Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Angel, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Observations from a visit today -
    • Black lemur/spider monkey enclosure has no signage and looked empty. Not sure where either species currently is.
    • Sulawesi macaques are currently in the former gelada enclosure, and by the chairlift as well!
    • No work on any of the future projects in evidence.
    • Queen Mary aviary is in the process of being rebuilt.
    • Grey kangaroo is no longer signed and wasn't visible, I'm fearing the worst.
    • Titis and Goeldi's are signed in the sloth enclosure, only saw a pair of titis though.
    Apart from those observations I had a fantastic, if hectic, visit. Arctic foxes were a joy to watch, the binturong was out, and the zoo was busier than expected for a dull March Saturday. Only negative was no draught lagers available in the Queen Mary Restaurant.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2020
    cliffxdavis, TNT, pipaluk and 2 others like this.
  2. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You sure there was nothing inside the ex-squirrel enclosure by the chimps today? Wonder what's happened to that pair of Spider monkeys (if they've either been returned to Birmingham WCP or gone elsewhere). Hope they can move the Black lemurs back into that enclosure.

I did see a post on DZ's Facebook page this morning regarding that the aviary by the Queen Mary restaurant has been recently demolished, and that the aviary opposite Reggie the sloth's enclosure will be going soon to make way for a new picnic area. The post also mentioned that the Puna ibis would be moved to the aviary by the sea lions where they'll be joined by ringed teals.

I have no idea what will happen to the other bird species in that row of aviaries but I do hope the zoo aren't going to just phase them out or start removing dozens of species....

Just checked the zoo's website regarding the Kangaroo and its profile page has been completely removed from the Mammals section. I too am fearing for the worst but I do hope the zoo will mention via social media about what has happened.... also I hope they're not going to stop keeping Kangaroo if their remaining male has passed away.

3. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've also just read on the zoo's facebook that the Queen Mary aviary, which dates from the 1950s, has been demolished to make way for a brand new aviary for the zoo's Puna ibis and ringed teals.

I think it's great the ibis are getting a new aviary, however I don't understand why their former aviary is being demolished as it was one of the zoo's better aviaries and I can't imagine the new one will be much bigger.

I really think the new picnic area and kiosk that will be built in its place will end up spoiling the 'feel' of that particularly pleasant part of the zoo :(

Animallover1998 likes this.
  4. Animallover1998

That's what I'm thinking as well.... I actually quite like that part of the zoo myself with the rows of aviaries heading towards the otters, macaws, lemur wood and Asiatic lion enclosure. This zoo was doing really great last year in terms with visitor numbers, I hope it doesn't start to go downhill soon. :(

5. Benosaurus

Losing one aviary for a small picnic area and kiosk won't affect visitor numbers.

6. Animallover1998

Okay, you are correct, but I still think it'll spoil the feel of that nice particular area in the zoo.

I have a feeling most of the bird species in there will probably have to move to other collections since there's not an awful lot of aviaries in DZ when you come to think about it....

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure removing animal enclosures to replace them with non-animal 'visitor attractions /facilities' is ever a good thing! Just look at London or Marwell for a start and look where this has led for the zoos - rapidly downwards!

8. Benosaurus

The scale of what has happened at those two places is rather different to Dudley's losing one aviary, but I know what you mean, hopefully it is a one off. In the recent past, the trend was that Dudley always replaced something with something better.

It is a peculiar and out of character move by DZC. The floorspace of the old ibis aviary will probably allow for three maybe four picnic benches; just around the corner in front of the Queen Mary canteen are around 15 picnic benches (not including numerous regular benches) and the entire acre or so of castle courtyard serves as an enormous picnic lawn.

On top of that, surely it was easier to leave the old aviary as is...

Just a wild thought, but this new picnic area may only be a temporary thing and the actual reason for the aviary being demolished is to create access for something new and hopefully better. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2020
    zooboy, Animallover1998 and pipaluk like this.
  9. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Black Lemurs were in this enclosure last Sunday (at least 2.1). The spider monkeys are back at Birmingham WCP: I saw them in their new enclosure yesterday.

Brum, TNT, Maguari and 4 others like this.
  10. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is it just the one aviary or the complete block of aviaries as the latter would make more sense than just the one.
    Also if they remove all the aviaries then the enclosure to the rear (Kangaroo exhibit) could be enlarged by bringing it to the main path making a rather nice sized enclosure.
    As for lack of aviaries around Dudley Zoo I do agree as a bird lover I think the collection as shall we say lacked in ambition of late without getting into a argument about it.
    Can't understand why the courtyard in the castle doesn't have a picnic area with benches and chairs it used to years ago.

Animallover1998 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Animallover1998

I don't know if we can call that enclosure to the rear a Kangaroo exhibit anymore... Judging by Brum's comment and by looking at the removal of their page from the zoo's website, I think we can say DZ's last Western grey kangaroo has recently died of age. :(

12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not seen this mentioned anywhere and it's not on zootierliste, but there are now black-headed weavers (Ploceus melanocephalus) in the aviary next to the orang house.

Mo Hassan likes this.
  13. Animallover1998

I've recently messaged the zoo to ask about Harold, the lone WG kangaroo and I've been told he passed away at the start of this year meaning there are no Kangaroos at DZ at the moment.

At least they still have the wallabies though, on a positive side note. :)

Last edited: 9 Mar 2020
    Benosaurus likes this.
  14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think there is a 'no' missing in there somewhere...

Brum likes this.
  15. Animallover1998

Fixed it now... Thanks for the reminder! ;)

Pertinax likes this.
  16. Animallover1998

The non-breeding group of Sulawesi crested macaques (The ones that were kept in the Tecton enclosure with the Howler monkeys) have been re-located to the enclosure that used to hold the bachelor group of Geladas (by the Spider monkeys).

While I am happy to see these three macaques out of that Tecton enclosure at last, I am a bit disappointed that they couldn't have gone for a different species..... like maybe another type of macaque or a smaller species of baboon.

17. Benosaurus

1.2 Barbary sheep have been born.

18. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Dudley have built an enclosure and house for the African spurred tortoises (that used to live where the sloth exhibit is now). It is located opposite the spider monkeys on the way up the hill.

Another example of Dudley making quiet but solid steps forward :)

TNT, Bubalus, Benosaurus and 2 others like this.
  19. Benosaurus

Have just noticed the planning docs for the new orang enclosure have been uploaded to the council's website. It looks like they are now going with Monkey World style fencing rather than a mesh covered type enclosure, but thankfully the new area will still encompass the entirety of the current hunting dog exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you have a link as I have tried to access through the council pages and it states no results found