Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 31 Dec 2016.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Hippos would presumably be another truly expensive one if they have underwater viewing.

I'm always a little surprised when I remember Dudley doesn't have Pygmy Hippos. It seems like a 'Dudley' species (whatever that means) and would be a very marketable addition to the zoo. Not sure where they'd put them though.

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Dudley Zoo did have common hippo from late 1970s -early 1990s.

There is some discussion on Dudley's hippos here:-

Coventry Zoo?

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A female Black Lemur has arrived from Bioparc Fuengirola in Spain

5. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

what happened to the other female black lemur was she moved on and if so where too.

6. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"Five year-old Barbara has joined us from Bioparc Fuengirola in Spain and has moved into the Small Primate House with our resident 10 year-old male, Bryan, from Lemur Wood, where keepers are hoping the pair will soon breed.

As part of the move, Bryan has been split from Florence, who has joined our other resident male, Kagani.

It is hoped Brian and Barbara will soon move back to Lemur Wood, while Florence and Kagani will relocate to another animal collection."

Hola! Barbara - Dudley Zoological Gardens

7. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

the one above the lions would be so much better being used as a cafe , with outside viewing of the lions , but glad its going to be used for something

8. Benosaurus

A recently published video about Makalu's (snow leopard) journey to Heathrow airport, on his way to Darjeeling zoo.

9. Evo

Evo Active Member

Does anyone know what happened to the Asian elephants and where the African ones came from?

10. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Benji was never with Jazz as an adult, he was the mate of Azimat who was her mum for many years, I thought he was her dad tbh, but it seems he came later. I do have vague memories of him with her as a youngster, but may well be wrong there too. Either way, he was there as a companion for Azimat and Jorong was taken as a mate for Jazz when the older pair were still happily cohabiting and it was never intended for Jazz and Benji to breed. The two pairs were in each enclosure until Sprout came, and that's when the current strange living situation started, with one lone male and later when Azimat died, two.

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The father of Jaz was Dudley's original male Joe- hence her name- Joe x Azimat =Jaz.
    If Benji had been a breeder I guess he would have bred with Azimat as she was a proven female, but nothing happened.

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Feb 2017
  12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The above isn't supposed to be a quote but it won't undo the quotes...

13. Angel

A lookout platform is set to be built opposite the wild dog enclosure in time for the summer holidays and will give visitors an uninterrupted view of the Asiatic lions – even when they’re enjoying a siesta underneath the cantilevered Tecton balcony. Lion lookout - Dudley Zoological Gardens

Personally, I think this will be a good development and look forward to seeing more of the lions once its completed.

14. Benosaurus

£25,000 seems like a lot to spend on a viewing platform. Especially when it wont improve the enclosure for the animals (the lions actually have quite a good enclosure) and isn't really needed.

However the public will like it and I'm looking forward to it. It will be nice to view the enclosure, and the Tecton above, from a completely different side.

I just hope they don't cut down any of the really large trees. They could easily be incorporated into the platform.

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The plans to re-open the Tropical Bird House have been indefinitely shelved:

Anniversary plans halted - Dudley Zoological Gardens

16. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's a shame, I don't see the problem in upgrading one Tecton at a time. Dudley's never been flush with cash so this seemed cost effective. Let's hope the new plans still incorporate this exhibit!

17. Benosaurus

That's disappointing, but that's officials for you.

However, I found the following sentence in the above article much more interesting...

"...and complete a sponsored walk around our 40-acre site, with all funds raised going towards DZG’s latest conservation project to extend our Bornean orangutan enclosure – which we’ll be revealing more about soon!"

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That would be more than timely. I hope they can eventually do up both the indoors and the outdoors. Should be interesting to read what the final building plan might entail!

19. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Aha!
    Once the details are revealed, I will consider a modest sponsorship for a ZooChatter who wants to have a go at this sponsored walk.

20. Angel

That's such a shame - I was really looking forward to seeing inside this building again not to mention some new species. The process of preserving/restoring a tecton is quite costly so doing one or two at a time is probably the most cost effective way forward. I think there is always the risk that if nothing can be done until proposals are in place for all the tectons then some of them may be too dilapidated to be worth saving. Dudley doesn't have that many places under cover so it would have been a welcome addition in that respect too.

Good news about the orangs - I might just be tempted to have a go at the sponsored walk.