Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Asiaticlion2015, 28 Dec 2015.

1. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They haven't announced anything, but I think the zoo has a new logo and, well, ... see what you think :(
    Dudley Zoological Gardens (top left)

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Looks a bit like the old logo from the late 80s early 90s. Nice to see things stepping back in time at Dudley, so how long before they announce the reopening of the Geochrom!

Brum likes this.
  3. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there this week and while I usually don't enjoy Lorikeet experiences the Lorikeet Lookout exhibit has been great fun. Not usually very busy with people so far and the lorikeets are hungry which means they flock to you. The keeper on duty has been both knowledgeable and friendly the two days on which we visited. As well as the flock of Australian Rainbow Lorikeets (I think they have 28) they also have a few bigger Black Capped Lorikeets that seem just as keen to feed on the nectar solution.

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Anything that might mean the end of Comic Sans being used on every DZG-published item is good in my book.

It's not a bad logo, in principle, though the orang-coloured gibbon seems to be in mid air.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I quite like the new logo, truth be told :) the website in general is a lot better and more informative than a *lot* of other UK collections!

6. Benosaurus

The zoo is continuing to raise funds towards the £100,000 snow leopard enclosure extension. The work, set to begin next year, will double the size of the existing outdoor area and include a new platform and viewing area.
    Santa helps snowies! - Dudley Zoological Gardens

7. Benosaurus

2.1 sibling frilled lizards have arrived at Dudley from Drusillas Park and are now on show in a newly revamped enclosure in the reptile house. The zoo is hoping to get more in the future to enable breeding. Frilled lizards - Dudley Zoological Gardens

8. Benosaurus

9. Benosaurus

DZG's oldest resident has sadly passed away.

Beryl, the Chilean flamingo, died at the weekend. Despite not knowing an exact dob she was thought to be in her mid-fifties as she was known to be at the zoo in the early 1970s and already an adult. Death of DZG's oldest bird - Dudley Zoological Gardens

10. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

pipaluk likes this.
  12. Benosaurus

2016 has seen over 300,000 people visit Dudley Zoo; the highest in over 30 years! This is also 10% up on last year!

Compare this to 10 years ago, in 2006, when just 165,000 people visited.

Massive well done Dudley! They must be doing something right, despite what some people are determined to think.

300,000 visitors! - Dudley Zoological Gardens

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's very good news. Personally, I think a lot of the changes over the last 10 years have really enhanced the zoo - the new car park, entrance and shop create a much better first impression than what was there previously. It's also good that bear ravine has been revamped (I hated watching it crumbling away) although I wish they'd put something a little more exciting in it than goats, guanacos and rheas. For me, the one improvement that would be top of my list would be to get rid of the awful funfair!

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The exhibit is specifically designed with non-Euclidean geometry and quantum entanglement in order to hold Schrödinger's Cat :p

Swampy and FunkyGibbon like this.
  17. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very good, do you need a plaster now? :D

TeaLovingDave and zoogiraffe like this.
  18. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can think of nothing worse than a zoo exhibit for Schrödinger's Cat; I've heard enough children in zoos pose the question 'is it dead?' as it is :p

Maguari likes this.
  19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm afraid that a Schrödinger's Cat exhibit doesn't even belong in the Fantasy Zoos forum. Firstly because an exhibit where a cat only has a 50% chance of survival must be in breach of the Zoo Licensing Act. But secondly, if someone were just to try to look at it, the probability function would collapse and so Schrödinger's cat would immediately lose its special status and become either a plain vanilla pussy cat or a moggy as dead as a Norwegian blue parrot.

KevinVar and Swampy like this.
  20. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Probably the nicest piece of news in that article is that Dudley will be updating Bart's (Geoffrey's Cat) old enclosure. Although it's 100% clear, it seems heavily implied that it will stay as a small cat exhibit. I wonder what they'll bring in (or bring back) to the collection.