Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 31 Dec 2016.

1. Martin B

Martin B Well-Known Member

Hopefully I am allowed to post this here. My wife and I will be taking part in the Sponsored Walk on 6th March to help raise funds for the upgrade to the orangutan enclosure. If you would like to sponsor us then here is the link to the just giving page..

Read Martin's story

Thanks!

2. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dudley castle from the air

3. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It does give the old castle a different aspect and you don't realise how the old embankment from behind the Meerkat enclosure looks so steep.

4. Evo

Evo Active Member

Does anyone else think that it would be interesting if they moved the giraffes into the bear ravine and built a giraffe house at the left of the enclosure?

5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

It would be interesting but I'm not sure it's a good idea. If anything the giraffes would have less space than before and it would be quite expensive. Why do you suggest it?

6. Evo

Evo Active Member

I just wanted to hear what other people thought and whether it would be a good idea for the zoo

7. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would like to see them on grass, but not sure if that's any good for them at all, I'd assume damp and mud would be an issue.

TNT likes this.
  8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's exactly the reason a lot of places don't keep them on grass. Those places that do tend to keep them on hardstanding for some of the year.

Devi likes this.
  9. lauraexplorer

lauraexplorer New Member

From zoo website:
    Orang utans have lived in their current exhibit for over fifty years, initially sharing the building with gorillas and chimpanzees.

As part of our overall development plan, we aim to redevelop the facilities for the orang utans over three phases, of which Phase One was completed in 2010 and this increased the heated indoor accommodation for the animals by an additional 700 cubic metres. Phase Two will create an entirely separate outdoor exhibit and Phase Three will see the redevelopment of their existing outdoor areas.

Take A Walk on the Wild Side! - Dudley Zoological Gardens

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  10. FunkyGibbon

The phrase entirely separate is intriguing. Of course one wonders where it will be. Does this mean across a path in the current peccary enclosure or something more drastic? Could we be looking at the UK's first O-Line?

TNT and Javan Rhino like this.
  11. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's what I was wondering, it's been a year since I last visited so I can't picture it well, is there a chance this could finally be a use of the other tecton? If I remember it's directly down the hill from the orangs.

12. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

any new bird arrivals at the zoo?

13. FunkyGibbon

Could be but I think the current structure of the bear ravine tecton wouldn't lend itself to orang containment. It would probably be more difficult than a completely empty site. Nonetheless it would be good for the eventual plans for that area to be for a high profile species so they may go in that direction.

All of the above is pure speculation of course.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would imagine it will definately be connected to the existing house/building. When its finished they can then redo the existing outdoor areas without (all) the animals needing to use them. Improvements obviously but it appears the actual building is scheduled to stay indefinately even though its not listed like the Tectons, being much more recent.

15. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both look great but the turtle looked extremely nervous hiding at the top of the waterfall.

The Nile Monitor enclosure is the same size as the Dwarf Crocodile one with the same size pool. When they get over their stagefright they should look awesome.

17. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Black lemurs, Florence and Kagani, as well as collared lemur, Fred, have joined Askham Bryan Wildlife and Conservation Park, with a male Tokay Gecko who has already joined the resident girls in the Reptile House coming in the opposite direction.

Macaw16 likes this.
  18. Benosaurus

19. Benosaurus

Work on the new £20,000 yellow breasted capuchin enclosure is underway.

The old outdoor enclosure has been demolished and a new enclosure, roughly twice the size, is currently being built, which will also include new glass viewing windows.

The indoor area will also doubled in size, with the new-look enclosure incorporating the adjacent black and white lemur house.

The black and white lemur pair have been moved to the former black lemur enclosure at the other end of the Small Primate House. The two black lemurs have relocated to Lemur Wood.

Work should be completed within the next few weeks.

Since introducing the species to the zoo six years ago, DZG has been successful as part of the breeding programme and recently two 4 year old capuchins left DZG for Zoo Schwerin in Germany.
    Capuchin work underway - Dudley Zoological Gardens

20. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

[​IMG]