Join our zoo community

Dunfermline Avifauna - edited!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by lowland anoa, 21 Aug 2016.

1. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member

Well, seeing as my old birdpark idea had a lot of mistakes and controversial designs, I thought it was best if I created another thread based on the old and worthless thread, but edited to solve mistakes. However, the design will not be the same, as I keep changing my ideas to add exciting and rare birds. The park will focus on birds in need of conservation help and many birds that are not common in captivity in Europe and the USA. The park will still have some common species such as flamingos and starlings. The park'll be about 70-100 acres, this could be smaller or larger, but never mind.

Here are the exhibits:
    African Journey: From North to South
    Asian Trails
    The Isolated Continent
    The Modern Dinosaurs
    Colourful Amazon
    The Birds of the Seven Seas
    Penguins of Scotland!
    North America: The Mystery of the Quetzal
    Our Home Continent

Hope the new park will be good, with a few mistakes, not like the last time! Hope you all will like the renewed park!

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member

The Isolated Continent, is it Australia?

3. lowland anoa

Yes, as easy as Australia isn't connected to any other continent! :p

4. lowland anoa

North America: The Mystery of the Quetzal's first part should be out on Tuesday or Wednesday, if I have enough time.

5. lowland anoa

I'm really sorry for the delay, but The Birds Of The Seven Seas, should be out tonight, rather than North America: The Mystery of the Quetzal.

6. lowland anoa

The entrance of the zoo is designed to feel like you are in an aviary, with speakers playing bird sounds to make the entrance more realistic. There are a few tropical plants and a waterfall with koi carps just swimming around. Visitors can book their tickets online or via the entrance. Adult price is £12.00, kids from 5-18 is £6.00, babies is free and seniors from 60+ is £8.00. When you enter the Avifauna, you'll see a sign pointing the direction to Birds of the Seven Seas with a sign with a excited Peruvian Pelican with a bubble saying "Come on, to see us! The exhibit uses a single large man-made lake with saltwater. The entrance is designed to look like a pirate ship, this is the indoor viewing. Guests remain inside for the duration of the exhibit. In the middle of the ship is a café and a keeper speech area. The first enclosure is for Peruvian Pelican, the highlight of this particular exhibit. The pelicans also reside with Great Cormorant and White-breasted Cormorant. The exhibit is of beach design with rocks at the back. The land area is sandy with long grass at the back of the beach. The water area is about ten foot deep with rocks and pebbles at the bottom. During feeding times, live sardines and anchovies are released in the water to stimulate our birds' catching skills like in the wild. At the back is the indoor quarters that visitors can view during the winter via a path to the left of the enclosure. Across from the pelicans and cormorant is a pelican enclosure with Eastern Brown Pelican and Laughing Gull. The enclosure is very rocky with a small beach area and a large water area. At the back is a replica of a wooden bridge. Near the enclosure is a spacious enclosure for American White Pelican and Inca Tern. This enclosure is similar of design as the second enclosure.

Here are the amount of European collections that holds the shown species:
    Peruvian Pelican: 3 collections (2 German & 1 French
    Great Cormorant: Zero collections
    White-breasted Cormorant: 1 collection (Parc de Branféré in France)
    Eastern Brown Pelican: 3 collections (all German)
    Laughing Gull: 1 collection (Tierpark Berlin in Germany)
    American White Pelican: 5 collections (4 German & 1 Czech)
    Inca Tern: 28 collections: (9 German, 1 Belgian, 3 Danish, 3 French, 1 Italian, 4 Dutch, 1 Portuguese and 6 British)

7. lowland anoa

Have just started typing up the next part of Birds of the Seven Seas

8. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

How safe are pelicans with other birds? They tend occasionally to try and eat cats, ducks and the like. Actually they have been proven to eat grown ducks but I have no idea how common it is.

Yes, I know some zoos keep them with ducks but I have to wonder how many go missing...

Being much larger I guess big cormorant and gannet species are safer with them as adults. But the gulls?

9. bongorob

In 1972 Audubon Park Zoo, New Orleans opened a walk-through water bird aviary. The entrance measured 3 x 3.7 metres, no hight given, and the main aviary was 36 x 15.2 x 15.8 metres. and included a pool covering 184 square metres. visitors oberved the birds from a 50 metre long elevated walkway.

species housed were

ducks
    pintail, redhead, blue-winged teal, American green-winged teal, red-billed whistling duck, fulvous whistling duck, wood duck, Mandarin duck, snow goose

herons

scarlet ibis, glossy ibis, roseate spoonbill, white-necked heron, common egret

pelicans

American white, brown

rails
    American coot

gulls
    common gull, Inca tern

cormorants
    guanay, olivaceous.

Reference: International Zoo Yearbook volume 13 page 228.

10. SealPup

Such aviaries are amazing, but how common is predation, especially nest predation? TBH having seen a heron eat a pigeon... ;)

Historically, mixed flights were not designed for breeding any of the species, and relied on size to minimise antagonism. Including the risk of predation ofc.

11. bongorob

Nothing more was published in the Zoo Yerbook. I assume predation and inter species conflicts were common, but I do not have any evidence one way or the other.

SealPup likes this.
  12. bongorob

I copletely forgot. chester kept pelicans in the waterfoiwl aviary for at least 10 years/ They seemed to keep themselves to themselves and seldom strayed from their island,it was nice to see them perching in the trees occasionally.

SealPup likes this.
  13. SealPup

Perhaps the predation is atypical/learned behaviour. But it is well documented by now and it would be nice to know more about "accidents" with pelicans in zoos.

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

Northeastern Wisconsin Zoo keeps an American White Pelican with several species of ducks, and used to keep it with a Turkey Vulture. I don't think there was any problems.

15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Wow! This is an exquisitely detailed fantasy zoo! Many of the similar threads just limit to the species list, numbers and sexes of each and very brief description of enclosures. But adding entry prices, special design of signage, ambient of exhibit entry, location of keeper talks, ways of enrich the behaviour of the birds, etc... it's much more realistic and easy to translate your mind into the visit to the zoo. Congrats!

By the way, I saw pelicans housed with cormorants (and also, even more often, with waterfowl) in various zoos - and assumed they never had a problem- and I think that if pelicans are enough well feeded with fish, they will not attack pigeons, ducks and gulls. But there is a problem of a different kind: great cormorants and white-breasted cormorants are so closely related that many authors considerate them as subspecies of the same species. So, housed together, they will interbred making hybrids that can be fertile with great probability... and the population will turn slowly entirely hybrid if not managed specifically for avoid that.