Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 14 Jan 2015.

1. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Mar 2015
  2. Sunbear12

3. Sunbear12

4. Sunbear12

5. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is an awful article (not Dudley's work). Strewn with spelling mistakes and glaring, laughable errors; "Dudley Zoo had not a gorilla birth in 10 years before the birth of three year old Sprout".

(I wonder if they got permission to copy images straight from the zoo's website and badly rewrite the text).

Sunbear12. While I admire your enthusiasm, Dudley does post 1-3 of these silly publicity stories on their website on a daily basis. Can we please keep this thread for the more serious news articles and discussion (ideally straight from the zoo's news webpage or a source of higher standard). :)

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Mar 2015
  6. Benosaurus

Interesting. Since my previous post the error in the article that I highlighted has now been corrected.

Now I wonder if "Kito is a rostchild’s giraffe" *cough* and "Orangutans are the only apes found in Asia" etc. will change. :D

7. Benosaurus

Yes :D :D :D

(Hi Sunbear12)

8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A small victory for the pedants! :p :D

9. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The spelling is corrected but the sentence is still wrong. Kito is a hybrid giraffe.
    Sunbear - I know that you're trying to promote your articles but it's pretty bad form to steal copy written content from elsewhere and legally you could get in a lot of trouble for doing this without permission.

10. Benosaurus

Haha! It's the scientist in me that has a penchant for minor, yet important, details.

(Although rothschild's should actually be capitalized :p)

Anyway back to DZG:

Are any DZG members on here going to the sneak peak of the new Castle Creatures exhibit before it opens for the Easter hols?

11. Sunbear12

Hello Benosaurus and other interested parties,

Firstly I wrote this article and it definitely had some mistakes that should not have gotten through the editing process. How I managed to confuse gorillas with orang-utans in both writing and editing is beyond me and I will keep a closer eye on this into the future.

Yes I did choose to go in and edit these posts when I noticed your responses but I was not able to respond here immediately as I needed to consult with the person who owns the site on an appropriate response for ZooChat.

On the issue of Rothschild’s giraffes the zoo’s press release for this implied that Kito was one and not being intimately familiar with their herd this is what I reported. You can read that press release here - A very happy Mother's Day! | Dudley Zoological Gardens

Copyright allows for fair use of copyrighted material. In this case that means that when they are appropriately credited photos can be used in relation to a press release from the zoo. They allow this as it advertises them to the readers of the site. The copy in this article is not copied from the zoo’s it is transformed into its own piece which is the nature of a press release. We put a lot of time into working out what could and couldn’t be done under fair use before we began the site.

We have been using this process for the past year and have been acknowledged by a number of major zoos who have looked at pieces on their zoo and approved of them.

In terms of what suits zoochat and what doesn’t I certainly think everyone deserves pieces of good quality and this sits below that so the quality needs to be stepped up. Each of the articles we have posted to this site so far though have drawn between 10 and 60 visitors to the site so obviously some people are enjoying them.

Thankyou,

Sunbear12

12. Devi

I think you misunderstand fair use. Fair use is using small snippets, not ripping off an entire article and all the pictures associated with it. Changing the order of sentences does not constitute original content.
    As for your 10 views from zoochat, I'd presume this is from people who are actually expecting genuine content rather than someone advertising their own poorly researched article.
    Hopefully a mod will remove this.

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I have replaced the various links to plagiarized articles with links to the original press releases by Dudley Zoo.

In future, Sunbear12, please only post articles which comprise substantially new information and are not merely re-written "fluff pieces" from the Dudley Zoo news page - although it is not your intent, constantly reposting this information is both shaky legal ground and (as the links are from your own webpage) bordering on self-promotion spam.

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

An addition to the above: this warning applies to *all* parts of Zoochat, not merely the Dudley forums. It appears that of the 174 posts you have made since January 2014, only 22 do not comprise similar self-promotion and reposts of plagiarised information.

15. Benosaurus

16. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I wonder if this work indicates Dudley sees a future for sealions/seals in this enclosure?

17. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I very much hope so! I visited Dudley for the first time last month and once renovated, I think there is no reason they shouldn't be used for sealions, despite what some others might think!

18. Devi

New Sealion Deisy

I believe this might answer your wondering. Very happy!

19. Benosaurus

Excellent news and completely unexpected - well done Dudley!

I particularly like the line; "and build up our sea lion group".

20. Devi

I've posted on the Facebook asking about a male, doubt I'll get an answer but I had to give it a go. They did say something about breeding in the past.