Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 14 Jan 2015.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had been thinking of a trip to Dudley to see the changes for a while and I was passing through Birmingham on a reasonably nice morning, so I thought why not? The only snags were that the forecast sunny intervals did not materialise and my satnav didn't know about the new car park and kept telling me to a do a U-turn while I trusted the road signs.
    As I said, there was a time when I felt the zoo had become drab and depressing, but I knew from the posts in this thread and its predecessors that the corner was turned some time ago and the zoo has been making real progress. I was glad to see this for myself. I did recognise most of the zoo and some parts have hardly changed. I was wondering whether all the changes were cosmetic or whether there were some genuinely new ideas too: I'm not suggesting that some cosmetic changes weren't required and indeed it is the wrong word to use for the restoration of the Tecton buildings which is both important and significant in the UK zoo scene.
    Dudley needed, and still needs, both renovation and innovation, as do the other zoos of similar age such as Whipsnade and Chester. Dudley fell behind the others years ago, so it is working to catch up. On the whole I think that the right choices have been made and the zoo has got the balance between innovation and renovation about right. Proper facilities for visitors are important too and I am sure the work upgrading the entrance will improve the visitor's experience.
    When I posted yesterday I thought the zoo only had three orangs, but I see from previous posts and photos that they have two adult males. That confirms my view that better orang accommodation is desperately required. Shorts is quite right to say that the current house is not Tecton and it is not listed, so it could be modified in any way, but I doubt if it could ever meet 21st century standards for orang husbandry: which is why I would only consider using it for other creatures. A new orang house would be expensive, but an imaginative new building plus a new species in the old one could become an attraction to draw in the public.
    I hope to post a few photos from my visit soon.

Alan

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They have two males; Benjamin (older non-breeder born in Rhenen I think)
    Jorong(younger breeder, came from Dublin. born at either Dublin or maybe Chester as his mother was ex Chester female Lola.)

& two females; Jaz (Azimat -ex Blackpool x Joe -original Dudley male.)
    Sprout.(Jorong x Jaz)

They also had Azimat for many years until she died quite recently. The older male Benjamin is really a 'surplus' male but nowhere else would want him probably.

Agree on the House. I would still prefer to see it erased though...;)

3. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The male at Dudley broke the viewing glass a number of times and at one point came through the glass and into the viewing area. I think maybe the glass is too large for the toughened glass to hold? Not really sure, but that's the reason why a new male didn't come, at least back then.

4. Pertinax

He did the same in the old(now Orangutan) House too. For many years the Chimp cage had a grille as well as glass.

The Chimpanzee House(and enclosure fence?) really needs altering/an upgrade if its ever to be suitable for male Chimps then, but they seem to just avoid the problem by keeping things as they are.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As far as I know, the females have lived together for a number of years and are a tight-knit group so I don't think it would be feasible to introduce a male. I think I'm right in saying that their ages range from around 20 to 40+ which may put some or all of them over breeding age. I think re-locating the existing chimps and bringing in a new breeding group would be difficult to do and unlikely to happen.

In terms of improvements, I really wish they'd get rid of that awful funfair. On my last visit, it did look as though there were less rides but I wish they'd bulldoze the rest of it. It's old, tacky and generally horrible and I can't believe it brings in any significant income!

Last edited: 22 Oct 2015
  6. Angel

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree, it is an eyesore and takes up a significant portion of flat land which is a novelty itself at Dudley. God knows what the geladas make of it since their house backs on to the monstrosity!
    Just think of what Dudley could house on that land, quite a large area could be given over to a decent enclosure for another drawcard species! :)

8. Pertinax

Agree with all of that and why nothing much is likely to change. The females all came from London together and have been together many years, both there and at Dudley. Probably the only way to do it would be to add a group of males that are already bonded and would then be able to counterbalance/dominate the females. They would probably murder a single one now.

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I wholeheartedly agree! Regarding your final point, I have never once seen it actually in operation, so I would indeed be surprised if it brought in any real income.

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had a mischievous thought this morning.
    If the management of Dudley had the means and the motivation, there might be an opportunity for them to take a leaf from Blackpool's book and ask if Chester would board their orangs in the old Ape House (before anything drastic happens to it) and then take a wrecking ball to the Dudley orang house and building something bigger and better on that site (perhaps using the end of the peccary paddock too). It might be the best thing that could happen for Dudley's orangs.

Alan

11. Pertinax

12. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Five reindeer have left Dudley to form a new breeding herd at The Wild Place Project, Bristol. Also, Dudley's reindeer paddock has recently been resurfaced, with 40 tonnes of gravel added to it.
    Revamp for reindeer | Dudley Zoological Gardens

13. Angel

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent news :) the second photo on that link shows just how small his species really is!

15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male Lion, Jetpur left Mulhouse this morning. He should arrive sometime tomorrow

16. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

As I have not been to the zoo for over a year or so what happened to the last male?

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

He died of Pneumonia in March 2014

18. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the quick reply.

19. Angel

20. RTB1987

RTB1987 Well-Known Member

Anyone know what happened to his siblings Morbi and Jasdan?