Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 14 Jan 2015.

1. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

While it may well have been suggested some time ago that Dudley did plan to 'replace' Inca when she eventually passes away, I would assume if brown bears arrive that these are in fact the animals that will replace her. Unless there are any still alive in private hands, that would likely be the end of Asiatic black bears in the UK for quite some time.

To add to a few other comments in the gallery, I would certainly expect the footprint of the new enclosure to be substantially larger than the immediate construction site around the refurbishment; given recent low-impact structures (such as the gelada enclosure), I would expect Dudley to utilise the adjacent paddock with electrified deer fencing or similar when the enclosure is complete - it's just this wouldn't be necessary or logical while work is done on the Tecton structure.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There is a single geriatric male held at Heythrop Zoo; I believe he is slightly younger than Inca however, so may well outlast her.

4. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes, good old "Dennis" !

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Coming soon - titi monkeys

DZG are making final preparations for the arrival of 2 male titi monkeys from Sweden later this month. The monkeys are translocating from Skansen Aquarium, in Stockholm, as part of an international conservation programme and will be living in Monkey Tails.

Titi monkeys coming soon! | Dudley Zoological Gardens

6. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Went for a quick visit today. Had fun getting Sprout to chase me.

I never noticed before, but there is another house in the tapir/capybara enclosure. Don't know if it's a new build, just easier to see in winter or if I'd been very unobservant.

Having a look at the bank behind the paddock near the bear ravine, I don't know how practical it would be to expand the enclosure in that direction. It is very steep. It's looking good though, can't wait to see it open.

I also finally saw for myself penguins using their extension.
    ---
    Continuing on from the conversation in the gallery, the fun fair has really seen better days. I wonder how much money it makes? I'd get rid of it and add a big new playground, with better access for Baboons on the Bank.

Maybe where the caterpillar rollercoaster is you could have small enclosure, or perhaps a playground geared towards slightly older children.

The existing playground could then be scrapped, and the camels could have a bit more room.

7. Angel

8. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

The wooden house in the Tapir/Capybara enclosure as been there for quite a few years now and I have seen both Tapir use it on a regular basis,

What ever happened to the Azure Winged Magpie that use to be in the aviaries.

I did hear a rumour that the zoo were trying to bring in a pair of Japanese/Asian black bears but this seems to have quietened down with Brown/Grizzly bears now being the topic of discussion.

On a personnel note I have had a good think about the Bear Ravines next species and how about Moving the Tigers to this enclosure and using the Tiger enclosure for a new species of Primate or even a Maned Wolf.

9. Benosaurus

It seems that the dens will not be used by the ravines next inhabitants, but the toughened glass panel in the floor sounds interesting.

I think that restoring the steel spiked roller is totally unnecessary. Who cares if it's original; the past is where it should remain!!!

Bear names uncovered | Dudley Zoological Gardens

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If the dens are not being renovated/enlarged as new animal housing, it seems unlikely Bears, or any other large carnivores will be returning to this area. For a start they would have to build new indoor housing and that might be not be allowed planning-wise so near to this newly renovated conservation site. Also the rather low-key mention of 'an animal species' leads me to think its something else. If it was Bears I think they'd be saying so by now as well.

11. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Great photos and nice to see the names of the bears on the old den-cages.

It is quite likely that they will have no choice but to use the old spiked roller or something similar if they intend to keep bears again ? Purely out of health and safety, but I do agree something a little less brutal perhaps would be better in replacement.

12. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I imagine hot wires would be a better idea if they ever did get bears again. I wonder if the roller was part of the design all along or if they had to add it later?

I'm glad to hear it will be used, but I don't think we should get our hopes up too high.

It might be something exciting, it might not, but I don't think we should expect anything large.

I've always favoured expecting the the worst so I'll never be disappointed.

13. Angel

14. Angel

15. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just noticed, they said only Cleo lives there? I thought both females were still there, what happened to the other one?

16. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure she died before Orry did.

17. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hm, I guess I must have forgotten

18. Angel

It was mentioned in the Dudley Zoo News 2013 thread (post dated 11 August) that one of the females "had been PTS recently".

19. Benosaurus

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Give it time.. they are both still young. On average (depending on ages when put together) it's normally around two years before a newly established pair will produce a first litter, and even then it can take a couple of DNS litters before she gets the hang of rearing them