Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Angel, 1 Jan 2020.

1. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

2. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The next bit of news isn't about the zoo or the animals and won't mean much to non-Dudley regulars but is definitely still worth posting about in my opinion...

Today the zoo announced that their biggest and longest supporter, a lady called Muriel Thatcher, sadly passed away earlier this year at the age of 93.

Muriel will be particularly well-known to zoo members as she frequently appeared in Dudley's ZooNews magazine and news stories on the zoo's website. She officially opened the zoo's refurbished penguin enclosure, was one of the first passengers on the zoo's restored vintage chairlift, and was often invited by the zoo to celebrate special events such as the official opening of the zoo's new offices.

The reason for all this is that Muriel first visited Dudley zoo on their opening day - 6th May 1937, and from then on became a regular visitor ever since; visiting at least twice a month... for over 80 years! In that time she adopted over 20 zoo animals and clocked up well over 2000 visits. On each visit she would travel to the zoo via two buses on a 3-hour round-trip.

She was a familiar face on site and much-loved by all the zoo's staff. In 2014 she was given life membership to the zoo and was given her own commemorative chair in the lemur walkthrough so she'd have somewhere to rest at the top of the site.

One of her favourite animals were the zoo's Bornean orangutans and a new bench with a plaque dedicated to her memory now sits beside the orang house.

I once saw Muriel on a visit to the zoo myself, maybe five or so years ago and I instantly recognised her. She was by herself and in her late eighties at that point, walking from the orang house towards the peccaries, still keen to see the animals. I thought then that she is someone we can all admire and relate to, someone with an absolute lifelong passion for zoos and animals.

Muriel, we take our hats off to you. Rest in peace.

In memory of Muriel – Dudley Zoo and Castle

Last edited: 8 Sep 2020
    Zia, Devi, Jungle Man and 12 others like this.
  3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Obviously a lady of great taste :)

4. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

RIP Muriel will miss you and your many tales of the animals in the past.

5. Benosaurus

6. Benosaurus

Jungle Man and bintarong like this.
  7. AdrianW1963

Dudley castle back on the at risk list

bintarong likes this.
  8. Benosaurus

The zoo has confirmed that following government guidance they will sadly have to close to visitors from Thursday (Nov 5) and that they face a difficult winter after being unable to access the government’s £100m Zoo Animals Fund.

Despite being closed, the public can continue to support the zoo by donating online via the zoo's Justgiving page by CLICKING HERE

or alternatively, via text:

To donate £1, text DZC19 to 70201
    To donate £3, text DZC19 to 70331
    To donate £5, text DZC19 to 70970
    To donate £10, text DZC19 to 70191

Or by purchasing a 12 month animal adoption package; CLICK HERE for more details.

Anyone who has pre-booked tickets for November can transfer the visiting date by contacting the zoo to rearrange once they reopen again. Any other enquiries should be forwarded to [email protected]

November lockdown closure – Dudley Zoo and Castle

bintarong likes this.
  9. Benosaurus

A public consultation has been launched by Dudley Council to look into ways of improving the centre of Dudley. Three projects are being considered to regenerate the Castle Hill area but the Council is first seeking the thoughts of residents by asking them to take part in a questionnaire.

One of these projects is to develop Dudley Zoo & Castle. Specifically, to redevelop four Tecton buildings at the Zoo for other uses.

The Tectons being considered are the Discovery Centre, Elephant House, Queen Mary Ballroom and the Tropical Bird House.

The proposals would see:

1.) The Discovery Centre turned into a catering facility.
    2.) Elephant House turned into an enclosure for primates.
    3.) Queen Mary Ballroom's function as a restaurant extended to have an outside dining area.
    4.) Turning the Tropical Bird House into an education facility.

Public consultation launches in a bid to improve central part of Dudley | Express & Star (expressandstar.com)

10. Benosaurus

The zoo will reopen on Wednesday 2nd December and they are offering 25% discount on all full-priced adult and child tickets throughout December.

All indoor areas within the zoo remain closed apart from the Safari Shop.

All visits must be pre-booked online HERE

(Members and pass-holders should call 01384 215313 to book in as before)

December discounts – Dudley Zoo and Castle

I'm definitely going to try to make another visit before the end of the year.

11. Benosaurus

12. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I also just noticed it in the video..... I presume they must be working on an exhibit for a new species (to replace the Western grey kangaroo). Whatever it is I'm sure they'll announce it by around New year's eve. :)

13. AdrianW1963

Are the aviaries still in the corner or have they been removed on the quiet, Dudley zoo is looking a little thin on birds these days.

14. Benosaurus

Can't tell if the small aviaries in the corner are still there as the new structure is in the way, however I don't know why they wouldn't be. The large aviaries further to the right can be seen in the video.

Really? What birds have left the collection recently?

All of these birds were added to the collection in 2019:

- Four northern hawk owls.
    - Two West Indian whistling ducks.
    - Six white-faced whistling ducks.
    - Nine eiders.
    - A male lilac-breasted roller.
    - A male and female Bali Mynah.
    - Black-headed weaver birds.
    - An Asian brown wood owl.*
    - A Eurasian eagle owl.*
    - A Steppe eagle. *

* (part of the birds of prey display)

15. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What great additions - I've not been able to see the bird display on any of my visits, I assume it's done up "in the castle"?

16. Benosaurus

Yes, weather permitting and outside of the 'off-season', they do one daily at 12pm in the castle courtyard (a great setting for it) and it's always very good.

Last year, the zoo achieved the Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme (VAQAS) award by tourism regulatory body 'Visit England' following a secret visit by an inspector, whose report included a special mention for one of the bird keepers for their “first class” birds of prey presentation.

Flying high! – Dudley Zoo and Castle

Sadly, due to current affairs they are not doing the display at the moment.

bintarong and TNT like this.
  17. AdrianW1963

You say Eiders were added last year what happened to the previous ones, Bali Starling what happened to the previous pair, White faced ducks what happened to the previous pair.
    Do they still have the Meller's ducks, Elliott's pheasants, Bear's pochards and as the Lesser white fronted goose & Black swan returned this year as I have not seen any mention of them anywhere.

18. AdrianW1963

Are any of these still in the collection these days

Chestnut breasted teal
    Fulvous whistling duck
    Laysan duck
    Marbled teal
    Red crested pochard
    Rosy billed pochard
    Temmnick’s tragopan
    Raven
    Ferruginous Buzzard*
    Barn owl*
    American Kestrel*
    Blue crane
    Sacred Ibis
    Bernier teal
    Baikal teal
    Red crested Turaco
    Toco toucan
    Speckled Pigeon
    Pink Pigeon

* denotes display birds now at Cotswold Birds Of Prey Display's

19. GiraffeJack10

GiraffeJack10 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that Dudley no longer hold toco toucan but I went on a zookeeper for a day experience earlier in the year and the bird keeper I met spoke about the toucan and they were a very popular species but toucan left the collection shortly after I first visited the zoo a few years ago now. Hopefully a toucan species could make a return in the future. As for the others birds I'm not entirely sure and I don't think the website is 100% accurate but I don't think sacred ibis are kept there anymore but I could be wrong. I was fortunate to go into the old elephant house where some birds of prey are kept and there were a few species but I only met what a believe was a Eurasian eagle-owl but I definitely heard the red-legged seriema. I think that red crested turaco are kept in one of the aviaries near the barbary sheep but I could be wrong. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2020
    AdrianW1963 and bintarong like this.
  20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jill the raven left the collection in November 2017; she returned to Welsh Mountain Zoo to be paired with a male. On my last visit (October 2019) they had definitely got red crested pochard in the waterfowl enclosure opposite the Discovery Centre.

bintarong and Benosaurus like this.