owl
    American kestrel
    Argentine Cinnamon Teal
    Ariel Toucan
    Black-faced ibis
    Black-naped fruit-dove
    Blue crane
    Blue-tailed Imperial-Pigeon
    Boobook Owl
    Branicki`s Ibis
    British jay
    Bronze Turkey
    Buffy Fish-owl
    Chiloe wigeon
    Citron-crested cockatoo
    Common bronzewing
    Common eider duck
    Crested caracara
    Crested guan
    Crimson rosella
    Crimson shining parrot
    Croaking ground-dove
    Domestic muscovy duck
    Emerald starling
    Emperor goose
    Ferruginous hawk
    Fischer's lovebird
    Golden-breasted starling
    Green junglefowl
    Green military macaw
    Grey junglefowl
    Grey-cheeked hornbill
    Harris' hawk
    Hartlaub's turaco
    Hyacinth macaw
    Jackass penguin
    Japanese quail
    Kelp Gull
    Laughing dove
    Laysan duck
    Little chachalaca
    Macaroni penguin
    Maguari stork
    Morotai yellow-backed lory
    New Zealand scaup
    New Zealand Teal
    Orange-headed thrush
    Orange-spotted bulbul
    Great Horned Owl
    Palawan peacock-pheasant
    Paradise shelduck
    Pied Imperial-Pigeon
    Pink pigeon
    Red-necked Sulawesi ground-dove
    Rockhopper penguin
    Sacred ibis
    Sclater`s crowned-pigeon
    Southern cassowary
    Speckled pigeon
    Steller's jay
    Temminck's tragopan
    Upland goose
    Vermiculated Eagle-owl
    Western crowned-pigeon
    White-cheeked turaco
    White-throated toucan
    White-winged Duck
    Yellow-backed chattering lory

I would have loved to have seen some of these species and wondered if people know any collections that hold any of the above?

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The clue's in your first paragraph. :p

3. AdrianW1963

Yes but we know how ZTL can be a little out dated with the information.

4. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So can people's observations unless they're a regular visitor. There's always going to be a time lag regardless of system (unless you've found a way around this with your "US project"). Also, even if someone visited yesterday it doesn't guarantee a birds on-show or viewable (even if on-show) today -embrace the beautiful randomness of life.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They definitely had cassowaries in the late 1970s (and for some years afterwards) which were in the enclosure directly opposite the Barbary sheep (set back behind the picnic area) but couldn't be definite about which species. Can't help with any of the others, sorry.

6. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, I too remember seeing the Cassowary around there a few times back when I was little (in the early 2000's I think), and I was disappointed when I found out it had been replaced with Rheas back in 2009. And as crazy as it would sound, I really would LOVE to see this species make a comeback to the DZG collection. They could do with a new, bigger enclosure (I'm thinking of placing them in the wooded area next to the sea lions: where the newt ponds and gibbon enclosures are located).

The new enclosure I'm picturing in my head should consist of:
    • High fencing (obviously) - to keep the birds safely inside and to make sure that they don't jump out of the enclosure and/or hurt anyone (Because they are extremely aggressive of course).
    • Different types of bushes - to give the enclosure quite a natural-looking appearence to it and also to make the cassowaries not so easy to spot. Obviously, we don't want to have TOO MANY bushes inside the enclosure as this would make them seem a little too difficult to spot (I know, they are solitary and they like to be left alone at times, but still!)
    • A little water pool (maybe?) - Now, this one is rather more optional when it comes to "Cassowary Enclosures" and all, but I'm just throwing this one onto the list because cassowaries do like to swim, and maybe on a hot summer day they could use this pool to cool themselves down from the heat of the sun.
    • A large fence in the middle - To keep both birds seperated during the day (Obviously), because chances are if they remain in the same paddock together they may be more likely to attack (or even kill) each other, and we definitely don't want that to happen at all!
    • And last but not least on this list is.... - An indoor viewing area for the cassowaries because... well, I know it's not exactly needed for them but I think they could do with perhaps an indoor area in the middle of their exhibit. With viewing windows - giving the visitors a view of their indoor dens. (I'm actually thinking it should be a little bit like the house they have for them at Edinburgh Zoo. Not the same obviously, but still YKWIM). And of course, if the female Cassowary does become pregnant at any point the windows will have to be SEALED OFF to the public. And yes, I would hope for them both to breed at the zoo.

Now, I'm sure you can all agree with me when I say this. But as much as I'd love to see these plans come into life, I can't really imagine they would actually do this. I mean, I love cassowaries. I know they're large, fast, dangerous, extremely aggressive, and they've been known to seriously injure humans with their deadly claws, but they are my no.1 favourite species of bird. And as much as I hate to admit it, I don't think DZG would be looking to bring this species back to their collection at all, considering how difficult they are to keep especially since they have been known to attack keepers in other zoos over the years.

But, even though it may probably never happen at all, I'd still love to know what you guys would think of this idea of mine. :)

7. AdrianW1963

I know they had Vultures in the early days but unsure as to which species also quite a few different owls over the years.

Anybody remeber what species were in the Tecton Tropical House.

The Cassowary were Southern/Double Wattled

8. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And somewhere in the DZG gallery there is also a photo of some pelicans that was taken sometime before 1950. I do not know exactly what species of pelican it is, but they look like they could be Great White Pelicans (Again, I'm not sure so I'm willing to be proved wrong)

9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have a very vague memory of one or more toucans. My 1973 guide book says 'contains mainly parrots and closely related birds'.

10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Dudley Zoo guide for 1938, lists the following vultures:

griffon vulture
    black vulture
    turkey vulture

And the following owls:

barn owl
    tawny owl
    Malayan fish owl
    American eagle owl
    milky eagle owl (Verreaux's eagle owl)
    vermiculated eagle owl
    European eagle owl

Interestingly, the guide also mentions an aviary for British birds including starlings, greenfinches, chaffinches, bramblings, goldfinches, linnets, yellow hammers, blackbirds, thrushes and robins.

11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've got an article in the Avicultural Magazine from maybe the late 1940s, about the Dudley bird collection. I'll see if I can find it!

12. AdrianW1963

I was told that the British Bird collection was held in the tecton building that eventually was the tropical house it only last a couple of years and was moved but were too I don't know.

13. AdrianW1963

that would be a great help thank you