Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Angel, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Castle Creatures, the reptile house, lemur walk-through, lorikeets and indoor chimp viewing are all shut.

Jaydvk likes this.
  2. Ned

The snow leopards have an extended enclosure, sulcata tortoises have a new enclosure on the left just past the flamingos, not sure if the owl aviaries would have been there on your last visit, binturong / palm civet have joined the collection, arctic fox are to be found in Inca's old enclosure, there is a new titi / sloth enclosure near the Barbary sheep and a large macaw aviary in place of the row of parrot cages that used to exist.
    there is a one-way system, if you want to go back to visit anything make sure you do so when the route rejoins the one-way circuit between the owls and snow leopards. Once you head down to the chimps there is no return.

Maguari, Brum, Antoine and 2 others like this.
  3. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has announced that their new aviary for Puna ibis and ringed teals is officially open. It was built on the site of the now demolished 1950s Queen Mary aviary.

[​IMG]
    Dudley Zoo

TNT, Antoine, bintarong and 3 others like this.
  4. bintarong

bintarong Well-Known Member

That looks amazing compared to the previous aviary ! Where have the Agoutis gone then?

5. Benosaurus

The agoutis are in the new sloth and monkey enclosure.

[​IMG]

bintarong and zoosafari123 like this.
  6. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Been to Dudley zoo today and must say WELL DONE TO ALL at the zoo a great one way system manned by many well mannered and very well informed staff.
    This one way system at the zoo could actually work when everything opens as most f the indoor exhibits have 2 doors one for entrance and one for exit.
    Only thing is couldn't they open the exit gate by the turn styles as those who have gone to the zoo by public transport have a long way to walk from the current exit by the chimps.

zoomart, Maguari and Benosaurus like this.
  7. zoomart

zoomart Member

I was quite impressed with this when I managed to see it in the first week of re-opening. I think it'll look even better when the planting has had time to become more established.

I also agree with @AdrianW1963 that the one way system could work well in the long run even when social distancing measures are potentially removed completely.

8. AdrianW1963

My visit to the zoo review 26/06/2020 first visit for 2 years and after lock-down a few of the exhibits closed due to restrictions from the government.

First I must say I have already passed comment on the way the zoo as implemented a one-way system so shall just bypass this.

Here we go then the Flamingo exhibit was a little tidier with the waterfall area now cleaned out with that large shrub now removed and do wonder how many Caribbean Flamingo’s they have left as couldn’t see more than 3 with the Chilean flamingo’s.

The new African spurred tortoise exhibit well-built but I think is a little small for the species.

Onto the Snow leopard exhibit didn’t it cross the managements mind that a walk way that only as one way on to it would be a little dangerous why couldn’t they have put a second set of steps at the end of the walkway thus making it easier for everyone to use or was this to simple.

The area by the back of the Ballroom once had Cameroon sheep in looked shall we say a little untidy this is an area I think could be used for many species and should be used and not let go in to the rough area it is today.

Now for my most disappointing area of the zoo the Waterfowl exhibit or shall we say the out of control area as you can hardly see any water these days.

Last time this was brought up on here someone said it was for wildlife that they didn’t cut back anything and then 2 weeks later they removed 1 over hanging branch and declared they had cleaned the display up.

They need to remove 90% of the plantation and let the species breathe again either this or make another waterfowl exhibit somewhere else.

Now the Discovery centre now starting to look it’s age and very untidy I know it’s listed but surely a bit of paint would make it more attractive front and back.

The reindeer exhibit looks great with the extension and the indoor viewing area which I think is a great addition for the collection.

I love the Barbary sheep exhibit it’s been the same for many years and would say please do something so as we can use the old walk way around the back of the exhibit or why not extended at the rear of the exhibit.

Red panda exhibit what an amazing exhibit I know you have to really search for the Panda’s when they are sleeping in the tree’s but I find this an added attraction and many times I have stood there looking only to find many different species of wild birds in the area.

The fair ground looked more like an area children could use and enjoy more than they could before and think its there to add income for the zoo more so than to look beautiful to the eye.

The shop was open which was a little surprise but love the one-way system inside and well done to the staff for this.

Just wondering how many White lipped peccaries they now keep as could only see 2 in the exhibit?

Has the Scops Owl left the collection or is it off show?

What’s the point of having such a big outdoor area for the chimps this could be halved and used for another species?

Are they going to get more Guanaco as they still have just the one?

When will the extension for the tigers start?

When will they start the Bear ravine extension and create new dens for the Bears?

When will they decide to do something with the area below the lemur walkthrough as this could make a great exhibit for a mountain or hill species?

overall I think the collection is moving forward but slowly and have noticed they seem to concentrate on new exhibits and allow the older ones to look a little tired shall we say.

9. Ned

They certainly have more than two peccary, I photographed five together last week and I'd say there were probably more than that.

AdrianW1963 likes this.
  10. AdrianW1963

Thank you Ned that's why I asked couldn't see them but knew they had more 2 years ago I think there were 7 on my last visit.

Ned likes this.
  11. Benosaurus

I don't think there's room to put a second set of steps there and don't know why you'd go as far as to call it "a little dangerous" when it really isn't at all. They can't have steps going down onto the main path as there needs to be room for zoo vehicles to get past.

I agree, the area has lots of potential. They usually move the Cameroon sheep there for part of the year to keep the foliage down. Personally, I think the space should be merged with the Barbary sheep enclosure.

I agree, it should definitely be the next listed Tecton to be renovated. This will require lots of lengthy planning permission of course, even just to paint it.

I've read other people say this before, but every time I fervently disagree. The chimp outdoor area as it stands is the 3rd or 4th best chimp outdoor area in the UK and completely future-proof. I'd rather have an outdoor area that goes above and beyond what we currently perceive is adequate for the animal's needs than one that is just adequate or even possibly substandard. The area also stands out as being hugely impressive to visitors. Why would a zoo want to decrease the upper level of the standard of their highest quality exhibits?

On top of that, the chimps do use all the space. I've seen them foraging up the far end of the enclosure on multiple occasions and have witnessed them doing patrols of the entire perimeter. I believe larger enclosures for chimps provide vastly greater welfare to them.

Probably not, as the new bear enclosure will be going where the Guanaco currently lives.

As I've said multiple times they are still awaiting planning permission for the tiger project. The bear project was supposed to be complete by now but the pandemic and subsequent lockdown put a stop to that. Both projects may now be delayed by at least a year or two thanks to zoos being forced to close and not being able to furlough staff, meaning they, like many zoos, have had to use cash reserves that otherwise would have been used on animal projects in order to survive.

Probably not for a very long time as they are rightly focusing on improving/replacing all the existing exhibits in the zoo first.

Well, all the new exhibits you see have actually replaced tired older exhibits.

BeakerUK likes this.
  12. zoomart

zoomart Member

I'd echo what Ned said. I also saw at least 5 peccaries on my most recent visit.

I'd also agree with what you said about the waterfowl exhibit. You can barely see the water. I managed to spot a single Hawaiian Goose in the exhibit, but nothing beyond that.

Glad the shop is back open and is able to bring in much needed additional revenue.

13. AdrianW1963

OK I'll take your comments on board but still think a second set of steps is required at the snow leopard exhibit.
    I wasn't on about replacing the older exhibits at this time I was saying they need tidying up especially the waterfowl exhibit.

Jaydvk likes this.
  14. Jaydvk

Jaydvk New Member

I’ve got to say after my visit yesterday for the first time in a good few years I was very very impressed. Lots of general improvements and extension to enclosures I was constantly remarking how much better it was looking these days haha. The only things that were nowhere to be seen at the time I was there were the chimps, the gibbons and the red panda. Couldn’t find the civet either. Other than that it was great.

Was good to see the tortoise, arctic foxes, binturong, sloth and anteater which were all new since my last visit. Was also my first time seeing the Orangutan indoor area next to the wild dogs. By the time I’d got round there there was an older gentleman that seemed to almost be having a chat with the orangutan and from what I can gather visits him weekly. He may be someone on here for all I know but it was great to see haha. As well as these I’m fairly sure the last time I was at the zoo neither the macaques or the baboons were on the hill so this was also cool to see. I do have one question however, is there a reason there’s 3 separate wallaby areas? There’s the one opposite the tapir (I think), the one next to the anteater and obviously the walkthrough too. Overall it was quite great seeing how the zoos come on though and I’ll definitely need to return soon :)

15. Benosaurus

The enclosure opposite the tapir is for Parma Wallabies.
    The ones in the enclosure next to the anteaters are a couple of Bennett's wallaby and were put there to keep the lone elderly kangaroo company. However I believe the kangaroo died recently so they may move back to the Bennett's wallaby walkthrough soon, or perhaps they may stay there for now to keep the foliage down until the zoo decides what to do with the enclosure again.

Glad you enjoyed your visit after so many years.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2020
  16. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dudley Zoo have announced via social media the arrival of two Six-banded armadillos (both female) named Becca and Lana.

The 11-month old sisters arrived from Bristol zoo earlier in the week and are now settling into the indoor den of the Howler monkeys (tecton enclosure) where they have now formed a brand new mixed exhibit.

17. Benosaurus

Devastating news... Jorong has passed away.

The 25-year-old breeding male Bornean orangutan died earlier today in the presence of the zoo vets and his keepers while undergoing treatment for a long-term illness. A post mortem will be carried out in due course.

Death of Jorong – Dudley Zoo and Castle

[​IMG]

Animallover1998 and Jungle Man like this.
  18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

What sad news.

19. AdrianW1963

Sad news RIP Jorong

20. zoomart

zoomart Member

Such an iconic feature of Dudley Zoo. A real shame.