Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 1 Jan 2019.

1. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Entirely agree with this statement - no lambasting here. The situation with the sacred ibis particularly is utterly ridiculous, considering that almost all the 'crimes' levelled against it have either no basis in fact or were (seemingly) deliberately misinterpreted. There was a 14-year study on the French population that I have included below which makes clear the facts surrounding the issue.

https://abp.bzh/pdfs/m/marion_sacred_ibis_crbiol2013_.pdf

Apologies for dragging the Dudley thread even further off-tangent.

Dormitator likes this.
  2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

While we're making random suggestions for Inca's old home, and apologies if this was already raised and I've missed it, but North American Tree Porcupines would be a nice fit in terms of space, structure and hardiness.

Ned, MagpieGoose, Benosaurus and 3 others like this.
  3. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Yes, me too! The new legislation is scientifically questionable and is already being used as a way to introduce (and get accepted), the idea of banning species. It is not being evenly enforced, thereby discriminating against some at the benefit of others; and it misses off spp which are politically 'difficult' to deal with. The one UK endemic which is in imminent danger of extinction due to the presence of an invasive spp is the Scottish Wildcat. IF this act was being evenly and fairly enforced, then the first taxon to be controlled/banned by it should have been the domestic cat. Clearly DEFRA are making their species choices using political and not scientific criteria, and if an exception can be made in this instance, then it can in any other less critical situation.

DesertRhino150 and Brum like this.
  4. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it's completely unacceptable to have any kind of bear exhibited in a small pit these days (Inca was an exception). Even though sloth and sun bears are relatively small, the enclosure still wouldn't feel big enough for them, especially for multiple individuals. Husbandry would also be really poor due to the constraints of the enclosure; no separate outdoor enclosure, no holding area, dens next door to each other. What if there were fights or cubs were born and the male had to be separated off?

Another reason why they won't get sloth or sun bears is because roughly this time next year there should be 3-4 European brown bears going into a naturalistic 1.5 acre enclosure in the Bear Ravine.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Interesting - I had heard this ridiculous idea of enforcing the rule at genus level was in place, but after Chester started to keep Indian Muntjac (congeneric with a species on the list) I thought perhaps sense had been seen!

Given the fact that DEFRA are responsible for pushing so hard for the legislation, and enforcing it so strictly, I am not holding my breath.

6. Andrew Swales

Not sure that what has been already done with Nasua can be taken that the same is being done at genus level for ALL spp. The risk-assessment we have is purely the one for Coatis and the implication therein is that these r/a's are being done on an individual basis.

A generic approach will have very interesting practical consequences when they get around to adding Canada Geese, domestic cats, bamboo, eucaluptus, miscanthus, buddleia.... Perhaps this is where the EU's target list of 10,000 'species' comes from?

It is most unfortunate that many zoos and zoo associations seem supportive of this ridiculous and unscientific legislation. It appears to have crept in from Brussels unchallenged, and even added to by our Government - we must hope that it is an early casualty of Brexit.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Mar 2019
    FBBird likes this.
  7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Time will tell, as you note.... though as I observed above, as this is something we pushed for Brussels to bring in, I fear it will be left untouched and unchallenged no matter what.

(Latest species on the list is Lampropeltis getula, in case anyone reading this thread hasn't heard - now that one will cause chaos!)

8. Andrew Swales

It will be interesting to see how many new 'alien' species establish themselves in the UK as a direct result of this legislation. Apparently the instances of dumped Raccoons and Raccoon Dogs are increasing dramatically...

FBBird likes this.
  9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wasn't there also a suggestion that some of the French birds were of wild origin?

And NOBODY saw that coming.....

No way Canada Geese can be other than desirable -- handsome, musical, and delicious if there's a surplus. How can anything that weighs twelve pounds and tastes good, possibly be a nuisance?

Funny thing is, the reason we have Chinese (Reeves') Muntjac in UK, is that the Indian ones tried at Woburn, went round killing dogs. See 'The Years of Transition'.

I'm also told that muntjac are delicious.

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Mar 2019
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Angel

Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.
  12. Angel

13. Angel

Kifaru Bwana and FunkyGibbon like this.
  14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought the same when I saw the article, I just hope that the badgers don't prove to be a negative for Dudley in the end. The consequences for Dudley would probably be far more serious if they suffered Paignton 's current issues

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would think a badger population in Dudley is likely to be TB free due to being surrounded by urbanisation, so isolated from other populations?

17. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We can hope you are right

18. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The risk is smaller but the zoo still needs to be very careful. There are several acres of woodland to the north of the zoo, woodland that is only 200 metres along a quiet road from the local Wren's Nest nature reserve, which itself is not too far from farmland, so they are not completely cut off.

As we know badgers can travel large distances in just one night in order to find food and other setts, as well as the potential for the disease to be carried by other animals such as rats/mice.

I'm surprised the zoo has tolerated the badgers for so many years given the potential risk of disease and damage. Not to mention the fact they have completely taken over one enclosure and their sett is underneath the foundations of the top of the vintage chairlift.

Apparently there are a further FIVE separate setts across the zoo's 40 acre site, but the zoo is quite secretive as to where they are. I think one of them may be behind the camel paddock as I remember following a trail of prints in the sand of the adjacent playground towards there as a child.

Pertinax likes this.
  19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not as isolated as I thought maybe... Badgers can certainly get everywhere- I saw large and very active setts on exposed coastal cliffs in the South West last week.

20. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where in the South west was that? :)