Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 14 Jan 2015.

1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I was wondering does anyone have the history of the Bears that have been located at Dudley please?

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New male Parma wallaby

A four year old male Parma wallaby has translocated to DZG from Cotswold Wildlife park and gardens. He has joined DZG's 4 females as part of a breeding programme.

G?day Alf! | Dudley Zoological Gardens

4. adrian1963

What happened to the last male?

5. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Been today, it's in what used to be the shop.

Other updates - Snow leopards are shut out of their outdoor enclosure. One of the tigers has smashed a glass viewing window which is boarded up with plywood, super secure I'm sure... Sealion male is separated from females. Still no sign of male lion. All chimps were outside exploring the enclosure, never seen them do that before!

7. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Do they even have a male lion?

8. adrian1963

Window in the tiger indoor enclosure was smashed over a week ago question is why hasn't it been fixed by now

No male lion now for quite some time now. makes you wonder if they will ever get one or are they hoping the females get moved on so they can utilise the enclosure for another species.

I do wonder what direction the zoo will go in now that they have a new CEO (I thin k the tiger window would have been fixed well before now under the old CEO),

I wonder what will replace the bear species when Inca passes on.

9. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was wondering if no male lion may suggest that one or both female is pregnant, but it's been over a year now so that's a no. Really surprised they haven't got one by now, maybe they are hoping to change species? I'm doubting they'd go out of lions though seeing as the enclosure is still fairly new.
    What do we know about the new ceo? I didn't realise there was one yet.

10. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Visited today, nice to see the new animals and all of the old timers up and about (well, Inca was outside at least).

The bat enclosure seemed decently sized to me, but it's right by the exit, so they are constantly having light flash into their home. They didn't seem fussed though.

The BBC were doing some sort of filming on the site, I think it might have been something period. I thought I saw people dressed rather old-fashioned outside the gate and they had an old Moris van outside the cafe.

11. adrian1963

Lamna - was the window @ the tiger indoor viewing area fixed or is it still boarded up?

12. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Still broken, but it looked secure enough to me. The glass is cracked, not smashed.

13. Benosaurus

14. Benosaurus

15. Benosaurus

16. Benosaurus

17. RTB1987

RTB1987 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this will speed up the need to move last year's cubs on to new collections. I doubt the enclosure is big enough to house 7 lynx

18. Benosaurus

A new £20,000 children's play area has been built at the base of the Gelada enclosure where the picnic tables used to be. Sadly, it does not appear to have reduced the size of the fairground.
    Ready, steady, play! | Dudley Zoological Gardens

Hopefully, this means that the old play area next to the camels will be demolished and the camels will be given more space. If so, this will be another step in the right direction.

19. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Ha, I suggested something like that on the first page of this topic, nice to see it happen. I'll be expecting a commission.

Hope they give the camels more space too, and clear away the fairground. What's the point in a slick new entrance when the first thing you see is all that old rubbish. Does anyone even use it? I don't remember ever seeing anyone on any of the rides.

Speaking of the camels, they are halter trained, domestic camels right? Could they be let out on the Rhea paddock? It would be a sinful geographic mix but they'd have more room and some proper grazing, assuming they could get along with the rhea, a goat and a geriatric guanaco.

20. Benosaurus

I remembered you suggesting it as soon as I saw the news article. I know some of the keepers are regular visitors to zoochat, so maybe your idea got the ball rolling ;)

I really like your idea about the camels. It would be great to see them in all that space, which is literally across the path from them, until their current enclosure is extended. However, I hope that the ravine is eventually turned into something spectacular for a brand new species.

Is it bad that I'm starting to miss the Dudley Zoo from my childhood? I guess I'm becoming old and sentimental. But I suppose progress is progress.

Btw has anyone heard from 'Angel'. They haven't been on here for a while now. Hope they're alright.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2015