Join our zoo community

Durrell 2013 updates

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rick J, 31 Dec 2012.

1. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I might be being somewhat premature here, as we're in 2012 for another few hours yet at the time of posting!

I wanted to start this thread with the intention of keeping it updated throughout the year with new births and developments. I am embargoed regarding several impending stories of each at present, but 2013 looks like it's going to be an exciting year for Durrell!

Throughout 2013, I want to commit to keeping up with informing people on the work that the Trust undertakes, both in Jersey and elsewhere, as I feel we could do more to engage people. Look out for something really different from Durrell around February too! You may be surprised!

Rick

2. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rick do you already know when the training calender will be finalized? I missed some trainings and was wondering if they would take place in 2013 again?

3. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi there, I will check with the Academy (it's not called the ITC anymore... re-branded earlier in the year) when I'm back at work tomorrow. I'll relay the message to you on here, or email me at [email protected] if I lose this thread... :eek:

Incidentally, I posted this (or thought I had) in the 'Durrell' sub-forum, and initially thought it had been removed. I found it by using the search function, do I have a setting somewhere that I need to change? Likewise, earlier in 2012 I created a thread asking for advice and opinions on Durrell's Facebook presence, and couldn't find it again to check for replies! :(

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

when you post the thread there's a drop-box next to the "thread title" line where you have to chose the zoo's name to add it to that zoo's sub-forum. If you just post it from the Durrell sub-forum it doesn't automatically add it there itself.

5. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi David, did you still want me to find out about Tenrecs? I know we have none on-site, but I think there may be some of our field projects that encompass them in the general habitat evaluation and restoration sense, everything being linked and all.

Rick

6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There should be plenty of tenrec data stashed @ Durrell from the days when they kept them.

7. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Gorillas.

It was mentioned on another thread that a webcam may be being installed, any idea on that?:confused:

With 'Budongo' making an impact in his first year, it should be great if Durrell have another baby or two. ;)

8. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

We are having technical issues with all of our webcams, and actually need to find some kind sponsor to help us upgrade our aging servers... we just don't have the capacity to stream anything at present, as funds are going into upgrading our heating, lighting and insulation to be much more sustainable. Then there are plans at foot for much more capability with herps, given the Asian turtle crisis and the rampaging chytridiomycosis epidemic that is contributing massively to the threats facing amphibians globally. Herp houses use a lot of energy by nature, and we are having to carefully think how to tackle that issue.

I can tell you...

Sulawesi crested Macaque born on 04/01/2013... the first primate of the year! Baby and Mother doing well, and baby already holding onto Mum independently.

Narrow-striped mongoose from Newquay Zoo out of quarantine and introduced to part of the group with no alarming issues.

Baby gorilla Indigo doing very well, now coming 'off mum' for very brief intervals... Kahilli has been seen showing him to the other females, and Badongo is doing a very good job of establishing and maintaining orders... he's a really good silverback!

Lastly, it's Gerald Durrell's birthday today!

I'll hopefully have big (good!) news for you in a short while! Things are on the move here in Jersey!

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Must say its really excellent to have this sort of news feed from Jersey- for sometime its been quite hard to glean news about what's going on in the actual collection- so please continue posting.;)

10. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Thanks Pertinax, part of my plan for 2013 is to improve awareness of both collection and conservation programmes.. and in doing so, hopefully engage some more public interest in what the Trust stands for, and does.

I am optimistic that there are things on the horizon that will put Durrell back on the map, as it were, and I actually can't wait to be able to tell people!

Rick:D

11. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Our five Angonoka 'ploughshare' tortoises are now out of quarantine, but under extremely heavy security due to the very real threat of theft by purveyors of the international illegal pet trade.

The only way they can be viewed by booking a behind the scenes tour of the Herp house... I won't post a link for fear that it looks like I'm spamming. They are around four years old, still vividly coloured, and quite small. Charming little tortoises!

12. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

If you haven't seen Durrell's Facebook already, you may be pleased to hear that we are expecting not one, but two new arrivals in our Sumatran orangutan group later this year!

Both 30 y/o 'Annette' and 25 y/o 'Dana' are expecting, in April and May respectively... the father is, of course, our dominant flanged male 'Dagu'.

As I mentioned already, 2013 looks to be quite an exciting year for Durrell, and there will hopefully be more good news I can reveal in a month or so!

You can read more here; Durrell look forward to the patter of more tiny feet | Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Excellent news - any increase in the number of Sumatran orangs is to be greatly welcomed, and if both births go well this will mean 4 arrivals in less than a year when one takes the Chester births into consideration. Shame nowhere else in the UK seems interested in holding this species rather than Bornean.

14. orangutan

orangutan Active Member

Which other orang-utans are in the group? Apart from Dagu, Dana and Anette?

15. Pertinax

The trouble is that at present anywhere that has existing Orangutan accomodation would have to rehouse their Borneans first, in order to then take Sumatrans, and that is not so easy to do, so it might require a 'new build' somewhere before we see a new Sumatran holder in the UK.

16. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi Orangutan (!)

We presently have:

Dagu (27) - dominant male
    Gina (50) - matriarch
    Annette (30) - female (gravid)
    Dana (25) - female (gravid)
    Jiwa (13) - male (Dagu x Mawar) - (learning difficulties, due to complications during birth)
    Jaya (8) male - (Dagu x Gina) developing cheek pads and beginning to challenge for dominance slightly, so may have to be rehoused in 2013.

Hope that helps!

R

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Is Jiwa showing normal physical development?

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Colchester's new enclosure was originally built with sumatrans planned, but the female died, leaving rajang alone. The young bornean male was brought in as company, but since moving on one bornean wouldn't be too difficult, i would think they would be the most likely at some stage.

19. Pertinax

Yes I think that would have been the scenario if Rajang had died rather than Djambe.

20. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi Gigit. Yes, physically normal to all intents and purposes. His behavior is different, and he's obviously displaying mannerisms that show that he is 'wired' differently than the others. But he's an endearing and gentle orangutan, and seems to get on well with the girls in the group, if not always with Jaya.

He has had a vasectomy, so there will never be any offspring sired by Jiwa.