Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Angel, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

OK then (everyone else welcome to answer too :))… if Sprout (9y/o female Bornean orang, Jorong x Jazz) were to leave Dudley within the next year, where are the most likely places she would go?

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could be anywhere in Europe nowadays I think. I sometimes find it rather disappointing when an Ape/animal you have known or followed since it was born suddenly disappears from this country and joins a European group now that the populations are managed at a European level. I understand why of course, and the plus side is new ones arrive here from European zoos just as frequently, but still...

Last edited: 28 Apr 2020
    ShonenJake13 likes this.
  3. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To be honest, from what I’ve heard Jaz is very hard to mix with any other orangs (she’s very food dominant)..so I think either they’ll keep Sprout on as a future breeding female, or they may do a full switch and send both ladies away in return for new ones.

AdrianW1963 likes this.
  4. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As @ShonenJake13 says, it's highly likely she'll remain at Dudley. Considering how genetically important 'Jaz' is to the breeding programme (only living relatives outside of Dudley being at Blackpool which don't appear to be having much breeding success), I am surprised they have not reintroduced her with 'Jorong' to breed again.

5. Benosaurus

Could it be due to the current space constraints of the enclosure not allowing for another individual to be born?

I thought they'd want Sprout to leave Dudley at some point so she can eventually be paired with a male at another collection (the only males at Dudley being non-breeder Benji and her father Jorong*), because she herself must be genetically important due to being Jaz's daughter. However, before then I guess they would prefer for Sprout to watch her mother raise a potential younger sibling first.

*(maybe Jorong could be swapped for another male?)

Last edited: 29 Apr 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Pertinax

The shots of the Orangutans must be their first pair Borno & Suma( or Joe & Flora as they were later known). In the first shot both can be seen briefly, then the one drinking in the moat and climbing looks like the male 'Joe' who is Sprout's grandfather.( Jaz = Joe x Azimat).

Benosaurus likes this.
  7. Pertinax

Afaik 'Jaz' is also the only living/purebred offspring of Bornean male 'Joe' who used to be at Dudley. I fear Blackpool's will not breed until they exchange Ramon for another male.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Benosaurus

Superb interview.

I'm absolutely gutted for them. After all the progress they've made in recent years, and after seeing their highest visitor numbers for over 30 years last year, this year would have been the most important for them yet. The bears would have arrived and be settling into their new enclosure by now, the zoo would be full of visitors enjoying the sunny bank holiday weekend and later in the year work would be starting on the new orang enclosure; something which they have waited so long for and worked so hard towards being able to get into a position to do. But all that is not to be for a while now :(.

The timing of the pandemic during the peak season and not being able to furlough staff has been crushing for zoos. It will take longer than originally planned, but the future's still bright for DZC, that tough old zoo. In the meantime they, like all things right now, must weather the storm and eventually the light will come.

Some extracts from the article:

Work had been due to begin this winter on an £800,000 new orang-utan enclosure, but that is likely to be postponed.

Plans to extend the giraffe and tiger enclosures are also likely to be delayed, while the setback could also throw doubt on plans to reintroduce brown bears for the first time in 40 years.

The latter is particularly problematic for the zoo, as it has already committed to taking in a pair of orphaned rescue bears from Slovakia.

sooty mangabey and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

What you have described is very apt. It all applies to all/most zoos and not just Dudley. The figures might differ, but many plans and planned species arrivals are now on-hold or cancelled. In the absence of help from Government, we will all come out of this with huge borrowings; but this is the price we pay for survival in an economy which does not value its zoos as highly as other countries do. In all honesty we should not really be surprised by this lack of support. If we emerge into a world where there is less competition and where international travel and recreation is stifled; then a significant 'bounce-back' could happen. This is what we all hope for.

sooty mangabey and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to Dudley's FB page, they are opening at 10am on Monday with visitor numbers capped at 300 per day to start with. More information available tomorrow.

Ned and Benosaurus like this.
  12. Benosaurus

They have already produced a very informative page on their website detailing the measures & restrictions they have put in place, as well as how to book tickets and some FAQs;

We will be opening again soon! – Dudley Zoo and Castle

They have also created a revised map;

https://www.dudleyzoo.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Covid-19-Map-A.pdf

Interestingly they are using the old Tecton turnstiles as the entrance and the gate by the chimp house as the exit.

Due to zoos only being allowed to have a restricted number of visitors on site at any one time for the foreseeable future, during what would normally be their busiest time of year, all zoos will still be heavily reliant on kind donations from the public;

COVID-19 Virus Animal Care Fund

13. Benosaurus

14. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo have announced the arrival of a new species to their collection; a female Asian palm civet named Connie.

She arrived to the collection from Askham Bryan Wildlife and Conservation Park just before lockdown and has since been introduced to Ellie and Elliot the Binturongs who she now shares the enclosure with.

More details here: Introducing Connie! – Dudley Zoo and Castle

15. zoomart

zoomart Member

Visited the zoo yesterday for the first time in many years and I was pleasantly surprised with DZG's attempt to ensure effective compliance with Covid regulations and social distancing. I booked my ticket in advance for a designated entry time and entry to the zoo was through the old Tecton entrance. To even be allowed in to the car park we had to confirm that we had booked tickets in advance, we were also asked again before queuing for entrance.

The one way system within the zoo was incredibly effective and the route was clearly signposted with yellow arrows spray painted every couple of metres on the pathways. Exhibits had stickers on the glass asking guests not to touch the glass surfaces and to keep safe. At the popular exhibits such as the tiger enclosure, there were boxes spray painted on to the path by the viewing platform and guests were asked to queue until a box became free for them to view from. This ensured that guests remained the recommended distance apart. There was also a queue to view the indoor section of the Orang Utan enclosure. Staff were on hand throughout the zoo to answer any questions, all staff were wearing themed masks which was a nice touch. 'Sanitation Stations' including alcohol rub and hand washing facilities were plentiful around the zoo and close by to popular enclosures. I've become increasingly anxious about visiting the supermarket or petrol forecourt, but I have to admit that I felt completely safe within the zoo grounds.

As instructed by central government, the indoor attractions such as Reptile World and the Chimpanzee House remained closed and this was clearly highlighted on the website when booking the tickets and also on the 'Covid-secure Zoo' map which was handed out at the entrance.

It's a shame that all of the food outlets and gift shop remained closed as I'm confident they would have brought in some much needed revenue, but it did look like they were making preparations to open these in the very near future. Most guests had brought a picnic with them to eat within the castle courtyard. Toilets were managed my a member of staff and there was a 'one in one' out policy, which worked well seeing as the zoo was only at 30% capacity or less, but if they do increase the visitor numbers gradually over the coming weeks then this policy may become more problematic.

Being my first visit in a number of years, I was quite impressed with some of the upgrades to enclosures within the zoo. I hadn't visited in a number of years because during my last visit the place was looking very run down and felt 'tired'. I was impressed with the quality of the Binturong/Civet enclosure and it was also nice to see the Giant Anteaters which have been added since my last visit. I also enjoyed the Ibis and Teal Duck enclosure opposite the Sea Lions. I really would recommend a visit to see how the zoo is adjusting (quite successfully) to these unprecedented times.

16. Benosaurus

Fantastic report @zoomart and welcome to zoochat. I've read nothing but high praise on social media from people who have visited since reopening about how effective and reassuring all the measures that the zoo have put in place have been.

Did you see the civet or do you know if it is on-show yet?

bintarong likes this.
  17. zoomart

zoomart Member

Thanks @Benosaurus! I've lurked in the background on this site for well over ten years, but felt compelled to write something given how different yesterday's experience was to a normal pre-Covid zoo visit.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the civet but both of the Binturong were incredibly active on the multiple occasions that I passed their enclosure. They were both constantly in and out of their indoor house and literally climbing the walls of their outside enclosure too!

18. Benosaurus

Jungle Man and zoomart like this.
  19. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Birth of Pygmy marmoset twins:

Joy as baby marmosets born at Dudley Zoo

The baby is one of twins born to mum, Pam and dad, Hendrix at the Castle Hill attraction last week and the pair are doing well.

“We always do really well with the breeding of pygmy marmosets, so it’s great to welcome a further two to the group, with our number currently at 17.”

20. Jaydvk

Jaydvk New Member

Visiting on Monday for the first time in around 7 years. Would anybody be kind enough to give a brief summary of some new additions/departures in that time? Cheers. Also, I take it Castle Creatures is shut for the time being? A friend told me it’s a cool little section and I’d quite like to have a look but i assume I won’t be able to on this visit.