Join our zoo community

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust Durrell news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 2 Apr 2013.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its possible they may be allocated at least one from there:)- each one that leaves SL is a plus IMO as I don't think it is a suitable exhibit for them at all. Perhaps its too much to hope for more than one leaving there though, (unless the recent bad publicity they've had has any effect on such a decision), which would still leave SL with e.g. one pair, but that is considerably better than the FIVE they had originally.:(

Last edited: 8 Jun 2013
  2. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

3. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

4. Pertinax

Choughs at Durrell.

I've just been reading the Chough Blog update. It appears the release of the birds at Sorrell has been delayed because they are moulting so are not in peak fitness and could also lose their transmitters.

Also one pair at Durrell bred but the four chicks DNS. The 2nd pair appear to have only built a nest.

5. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Very sad news about the chough chicks. The project is way more complex than most would imagine.

6. Pertinax

There is nothing more disheartening than getting a pair of birds to hatch chicks, only to have them die later.:( Hopefully they will re-nest successfully, next year if its too late for them again for this year.

Remarkable too that the original male on the Lizard in Cornwall (i've seen this pair) has been ousted by a younger male, apparently in the middle of the breeding season- very odd behaviour. :confused:

Last edited: 11 Jun 2013
  7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Wonderful news and great that you managed to film it! Congratulations to Dana, Dagu and all concerned :)

8. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Dana's infant is very big, seems to be suckling really well, and making Dana very tired! Confirmed officially as a female too... to be named soon.

9. TriDV

TriDV Well-Known Member

Visit today

Visited Durrell today, my first ever visit. I felt somewhat emotional which surprised me....., may have been the Jambo statue, the Gerald Durrell story 'museum', seeing the manor house and walls and Lee Durrell walking around with guests. The great man himself had such an impact on me as a youth and I finally saw his park. I love Paigntons valley but this place took my breath away! A truly special day with lots of intimate encounters. I love the fact it was peaceful and designed so the animals were hard to spot.
    The staff were busy unloading new tree trunks into the bear exhibit by crane in anticipation of the new female from Germany arriving soon. I was hugely impressed by the Orang islands where the whole group were very active.
    Does anyone know where the Pygmy Hogs are held?
    What a place, I'm still buzzing! Aloha.

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They don't keep any Pygmy Hogs and never have,they only work with them in-situ!

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I know what you mean! I remember being very excited in anticipation of my first visit some years ago, and I wasn't let down. I'm still thinking about my second visit in April when I could find nothing negative to say. They have such high standards, way ahead of some other zoos.

12. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

My first and only visit was in 1984, with my Dad. I've not wanted to go back again since, as I don't want to tarnish that memory: a combination of the zoo itself (and the importance it had as I was growing up and 'discovering' what zoos were about), the role that Gerald Durrell had in my education (as we arrived at the zoo, he was getting out of a car in the car park; it is one of the very few times in my life when I have been genuinely speechless), and family stuff - nothing will ever come close to that childhood moment. I will go back, one day, I am sure - but, as with other posters above, it will be an emotional experience, for all sorts of reasons.

13. Pertinax

I believe in the 1980s some were held in quarantine for Jersey, at Zurich Zoo but they died off without getting any further and so they never got them.

14. Pertinax

They always have had, right from their very earliest days.

I've been about half a dozen times over the years, I hope to make maybe one more visit sometime.

15. Pertinax

Any idea which German zoo it will come from- or where a new male will be sourced from too?

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Will check the IZY's tonight. Pretty sure Jersey maintained some, some breeding took place .. yet no sustainability in husbandry in the end. Hence, the entire program was relocated to Assam in India much later.

17. TriDV

TriDV Well-Known Member

I'll find out for you on Sunday.
    I liked the mixed exhibit there for the bears (empty), coati's and howlers. I also enjoyed seeing the Orang/Gibbon mix - proving that it can be done (come on Paignton Curators!).
    Durrell has the feel of a Shaldon but the organisational structure and fauna of a Paignton. I return in a few days for one more immersion.
    *I had a thought last night that Shoebills would fit great in this collection, somewhere down in the valley?

Last edited: 3 Jul 2013
  18. Pertinax

They never got to Jersey, only as far as Zurich- I am pretty sure on that.;) (I've seen them at the centre in Assam.)

19. Pertinax

Thankyou. I was rather hoping this was a chance for another bear to get moved from South Lakes;), but maybe not.:( I agree the Jersey exhibit is first class for them. It would be good to see another younger breeding pair established there.

IMO Jersey's interior/inside Orangutan house is among the very best I know- given its extreme height. Whereas Paignton's indoors is quite ordinary but their outdoor island with natural trees, pips Jersey's outside. A pity both can't be on one site!

Gibbons would look great on Paignton's Orang Island I agree.

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Personally I was hoping South Lakes would be forced to go out of the bears entirely, so that Jersey could get a new female and Chester a new male, but it isn't exactly going to happen ;)